Contact
 
 
County
San Saba
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 3,099
2000 Census - 2,626
Nearby
Towns
San Saba, Texas
null
San Saba Texas History:
Ranchers and cotton growers began settling on the banks of the San Saba River in 1855. In 1856, San Saba was elected the county seat of the newly organized San Saba County. The community that developed became the political and commercial center of San Saba County. The San Saba post office was established in 1857, the same year the county courthouse was completed. By the mid-1870s, the town had a school, churches, two newspapers, a bank, cotton mills and cotton gins, a bank and 1,200 residents. The population began to decline around 1900, but the town began growing again in 1911 after the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway built a line through San Saba. San Saba was one of the few small Texas towns to weather the Great Depression without a huge loss of residents or businesses. San Saba incorporated around 1940. Today agriculture, ranching, the manufacturing of livestock loading equipment, poultry feed production, hunting, and meat processing are important industries. The town is known as “The Pecan Capital of the World.” San Saba is located on the San Saba River and approximately 10 miles west of the Colorado River at the intersection of SH 16 (High Street) and U.S. 190 (Wallace Street), 41.7 miles northeast of Brady, 49.5 miles southeast of Brownwood, 22 miles southwest of Goldthwaite, 36.7 miles northwest of Lampasas, 59 miles northwest of Burnet, 44 miles northwest of Tow and Lake Buchanan, 32 miles north of Llano, Texas.
 
San Saba Historic Downtown Walking Tour:
The tour begins on the south side of Wallace at South Cherokee Street, and includes buildings on both streets. Click on the above link for tour information. The 1857 Burden Hotel now serves as a law office; it is located west on the courthouse square in the middle of the 100 block of South Cherokee Street. Also of interest is the 1914 First United Methodist Church. This church was built of San Saba Marble and is the only marble Methodist Church in the U.S. The church is located at 204 Brown Street. (325) 372-5141. Email   
 
CR 200 Beveridge Suspension Bridge, 1896:
This bridge was built by the Flinn-Moyer Company, and spans the San Saba River. It is located about a mile northwest of San Saba on China Creek Road (CR 200) just north of the locally famous Wedding Oak. It was originally used for one lane vehicular traffic. It was restored in 2009 and is now open for pedestrian traffic only.
 
CR 204 San Saba County through Truss Bridge, 1910:
This bridge spans the San Saba River on CR 204, 5 miles northwest of San Saba. 
 
Regency Suspension Bridge, 1939:
One of 8 left in Texas, it spans 340 feet over the Colorado River, and is located at the intersection of Mills CR 433 and San Saba CC 137, road west of Regency, Texas. The Austin Bridge Company of Dallas spent six months building it; it was paid for by Mills and San Saba Counties. During WWII, locals used the bridge as a meeting and dance place. The bridge has been restored and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Regency is located 18 miles northwest of San Saba, Texas. 
 
San Saba County Courthouse, 1911:
The courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance style by Walter Chamberlain & Company. The courthouse is built of brick and sandstone. A pioneer citizen’s memorial stands on the northwest corner of the courthouse lawn. The 2010 San Saba County census was 6,131. (325) 372-3635.  500 East Wallace Street.
 
San Saba County Jail, 1884:
The jail was built of blue limestone in Italianate Texas style. It is the oldest surviving building in San Saba County. A 12-foot-high board fence (built after an 1886 jail break) has been replaced. The jailer lived on first floor. The lot cost $300 and the jail construction cost $13,000. The jail is still serving as a jail. The jail is located on East Commerce and South Water Street.
 
San Saba County Historical Museum:
The museum features exhibits depicting the history of San Saba County including the original San Saba post office window, furnishings, farm and ranch tools, machinery, quilts and other household and personal items from the 1800s. One hundred year old cabins are located on the museum grounds. Two 100 year old log cabins are located nearby. The museum is located in Mill Pond Park. Open Apr-Sept, Sat-Sun, 1:30pm-4pm; tours are available. The park is located approximately 0.5 miles east of the courthouse on U.S. 190. Email  
 
Rylander Memorial Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, genealogy resources, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 11am-5pm; Sat, 10am-2pm; closed Sundays. (325) 372-3079. 103 South Live Oak Street. Email