Contact
 
 
County
Burleson
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 1,376
2000 Census - 1,704
Nearby
Towns
Somerville, Texas
null
Somerville Texas History:
Somerville was first settled by Anglo Americans in the 1830s. In 1880, the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway constructed its Galveston-Caldwell spur through the area. A townsite was platted on the rail line a mile north of Yegua Creek. It was named for Albert Somerville, the first president of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Company. In 1883, William N. Landolt purchased the first lot and opened a commissary store. Also in 1883, a second rail spur from East Texas via Navasota was extended to the site; a train depot, a railroad yard with repair shops, and a roundhouse were established. The Somerville post office opened in 1894; it closed after 16 months, but reopened in 1897. In the mid-1890s a group of Chicago investors established the Texas Tie and Lumber Preserving Company. J.R. Lyon established the town’s first general store in 1893. Captain R. A. Brantley opened the community’s second general store in 1898. By the early 1900s, the town had a lumber yard, electricity, a cotton gin, an icehouse, a pharmacy, bottling works, tin shop, candy store, a bank, and a depot restaurant known as the Harvey House. The Somerville ISD was established in 1903. The town incorporated in 1913. In 1962, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers began construction of the Somerville Dam and Reservoir on Yegua Creek at the southwestern edge of town. The project was completed in 1966. Today the town of Somerville is a major recreation area. Somerville is located at the intersection SH 36 (Avenue B) and FM 1381 (8th Street) on the northeastern shore of Lake Somerville, 43 miles southeast of Rockdale, 17.4 miles southeast of Caldwell, 3.5 miles southeast of Lyons, 30 miles southwest of Bryan, 26 miles southwest of College Station, 13.8 miles southwest of Snook, 34 miles west of Washington-on-the Brazos, 15.6 miles northwest of Brenham, 45 miles northeast of Fayetteville and Fayette Lake, 40 miles northeast of Giddings, 29 miles northeast of Round Top, and 17 miles northeast of Burton, Texas.    
 
Historic City of Somerville, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Located where two branches of the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railway joined, town was named for Albert Somerville, first president of the railroad. First settlers arrived after town was surveyed about 1883; the post office was permanently established in 1897. Somerville boomed in the 1890s when local citizens persuaded a railroad tie plant to locate here. Santa Fe Railroad bought the operation in 1905; this is still an important industry. Incorporated in 1913, the town has become a recreation center since Lake Somerville was created in the 1960s.”
 
Somerville Area Historical Museum:
The museum features exhibits (arrowheads, 1800s farm tools), photos, and artifacts depicting the history of the area, including a history of the town’s railroad, train depot, and the historic Harvey House Restaurant. The museum is located in a historic downtown building. The Heritage Room is available for meetings. Heritage Square, a park like area on the north side of the museum, has a covered stage for community events and lighted Victorian style street lamps. The Somerville Historical Society meets at the museum on the second Monday of each month at 11:30am for a covered dish luncheon. Open Sat, 10am-12pm; 1pm-3pm. Admission is free; donations gratefully accepted. (979) 596-1634. The museum is located at Avenue B at the corner of SH 36 and FM 1361.  
 
Arts on the Lake & Nov Art Sale:
This arts group promotes the arts in Somerville. The sponsor art Somerville art shows, promote area artists, take art trips, and hold monthly meetings. They host an annual November Art Sale.   
 
Somerville Community Library Association:
This group meets at the Somerville Historical Museum’s meeting room on the first Tuesday of each month at 7pm. (979) 596-2525. Email