Contact
 
 
County
San Patricio
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 395
2000 Census - 318
Nearby
Towns
San Patricio, Texas
null
San Patricio Texas History:
In 1828, the Spanish government granted James McGloin and John McMullen permission to settle 200 Catholic settler families in Texas. The first settlers were Irish men and women from New York. They arrived at Mesquite Landing on the Guadalupe River in late October, 1829. The settlers then made their way to Refugio where they chose a settlement site where the Atascocita Road forded the Nueces River, approximately 2 miles from the Mexican Fort Lipantitlan. They arrived at this site by November 1830 and built crude temporary shelters. A year later, eight of the settlers received land grants from Land Commissioner Jose Antonio Saucedo. The land commissioner issued an additional 76 land permits in 1934. That same year the townsite of San Patricio de Hibernia was platted by surveyor William O’Docharty in 1834 and the municipality of San Patricio was established. In 1835, men from San Patricio participated in the capturing of Fort Lipantitlan. In 1836, the Battle of San Patricio occurred between the Col. Francis W. Johnson’s Matamoros Expedition men and the troops of Mexican Gen. Jose Urrea. Most of Johnson’s men were captured or killed and the dead were interred in what is now called the “Old Cemetery on the Hill.” After the battle, the Mexican Army remained in the area and was a menace to San Patricio residents, causing many of them to flee to Victoria and other safer sites where most of them remained until 1845 when General Zachary Taylor arrived in South Texas in and stationed a dragoon of troops in San Patricio. When San Patricio County was formed in 1836, San Patricio County was designated the county seat. The San Patricio Post Office was established in 1848 and the Texas legislature incorporated the town in 1853. The town grew over the next two decades as more people arrived and ranching and farming became profitable. The overland Cotton Road crossed the Nueces River in town and the town merchants benefited from area from the wagon train crews who purchased supplies in town. In the 1880s, San Patricio had churches, schools, cotton gins, a gristmill, general stores, a saloon, and approximately 200 residents. The town began to decline after Sinton became the San Patricio County seat in 1894. A group of citizens persuaded the Texas legislature to disincorporate the city. It did not until the City of Corpus Christi tried to annex the town in 1972. This attempted land grab by Corpus Christi caused renewed interest in the town’s history, and the San Patricio Restoration Society build replicas of some of the town’s early buildings, including the 1872 San Patricio County Courthouse. San Patricio is located on FM 666 on the Nueces River, 30 miles east of Sandia, 24 miles southeast of Mathis, 24.4 miles southwest of Sinton, and 27 miles northwest of Corpus Christi, Texas. 
 
Interesting Town Sites & Courthouse (Constitution) Square:
The Old San Patricio Store is located on FM 666 in San Patricio. Constitution Square is located nearby and features the replica of the 1872 San Patricia County Courthouse, a memorial commemorating San Patricio residents who died fighting the Mexican Army during the Texas Revolution, and Texas Historical Markers commemorating Josephea (Chipita) Rodriguez, Courthouses of San Patricio County, the Battle of San Patricio, the Founding of San Patricio de Hibernia, and the Old Cemetery on the Hill. Another monument dedicated to those who fought the Mexican Army in the Battle of San Patricio and who died at Fort Lipantitlan is located in the Old San Patricio Cemetery on the Hill on Fitzgerald Street, north of town. The square is located on FM 666 (Main Street) in San Patricio. (361) 547-5561.
 
1872 San Patricia County Courthouse Replica:
San Patricio was designated the Nueces County seat in 1836. After Sinton was declared the county seat in 1894, San Patricio began to decline. The original courthouse burned, and in 1982, the San Patricio Restoration Society constructed a replica according to the original specifications. The replica courthouse is located on Constitution Square on FM 666, down the street from the Old San Patricio Store. (361) 547-5561.
 
McGloin Homestead, 1855:
This house is the former home of James McGloin. It was the first frame building built in the colony of San Patricio de Hibernia, and is Texas’ only remaining empresario home. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It now houses a B&B. Tours are available from the Corpus Christi Area Heritage Society by appointment. (361) 882-8691. The house is located between Bluntzer and Mathis, Texas off CR 60, 2 miles from FM 666. When coming from Bluntzer, go left on CR 60 at the Old San Patricio Trading Company.
 
