Gulf Coast
San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site
San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site & Monument Information:
The April 21, 1846 San Jacinto Battle between the forces of General Sam Houston and Mexican General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna was a decisive victory for Texas, and ended the Texas War for Independence from Mexico. The importance of this battle to both the United States, and to Texas cannot be overstated, thus the Battlefield is a National Historic Landmark. The 570 foot tall San Jacinto Monument is 15 feet taller than the Washington Monument, and is the tallest stone column memorial in the world. The monument was a Public Works Administration project (part of FDR's New Deal Program); the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps)completed it in 1939. The shell stone used in the project was quarried from Burnet County in Central Texas. The walls are 4 feet thick at the base, and 2 feet thick at the top. The 1,800 foot long (200 feet wide) reflection pool, completed in the 1930s, covers 8.4 surface acres. An Observation floor is located in the monument, 489 feet above the battleground. It provides a view of the battleground, the marsh restoration and boardwalk, and the Battleship Texas. On a clear day one can see for miles. The observation floor may be accessed via an elevator. The battlegrounds habitat consists of native coastal tall prairie grass dominated by little bluestem, big bluestem, Indian grass and switch grass, bottomland forests and tidal marsh. The San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site & Monument consists of 1,200 acres and is located adjacent to Battleship Texas. For more information watch thePark Video.   San Jacinto Monument & Battleship Texas SHS Facilities Map
San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site De Zavala Cemetery: 
This cemetery was relocated to the San Jacinto Battlegrounds State Historic Site at Market Street & De Zavala Road. There appear to be two cemeteries. The De Zavalas were reinterred in a small, enclosed area while a larger grouping to the north consists primarily of victims of the Battle of San Jacinto. Those buried in the De Zavala Cemetery include Vice President Lorenzo De Zavala and family members. The Adams-Campbell Family Cemetery is also located on the park grounds on Park Road 1836; burials dates are prior to the Civil War.
Historic De Zavala Plaza, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The name honors Lorenzo de Zavala, vice president of the Republic of Texas (ad interim, March 17 - Oct. 17, 1836). Born in Yucatan and educated in the seminary of Ildefonso, de Zavala was an ardent liberal who was jailed 1814-1817 for political activities. In prison he learned English and became a medical doctor. In 1821 he was a member of the Cortes in Madrid, Spain, and later was governor of a province of Mexico. After Mexico won independence from Spain, he kept working for democratic reforms. Loyal to the 1824 Constitution of Mexico, he opposed Dictator Santa Anna, and moved to Texas to seek freedom. On March 2, 1836, he signed Texas' Declaration of Independence. Later he signed the Republic of Texas Constitution. Married twice, he had six children. The family honored his memory by keeping alive his ideals after his early death. The Legislature of Texas in 1858 named Zavala County in his honor. Lorenzo de Zavala, many of his descendants, and some of their neighbors and friends were interred in the de Zavala family cemetery, on the plantation across Buffalo Bayou from this site. This plaza is dedicated to the memory of Vice President de Zavala, his family, and others buried in de Zavala Cemetery.” The marker is located adjacent to Battleship Texas.
Lynchburg to Baytown Ferry Service:
Nathaniel Lynch established the ferry service around 1830. Harris County has operated this free ferry service since 1888. The ferry operates on the San Jacinto River ferrying vehicles between Lynchburg and the San Jacinto State Historic Site & Battleship Texas SHS in La Porte. The 12 vehicle capacity William P. Hobby and Ross S. Sterling ferryboats were built by the Todd Shipyard in 1964. The ferry operates Mon-Fri, 4:30am-8pm; Sat-Sun, 11am-6:30pm; closed major holidays including New Year’s Day, Easter, Memorial and Labor Days, July 4th, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. Two ferries operate Mon-Fri, 3:30pm-6:30pm. The trip takes 7 to 10 minutes. Lynchburg is located south of IH-10 on an inlet extending into Burnet Bay across the water from the San Jacinto Monument. The Baytown Ferry is located at 1001 S. Lynchburg Road. The San Jacinto Ferry is located on SH 134 (Battleground Road), La Porte. (281) 424-3521. Lynchburg Map; Click to Enlarge  Lynchburg Area Map    
San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site Facilities & Amenities Overview:
The 1,210 foot long trail and boardwalk is ADA compliant. The 700 foot prairie portion of the trail is surfaced with asphalt and has a rest stop located trailside. The boardwalk extends to the edge of the marsh. The trailhead is located in the parking lot on the north side of the monument. Granite markers throughout the park designate locations of Texas camps, Mexican camps, the site of the advance by Texian forces, and other strategic parts of the San Jacinto battle. Most markers may be viewed from your vehicle. The monument observation floor is reached via an elevator. The "Texas Forever!!" film depicts the historic events of the Texas Revolution and the Battle of San Jacinto. The film is shown in the monument’s 160 seat Jesse H. Jones Theater for Texas Studies. It is shown on the hour, every hour from 10am-5pm. A gift shop and restrooms are located on the lower level of the monument. The snack shop is open Daily, 10am-6pm. Picnic tables, BBQ grills and water spigots are located throughout the park grounds. Restrooms are also located on the grounds. Wi-Fi is available. The reservable enclosed picnic pavilion overlooks the Buffalo Bayou. Future plans include relocating existing picnic facilities and recreation activities away from the Battleground to a recreation zone at another location within the park. The park hosts educational programs and several annual events including the April San Jacinto Day Festival and Battle Reenactment, and the annual May Monumental Bug Bash. The park headquarters is located onsite in a 1930s house, and is open Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm. Park Facilities Map  Tour Guide  Marsh Interpretive Guide 
San Jacinto Museum of History:
The museum features priceless artifacts and dioramas, a rare collection of 250,000 documents, and 40,000 books chronicling more than 400 years of Texas history, and other permanent exhibits. The museum hosts special exhibits. It is operated by the San Jacinto Museum of History Association, and is open daily, 9am-6pm. Admission is free. (281) 479-2421. One Monument Circle, La Porte, 77571.
San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site Directions:  
From Houston: Take Highway 610 South Loop East; exit onto SH 225 East (Pasadena Freeway). Exit at SH 134 (Independence Parkway/Battleground Road); turn left, and drive approximately 3.5 miles to the San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site.
Note:SH 134 connects SH 225 with the San Jacinto Battlefield and Monument, and the Lynchburg Ferry to the north.