Contact
 
 
County
Galveston
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 45,099
2000 Census - 41,521
Nearby
Towns
Texas City, Texas
null
Texas City Texas History:
In 1891 while duck hunting in Shoal Point on Galveston Bay, Minnesota brothers Jacob, Benjamin, and Henry Myers saw the potential in developing Galveston Island into a major port. They and other Minnesota investors purchased 10, 000 acres of Galveston Bay frontage and the town of Shoal Point, and renamed the area Texas City. Their company, the Texas City Improvement Company, filed the first townsite plat in May, 1893. A post office was established the same year. In 1893 they received government permission to dredge an eight foot Gulf of Mexico channel to Texas City; by 1894 the channel was in use. The channel depth was later increased to 40 feet, and the length to 1.5 miles. The company obtained rail connections to the city. A single-track trestle pier was built extending into the waters of Galveston Bay allowing shippers to send freight by train to Houston. The Texas City Improvement Company went into receivership in 1897. It was then reorganized into two new companies, the Texas City Railway Terminal Company, organized to operate the railroad, and the Texas City Company, which purchased the town lots and provided water, gas, and lights to the town. By 1905 the federal government had dredged a 25 foot channel, and had opened a customs house. In 1904, twelve ships used the channel; 239 ships used the channel in 2010. By 1911, Texas City had 1,169 residents. The oil industry has made a significant contribution to the success of Texas City and its Port. In 1961 Hurricane Carla covered most of the city with 4 feet of floodwater. In the aftermath of the storm, seawall plans were fast tracked, and construction began in 1962 on a twenty-three-foot barrier. The last section of the seawall was completed in 1985. Because subsidence was another cause of flooding, Texas City ceased groundwater pumping and began using water from the Brazos River to supply its industries. In 1982 to further protect the city from rising rainwater, the city built an inner levee eight feet high on Moses Lake and installed Archimedes screw pumps. The city developed Moses Lake and Texas City Dike, which extends into Galveston Bay, into recreation areas. In 1954 it built the Nessler Civic Center, a fifty-five-acre tract, which has the city's largest park, the library, the city hall, the stadium, and the Lowry Physical Fitness Center. Texas City is located east of IH-45 on Sh 146 and Loop 197, 4.7 miles slightly northeast of La Marque, 14 miles northwest of Galveston, 24.5 miles south of La Porte, 24.7 miles southeast of Alvin, 45 miles northeast of Angleton, and 46 miles southeast of Houston, Texas.
 
Village of Tiki Island:
The small incorporated Village of Tiki Island is located off the north end of the Galveston Causeway (IH-45) in Jones Bay. It is located 5 miles southeast of La Marque, approximately 6 miles south of Texas City, and 5 miles southwest of Galveston, Texas. This largely resort community has approximately 850 homes, and 1,200 full time residents. It is served by the Galveston Post Office. City Hall: (409) 935-1427. 
 
Port of Texas City, 1893:
This privately owned port is the eighth largest port in the nation, and the 3rd largest port in Texas. More than 78 million tons of cargo moves through the port each year; the Port of Houston handles more than 225 million tons of cargo each year. The Texas City Port is served by the Union Pacific and Burlington Northern, Santa Fe Railroads. (409) 945-4461. (800) 893-4412. The port is located at 2425 SH 146 North, Texas City, TX 77590. Email 
 
S.S. Grandcamp Explosion Memorial, April, 1947:
On April 16, 1947, the French Ship Grandecamp, loaded with ammonium nitrate fertilizer blew up, causing a chain reaction of fires in other industries along the harbor, and the explosion of the SS High Flyer, a U.S. ship. The entire dock was destroyed along with the Monsanto Chemical Company, and other smaller companies. Smaller explosions and fires were ignited by flying debris along the industrial area and throughout the city. The large explosion caused a 15 foot tidal wave which swept the dock area. At least 1,000 residences and buildings throughout town were destroyed or damaged, 576 people were killed, and over 4,000 were injured. In Anchor Park a commemorative plaque and the anchor of the freighter S.S. Grandcamp are located at the flagpole. The park is located at Bay Street and Dike Road.
 
Heritage Square Park:
This historic park consists of four buildings. The Davison Home was the home of Christina Davison, the first child born in Texas City; Mr. Davison was the first postmaster. The house is located on its original site. It is open the first Sunday of each month from 2pm-4pm. The Dick-Wetzel House was owned by Mable Parr Dick, granddaughter of James Campbell. Mable moved in 1909 after the Campbell’s Bayou settlement was wiped out by the 1900 storm. The house was originally located at 1326 North 6th Avenue. The 1902 Engineer’s house was occupied by an engineer; it was originally located at 206 N. 2nd Avenue. The 1895 William Moore house was designed in Victorian style with gingerbread trim; it was formerly located at 5th Street and N. 2nd Avenue. The Davison Home and a gazebo are available for event rentals. The Texas City Heritage Association owns and manages the homes, and also offers 5.5 hour tours of Bay City by reservation. The Davison Home is open for viewing on the first Saturday of each month from 2pm-4pm. (409) 229-1660. Heritage Square is located at 109 N. 3rd Avenue.
 
Texas City Museum:  
The museum features exhibits depicting the history of the Mainland area of Galveston County from the early 1900s to the present. The Children’s Discovery Place is an interactive learning area featuring exhibits such as Dinosaur Dig, Whisper Dish, Mexican Mercado, Rubbing Wall, Hoopie’s Travels, Interactive Zeotropes, and more. Rental facilities include a 50 person capacity meeting room and the building itself which can accommodate up to 300 standing guests, and 100 seated guests. The museum offers Texas City Tours, and is home to the Galveston County Model Railroad Club. Open Tue-Sat, 10am-4pm. Admission fees apply. (409) 229-1660. 409 North 6th Street, Texas City.
 
Art, Texas City Public Art & Fountains:
Texas City has 7 fountains and many statues, including approximately 14 beautiful bronze statues featuring children at play.
 
Arts, Texas City Cultural Arts Foundation:
The Center sponsors the annual Texas City Art Festival in April. Activities include entertainment and art workshops and demonstrations. (409) 643-5990. The juried art show is held at the Doyle Convention Center. 2010 N. 5th Avenue. Flyer
 
College of the Mainland:
The college serves the towns of Dickinson, Friendswood, Hitchcock, La Marque, Santa Fe, and Texas City school districts. (409) 938-1211. (888) 258-8859. 1200 Amburn Road, Texas City, TX 77591 
 
Moore Memorial Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Tue & Wed, 9am-9pm; Thu-Fri, 9am-6pm; Sat, 10am-4pm; closed Sunday. (409) 643-5979. The library is located at the Nessler Center at 1701 9th avenue North.
 
Nessler Civic Center & Complex & Senior Program:
The Nessler Civic Center is the site of the Texas City Senior Center. The Center offers activities, special events, senior assistance, and free transportations for seniors for seniors living within the city limits of La Marque and Texas City through Texas City Connect. (409) 945-0820. Senior Activities: (409) 643-5877. Reservations: (409) 643-5990. 2010 N. 5th Avenue. It is located adjacent to the Doyle Convention Center.