Contact
 
 
County
Anderson
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 1,229
2000 Census - 1,209
Nearby
Towns
Frankston, Texas
null
Frankston Texas History:
In 1838, Frankston was the site of a battle between the Kickapoo Indians and the forces of General Thomas J. Rusk. In 1902, the Texas and New Orleans Railroad built a line through the area and platted the town of Ayers around the Frankport Railroad Depot. The majority of the businesses and residents from the nearby town of Kickapoo moved to Frankston to be closer to the railroad. Kickapoo was located on an old Kickapoo Indian battleground site, 2 miles southwest of Frankston. When the post office was established, it was named Ayers. In 1902, the town and post office were renamed Frankston after Miss Frankie Miller, who donated land for the town square which was developed into a city park by 1908. A gazebo was built on the square in 1920. During its early days, the town’s economy was based on the lumber industry. By the mid-1920s, cotton was the main industry. Peaches and tomatoes were important crops well into the 1950s. Frankston incorporated in 1980. Today, tourism from Lake Palestine, the Frankston oil field, ranching, and a large number of local businesses contribute to the town’s economic base. Frankston is located four miles west of the Neches River and the south shore of Lake Palestine at the intersections of U.S. 175, FM 155 and SH 155, 102 miles southeast of Dallas, 68 miles southeast of Kaufman, 34.4 miles southeast of Malakoff and the Cedar Creek Reservoir, 23.4 miles southeast of Athens, 25 miles southwest of Tyler, 25.6 miles southwest of Whitehouse and Lake Tyler, approximately 30 miles northwest of the Striker Reservoir, 41 miles northwest of Alto, 30 miles northwest of Rusk, 16 miles northwest of Jacksonville and Lake Jacksonville, 44.8 miles north of Grapeland, the Davy Crockett National Forest and Mission Tejas State Park, 58 miles northeast of Fairfield and Fairfield Lake State Park, approximately 45 miles northeast of the Richard Chambers Reservoir, 22 miles northeast of Palestine, and 62 miles east of Corsicana, Texas.  
 
Frankston Town Square & City Park:
The land for the town square was donated by Miss Frankie Miller for whom the town is named. By 1908, the square had been developed into a park, and many of the town’s businesses were located around the square. The gazebo was built around 1920. The town square is located at South Elm Street (SH 155) and Main Street.
 
Kathleen Cook Fitzgerald Museum:
The museum features artifacts and exhibits depicting the history of Frankston and the area. The museum is located in the historic Anderson County sub-courthouse building adjacent to the library. (903) 876-5310.
 
Frankston Depot Library & Museum:
The library is located in the historic 1906 Frankston Depot, south of the town square. It provides traditional library programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. The library serves residents of Frankston, Anderson County free of charge. Henderson County residents pay a small annual fee. Open Tue & Sat, 9am-5pm; Thu, 10am-7pm. (903) 876-4463. 159 West Railroad Avenue P.
 
Pandora's Box:
The store features a collection of antiques, furnishings, primitives, stained glass, ironwork, imports, architectural salvage, perennials, garden statuary, arbors, gazebos, and outdoor furniture and the “coolest junque". (903) 876-5056. 302 North SH 155.
 
Annual Frankston Homecoming and Square Fair, Late Sept or Early Oct:
This two day celebration begins with the homecoming football game, the crowning of the homecoming sweetheart, recognition of former students at the game, and a reception following the game. Saturday activities include a parade followed by the Square Fair with live music, arts and crafts, games, and food booths in downtown City Park and town square at South Elm Street (SH 155) and Main Street. (903) 876-5310.
 
Annual Lord’s Acre Festival, Oct:
Activities include a county store, an auction, and great food. Proceeds benefit church projects. This event is hosted by the United Methodist Church. (903) 876-2054. 110 S. Weldon Street.
 
Annual Christmas in the Park, Dec:
Activities include bands playing Christmas music, choirs, refreshments, the lighting of the community Christmas tree, and a visit by Santa. This event is held in downtown City Park and town square at South Elm Street (SH 155) and Main Street. (903) 876-5310.
 
Brenda’s Country Kettle Restaurant:
(903) 876-2443. The restaurant is located on SH 55 North. Reviews
 
7B Ranch Restaurant:
(903) 876-0241. 300 East Pine Street. Reviews