San Patricio Historical Museum:
The museum features exhibits and artifacts depicting the history of old San Patricio and San Patricio County, and the restored Mckeown House. The San Patricio Restoration Society built this museum. The society hosts the annual Halloween Haunt featuring hay rides and a haunted house. They also host the annual World Championship Rattlesnake Races as a museum benefit project. (361) 547-5561. 4638 Main Street (FM 666). Email
 
McKeown House, 1875:
This house is located across the street from the replica of the 1872 San Patricio County Courthouse. The Old San Patricio Restoration Society restored this house. (361) 547-5561.

Event Venue - San Patricio County Fairgrounds& Civic Center, Sinton, TX:
Amenities at this beautiful facility include the arena, horse stalls, RV parking, a 50,000 square foot event center with bleachers, fans and heat, an event hall, and outdoor event space. The 10,000 square foot Civic Center features a catering kitchen, a state-of-the-art sound system, lighting, and exhibit and meeting spaces. The fairgrounds and Civic Center host weddings, meetings, dances, craft shows, carnivals, fairs, festivals, horse events, cook-offs, and the annual World Championship Rattlesnake Races and Saint Patrick’s Day event. This facility is located in Sinton, Texas. (361) 364-9580. 219 West 5th Street, Sinton, Texas 78387. Email  

South Texas Trail Riders Ride, Corpus Christi to San Antonio, Feb 4 – Feb 12, 2016:
This group hosts an annual covered wagon trail ride from Corpus Christi to the San Antonio Livestock & Rodeo. This annual trail ride begins with registration in Edroy, Texas. On Thursday, February 4, riders register at Ed Cot Co-Op Gin in Edroy (5019 CR 51, 78370). On Friday the group rides 19.9 miles from Edroy to Tynan. Lunch is at Hartzendorf Gin on FM 796. They will spend the night in Tynan at the recreation center. On Saturday they ride 19 miles and lunch at the Skidmore Fire Department on the corner of 4th and East Refugio Streets. They spend the night at the Beeville Coliseum, 214 South FM 351. On Sunday they ride 21 miles to Pettus. Monday’s 22.5 mile ride takes them to Kenedy. Lunch is at the Waylon Rouse Ranch on CR 743. They spend the night at the Karnes County Show Barn, located on U.S. 181, between Kenedy and Karnes City, and adjacent to Otto Kaiser Memorial Hospital. On Tuesday, they ride 15.5 miles to Falls City. Wednesday’s 18.1 mile ride takes them to Floresville where they will overnight at the Wilson County Show Barn, 435 SH 97 East. They lunch in Poth, Texas. On Thursday, they ride 13.8 miles to the Bexar County Sheriffs Posse Arena, 11755 South Foster Road, 78223. Various organizations host meals, dances and live entertainment in each host city. The group also hosts shorter trail rides to other small Texas towns. Current contact information is available on their website.
 
Annual St. Patrick's Mission Barbeque and Raffle, March:
Activities include a chicken barbeque, a raffle and auction, and a country store. This annual event is held at the Mission Church from 11am-3pm. (361) 438-8165.  
 
Annual World Championship Rattlesnake Races & St. Patrick’s 2 Day Celebration, Mid-March:
This annual two day event occurs the third weekend of March. Over 5,000 attend each day of this event. Festivities include live music, cold beer, a St. Patrick’s Hat Contest, great food including fried rattlesnake, fun children’s activities, free arena games, rattlesnake races, rattlesnake handling, the Old West Riding Company entertainment program, and exhibitions. The rattlesnake races begin at 1pm. A $20 entry fee applies. Those not bringing their own rattler will be furnished one. The Rattlesnake Races Poker Run begins at noon at the Old San Patricio museum and ends back at the San Patricio Rattlesnake Grounds. This approximately 62 mile route goes around Lake Corpus Christi; the format is Five Card Draw. This event is hosted by the Old San Patricio Restoration Society. The 2015 event was cancelled due to rain. The Restoration Society planned to use the 2015 proceeds to furnish the 1870s McAllen House located adjacent to the museum. The Restoration Society is located in San Patricio, Texas. The mailing address is 4638 Main Street, Mathis, Texas. (361) 547-5561. Emailil
 
Annual Halloween Haunt at San Patricio Historical Museum:
Features haunted hay rides and a haunted house; small fee applies. The museum is located at 4638 Main Street (FM 666). (361) 547-5561. Email
 
Callista Creek Farm:
Brien and Terri Nicolau raise grass-fed Gulf Coast Sheep, a heritage sheep breed which is on the endangered breed list. They also are a venue for training herding dogs. Check for availability of meat and wool. (361) 442-9437. (361) 774-1077. The farm is located at 1098 CR 302, Sandia, Texas 78383. Email