Praries & Lakes
2010 Census - 17,123
2000 Census - 14,921
Stephenville, Texas
Stephenville Texas History:
John M. Stephen moved to the Stephenville area in 1854. When Stephenville was designated the county seat of the newly formed Erath County in 1856, Stephen donated land for the new townsite, and donated 50 acres of timber for the development of the townsite. Stephenville was platted by George B. Erath for whom the county is named. The Stephenville post office was established in 1857 with Stephen as postmaster. In 1858, the town had 766 residents. Comanche raids and the Civil War reduced the population to 300 by 1871. After the war, the town became a commercial center for area ranchers and farmers and grew steadily. By 1887, the area had become a coal mining center and continued as such for the next 30 years. Stephenville incorporated in 1889, the same year the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railroad built a line to the town. In 1899, John Tarleton Agricultural College was founded. It later became Tarleton State University. Though Stephenville and Erath County benefited from the 1918-1920 oil boom, the greater oil fields were located outside the county. The town’s growth was slow from the 1920s to 1940. In 1953, an industrial foundation was formed. Within ten years it was successfully attracting a variety of industries. Dairy farming is important to the town’s economy. Stephenville is listed in Norman Crampton's "The 100 Best Small Towns in America." That is not hard to understand when you consider that for such a small town, Stephenville is incredibly busy as an educational, cultural and industrial community. Most of the stone buildings on the town square date from the 1890s. The town is billed as the “Cowboy Capital of the World.” Stephenville is located on the North Bosque River at the intersections of U.S. 67/U.S. 377 (South Loop 195 and W. Washington Street), U.S. 281 (Morgan Mill Road) and SH 108, 36 miles east of Gorman, 52 miles southeast of Eastland, 42.5 miles southeast of Ranger, 29 miles southeast of Mingus, 26 miles southeast of Gordon and Lake Palo Pinto, 42.6 miles south of Mineral Wells, 50 miles southwest of Weatherford, 30 miles southwest of Granbury, 30 miles west of Glen Rose, 43 miles northwest of Meridian, 40 miles northwest of Hamilton, 19.5 miles northwest of Hico, 35 miles northeast of Comanche, 26 miles northeast of De Leon, 23 miles northeast of Proctor, and 14 miles northeast of Dublin, Texas. 
Erath County Courthouse, 1892:
The courthouse was designed by famed courthouse architect J. Riely Gordon. It is built of red Pecos sandstone and locally quarried white limestone. The courthouse was extensively restored in 2002. The 2010 Erath County census was 37.890. (254) 965-1452. 100 West Washington Street, Stephenville, TX 76401. Email