Contact
 
 
Counties
Panola, Rusk
Region
Pineywoods
Population
2010 Census - 1,385
2000 Census - 1,175
Nearby
Towns
Tatum, Texas
null
Tatum Texas History:
The area was settled in the 1840s by Albert and Mary C. Tatum. In 1848, the Tatums purchased a huge area plantation. In 1895, the Santa Fe Railroad built a line through the area. Paul (Uncle Fox) Tatum platted a townsite which was named for Albert and Mary. Paul named a number of the town streets after famous Confederate generals. The Tatum post office was established in 1886, and the Miller School was established six miles northwest of Tatum within the year. In 1904, a tornado destroyed part of the town, and in 1905 a fire destroyed most of the north side. The town grew from 154 residents in 1904 to 428 in 1925. A Texas Historical Marker commemorates Trammel’s Trace, an early trade route that forms part of the boundary between Rusk and Panola Counties. Today the town’s economy is based on farming, lumbering, and dairy farms, and tourism from nearby Martin Creek Lake State Park. Tatum is located a short distance west of the Sabine River at the intersection of SH 149 (Hill Street) and SH 43 (Johnson Street), 52 miles east of Tyler, 31 miles southeast of Gladewater, 27 miles southeast of Kilgore, 21.6 miles southeast of Longview, 36 miles southwest of Karnack and Caddo Lake, 19.7 miles southwest of Marshall, 16.3 miles northwest of Carthage, 33.5 miles northeast of Overton, 30 miles northeast of New London, 26 miles northeast of Joinerville, and 21 miles northeast of Henderson, Texas.
 
Harmony Hill, Texas History:
The town was platted in the 1840s on land donated by John W. Kuykendall, a prosperous plantation owner. The community was originally named Nip ‘n’ Tuck after two foxhounds that chased a fox down the main street. The Harmony Hill post office operated from 1854 to 1867. It reopened in 1868, but closed for good in 1905 when mail was routed through Tatum. The town was bypassed by the railroads and declined. In 1906, a tornado destroyed many of the town’s buildings. All that remains today is the Harmony Cemetery which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.Harmony Hill is located on CR 2183, three miles southwest of Tatum, Texas.   
 
Starr Family Home State Historic Site Information:
The Starr family’s Texas history spans over 170 years. Four generations of Starrs lived in Maplecroft, an 1880 Victorian Italianate style house. Over time the house was renovated, modified, and enlarged to suit the occupant. Speaking tubes were installed, connecting the kitchen to the other rooms, and a cistern was built. A lightening rod was added, gas lighting was installed, and a windmill and water tower were built to provide running water by gravity fed water pressure. In the early 1890's, the Starr-Blake Home was built on the back of the property for Ruth Starr Blake when she married. Homes owned by the other Starr daughters still exist in the neighborhood. Various outbuildings were added including a schoolhouse for Starr's daughters. The facilities available for touring include the schoolhouse (converted to a laundry in the 1930s), the Starr-Blake home, the Maplecroft house, and the 1830s Rosemont wing. The homes are furnished with Starr family furnishings and artifacts. The Maplecroft library displays Dr. Starr’s collection of Republic of Texas currency. Additional site amenities include a Texas history bookstore and gift shop, art exhibits, and traveling exhibits. Maplecroft is ADA compliant, with the exception of the 2nd floor.The grounds and the Blake house are available year round for weddings, receptions, parties, group meetings and other events. From November to January, the homes are decorated to reflect a Victorian Christmas. Millions of lights decorate the site for the Winterland of Lights Festival, and candlelight tours and dinners are given. Almost 500,000 people visit the Star Historic Site during the holiday season.Guided tours of Maplecroft take approximately 1 hour; fees apply. Group tours are available by appointment. This SHS hosts special events. Open Tue-Sat, 10am-4pm; Sun, 12pm-4pm. (903) 935-3044. 407 West Travis Street, Marshall, Texas 75670. For more information read the park brochure and the April 2007 Park of the Month article, and go to the Starr Family Home SHS Home Page.
 
Tatum Santa Fe Depot Museum:
The museum features exhibits depicting the history of the Tatum area. (903) 947-6403. The museum is located in Tatum City Park on Hood Street, a block east of SH 43. Call the library or the Tatum Economic Development Corporation for more information. (903) 947-6403. Library: (903) 947-2211.
 
Tatum Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. The library is open Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm; closed Saturdays and Sundays. (903) 947-2211. 335 Hood Street. Email  
 
Tatum Heritage House:
On Thursdays, Heritage House provides games and other activities for seniors; a good home cooked lunch is served 11am. The building is available for event rentals. (903) 947-2546. Heritage House is located at 1065 North Crystal Farms Road. 
 
Bodacious Bar B Q:
This popular BBQ restaurant serves very good barbeque. It is located on SH 149 west, adjacent to the primary school. (903) 947-6400. Reviews