Contact
 
 
Counties
Harris, Waller
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 2,326
2000 Census - 2,092
Nearby
Towns
Waller, Texas
null
Waller Texas History:
In 1884 K.H. Faulkner filed a plat establishing the town of Waller; he named it for Edwin Waller. The post office was established the same year. “Uncle Doc” Sanders opened the town’s first general store. The town’s boundaries were extended when the town was formally platted in 1889. By 1897 the town had 500 residents. The primary crops in this farming community were cotton, corn, and fruits and berries. The town suffered extensive damage from the 1900 Galveston Hurricane. The “God’s Mercy (General) Store” was established in approximately 1918. Goods were marked at cost and customers paid cost plus what percentage profit they felt was appropriate. Waller became a stop on the Houston and Texas Central Railroad. Local transportation for visitors was provided by Ed and Bob Robertson’s livery stable. Waller incorporated in 1947. Area farmer still grow peanuts, watermelons, and other vegetables and fruits. Some residents commute to work in Houston and other nearby towns. Waller is located on U.S. 290/SH 6, 30.6 miles southeast of Navasota, 32 miles southeast of Brenham, 9.5 miles southeast of Hempstead, 5.6 miles southeast of Prairie View, 20 miles southwest of Tomball, 58 miles west of Kingwood, 43 miles northwest of Houston, 16.5 miles northwest of Cypress, 5.3 miles northwest of Hockley, 28.8 miles northwest of Katy, 21 miles north of Brookshire, 27.4 miles northeast of Bellville, and 31.6 miles northeast of San Felipe, Texas. 
 
Melanee Smith Memorial Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, large print books, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Tue-Fri, 9am-12pm and 1pm-5pm; Sat, 9am-noon. (936) 372-3961. 2103 Main Street.