Pittsburg Texas History:
During the early 1800s the area was occupied by Caddo and Cherokee Indians, though most had left the area prior to the arrival of settlers in the 1830s. The community of Pittsburgh developed in the 1850s. It was named after early settler William Harrison Pitts and his family. The Pittsburgh post office was established in 1855. In 1893, the town name was respelled Pittsburg. Because of the poor roads between Pittsburg and Gilmer, the nearest marketing center, Pittsburg had developed into a shipping and supply center for area farmer by 1860. It remained primarily a farming center until the 1940s. At that time the town had physicians, lawyers, a watchmaker, a brick mason, general stores, two blacksmiths, carpenters, wagon makers, brick makers, lumbering interests, a school and a church. In 1874, Pittsburg was elected the county seat of the newly formed Camp County. In the late 1870s, the East Line and Red River Railroad was built a line across the county from east to west, and the Texas and St. Louis Railway built a line across the county from north to south, causing an influx of new residents. The 1884 Pittsburg Gazette is still in operation. Pittsburg incorporated in 1891 when its population was over 1,200. During the early 1890s, a foundry, a tannery, an ice factory, and a bottling works were established. A private electric company was established in 1897. The Carnegie Library was constructed in 1899; it burned in 1939. One of the earliest manufacturing enterprises was the early flying machine built in 1901 by Burrell B. Cannon who owned the Ezekiel Airship Manufacturing Company. Pittsburg is the home of poultry producer Pilgrim’s Pride. It is also one of the top producers of peaches in the state. Pittsburg is located at the intersection of U.S. 271 (Greer Boulevard) and SH 11 (Daingerfield and Quitman Streets) and several farm roads, 55 miles northeast of Tyler, 36.5 miles northeast of Mineola, 37 miles northeast of Quitman and Lake Fork, 21 miles northeast of Winnsboro, 44.5 miles southeast of Sulphur Springs, 62 miles southeast of Paris, 54 miles southeast of Clarksville, 26.4 miles southeast of Mount Vernon, 11.7 miles southeast of Mount Pleasant, 51 miles southwest of Atlanta and Wright Patman Lake, 15 miles southwest of Daingerfield and Daingerfield State Park, 37 miles west of Linden, 21 miles northwest of Lone Star, 29 miles northwest of Lake O’ the Pines, 45 miles northwest of Longview, 19 miles north of Gilmer, Texas.
Camp County Courthouse, 1928:
The courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance style by architects Smith and Praeger. The 2010 Camp County Census was 12,401. (903) 856-3845. 126 Church Street, Pittsburg, TX 75686. Email
“The most remarkable manufacturing enterprise in Pittsburg involved an early flying machine. Around 1901, local mechanic and part time minister Burrell B. Canno built an aircraft, basing his design on a description in the book of Ezekiel. Twenty thousand dollars' worth of stock was offered in the Ezekiel Airship Manufacturing Company. Cannon had a solid reputation as a mechanic, which inspired the townspeople's confidence in his project. There is debate as to whether the craft ever actually got off the ground; some residents later recalled having seen it lift off for a few feet. Eventually Cannon put the aircraft on a railroad flatcar to ship it to St. Louis, possibly in hopes of interesting investors. The machine was destroyed by a storm, however, while it sat on the tracks in Texarkana. Cannon reportedly built a second model of the aircraft in Chicago in 1913, but the machine crashed into a telephone pole after a brief flight. Cannon returned to Texas and died in Longview in 1922.”
Witness Park and Prayer Tower & Chapel:
The park and prayer tower were built by Bo Pilgrim of Pilgrim’s Pride Corporation as a gift to the City of Pittsburg. The 75 foot tower features four Paccard bells from France. The chapel, located in the base of the tower, never closes. Located on the grounds are a fountain and a bronze statue of Jesus washing Peter’s feet. The tower is located at the intersection of Jefferson and Lafayette Streets.
Northeast Texas Rural Heritage Museum Complex:
The 1901 Cotton Belt train depot features exhibits of Indian artifacts, the Famous Northeast Texas People, and the depot’s early (still working) telegraph station. The former freight warehouse features agricultural exhibits on farming, ranching, timber, and poultry production, including antique autos, tractors, boat motors, farm implements and other items. The Annex displays an 1890’s steam engine, a 1925 restored American LaFrance fire truck, a replica of the Ezekiel Airship, and exhibits on women, commerce, industry and communications. The small admission fee covers admission to the depot and farmstead. Open Thu-Sat, 10am-4pm. Group tours are available by appointment. (903) 856-0463. (903) 856-1200. 204 W. Marshall.
Northeast Texas Rural Heritage Museum Complex Farmstead:
The Farmstead is a turn of the century farmstead with a 100 year old house, barn and smoke house from Charlie Hoffman’s Camp County farm. The restored house is furnished with period pieces including several pieces from the Hoffmans. Descendants in period costumes conduct visitors through the house. Cotton, corn and other crops are raised in the demonstration gardens. Other exhibits and demonstrations show how our rural ancestors lived, worked, and raised their children. A gift shop is located onsite. The small admission fee covers admission to the depot and farmstead. Open Thu-Sat, 10am-4pm. Group tours are available by appointment. (903) 856-6614. (903) 856-1200. 206 Mount Pleasant Street.
Northeast Texas Community College, Culinary Arts Campus:
(903) 856-7000. 114 Jefferson Street, Pittsburg, TX.
Northeast Texas Community College, Hanson-Sewell Campus:
(903) 855-1441. 237 College Street, Pittsburg, TX 75686.
Pittsburg/Camp County Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, audio books, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu, 9am-5:30pm; Fri, 9am-5pm; Sat, 9am-12:45pm. Computer usage ends 30 minutes prior to the library closing time. (903) 856-3302. 613 Quitman Street.
Pittsburg Senior Center:
Everyone is invited to attend activities at the center. (903) 856-3621. 525 Elm Street.
Crossroads Music Company, Winnsboro:
This live music venue features regional and national touring artists most weekends. In 2012, they were holding performances at the Winnsboro Center for the Arts at 200 Market Street in Winnsboro, but were in the process of building a new home at 204 Market Street. The Winnsboro Center is a small venue that seats up to 100 with the tables removed. The Winnsboro Center hosts a concession, and visitors may bring wine. Coolers must be left in vehicles as there is no room. It is a good idea to pre-order tickets by calling (903) 342-1854 or (888) 342-1854. Winnsboro is located at the intersection of SH 11 and SH 37. Contacts Winnsboro Texas Map; Click to Enlarge Winnsboro Texas Area Map