Contact
 
 
County
Fort Bend
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 30,618
2000 Census - 24,043
Nearby
Towns
Rosenberg, Texas
null
Rosenberg Texas History:
In 1880, the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway extended its tracks through the area but bypassed the town of Richmond when that town refused to give the railroad a right-of-way. The railroad established the station three miles west of Richmond at the crossroads of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe, and the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railroads. The Santa Fe Railroad purchased 200 acres and platted the town of Rosenberg and its town square between the Brazos River and the railroads. At that time the town had a store, a saloon, and Mrs. Ebell’s Hotel, though most residents lived in tents. The Rosenberg post office was established in 1881. The 1900 population was approximately 1,000 residents, many of them Czechs, Germans and Poles. Rosenberg incorporated in 1902. Today petroleum products, farming and agribusinesses are important components of the local economy. The town is a great place to view lots of trains! Rosenberg is located on the Brazos River and on the western city limits of Richmond, at the intersection of U.S. 59 and SH 36, 27 miles northeast of Wharton, 11 miles north of Needville, 33 miles east of Eagle Lake, 16.5 miles southeast of Wallis, 18 miles south of Katy, 36 miles southwest of Houston, 21 miles southwest of Missouri City, 16.5 miles southwest of Sugar Land, and 33 miles northwest of Columbia, Texas. 
 
Historic Rosenberg, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“(The town was) founded on a site in original Mexican land grant of early settler Henry Scott, where a small, nameless shipping point existed on the Brazos early as 1830. The Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad had tracks here before 1860. Town developed after the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad arrived in 1880, built a station where it crossed the B. B. B. & C., and in 1883 bought and platted a 200-acre site with a central square between the Brazos and the railroad. Town was named for Henry Rosenberg of Galveston, a financial backer and president of G. C. & S. F. Count Joseph Telfener, an Italian investor, set up offices here in 1881 to build New York, Texas & Mexican Railway, which extended to Victoria. R. T. Mulcahy, called "Father of Rosenberg," arrived in 1883, and for 40 years promoted schools, business, and government. First newspaper, "The Silver X-Ray," was founded in 1895. Methodist and Baptist churches were active before 1900 when town was incorporated. In 1912 came city water and electric lights, and chartering of a Boy Scout troop (one of the first in Texas). Oil and sulphur discoveries and highway development after 1920 have made Rosenberg a center of trade and steady growth.” The marker is located at City Hall at 2110 4th Street.
 
Historic Rosenberg Post Office, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“This post office was established in 1881, a year after Rosenberg was founded on the newly laid route of the Santa Fe Railroad. Early post office locations include a hotel and a general store. Parcel Post service began in 1913, and by 1928 Rosenberg's Post Office was handling mail from 24 mail trains per day. The U. S. Congress authorized the building of a district post office at 2103 Avenue G in 1939. Home delivery began in 1948. The 1939 structure was expanded and modernized in 1966-67. The history of postal service in Rosenberg reflects the growth and development of the community.”
 
Historic Rosenberg Cemetery:
Formerly known as the Woodmen of the World Cemetery, graves date back to the early 1890s. Those interested in Woodmen of the World tombstones may view a large number of them at the Cementerio Navarro Historico in Lockhart, Texas. The Rosenberg Cemetery is located at the intersection of Avenue D and Magnolia Street, adjacent to Garcia Memorial Park.