Contact
 
 
County
Cottle
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 1,186
2000 Census - 1,498
Nearby
Towns
Paducah, Texas
null
Paducah Texas History:
In the mid-1880s, early settler R. Potts moved to the area from Paducah, Kentucky. He gave later arriving settlers free land in return for voting to name the new settlement Paducah and to make it the county seat. The Paducah post office was established in 1891. By the early 1900s, the town had a bank, a lumberyard, a telephone company, an Odd Fellows lodge, a school, and Methodist and Baptist churches. The Quanah, Acme and Pacific Railroad built a line to Paducah in 1909. Paducah incorporated in 1910. The town reached its peak population of 2,952 in 1950. The local economy is largely based on the agricultural and ranching industries. Brick streets line much of the residential area. Paducah has several parks, a playground, a rodeo arena and a golf course. Paducah is called the “Crossroads of America” because U.S. 70 runs east-west, U.S. 83 (9th Street) runs north-south between the borders of the U.S., and the two highways intersect in Paducah. Paducah is located on a branch of Salt Creek at the intersection of U.S. 70/62 and U.S. 83/62 (9th Street), 20 miles southeast of the Pease River, 31 miles east of Matador, 59.6 miles southeast of Turkey, 32 miles south of Childress, approximately 50 miles southwest of Quanah, 36 miles west of Crowell, 60 miles northwest of Benjamin, 28 miles north of Guthrie, and 59 miles northeast of Dickens, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Cottle County Courthouse, 1930:
The brick and terra cotta courthouse was designed in modern style by architects Voelcker and Dixon. The courthouse features classical and art deco elements. The 2010 Cottle County census was 1,505. The courthouse and courthouse square are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Courthouse is located on 8th Street. (806) 492-3613. Email 
 
Cottle County Heritage Museum:
The museum is located in a historic depot and features exhibits depicting the history of the town and county including farming, ranching and retail business exhibits, and antiques. A photo collection includes photos of the town and settlers from the early 1890s to present day. Open Mon-Tue, Thu-Fri, 9am-11am and 1pm-5pm. (806) 492-2143. The museum is located in the old Quanah, Acme & Pacific Railroad Depot at 122 North 9th Street (U.S. 83).
 
Bicentennial City-County Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. It is located in the basement of the Cottle County Courthouse on 8th Street. (806) 492-3613.

Dixie Maid Drive-In:
They serve very good hamburgers, hot dogs, corn dogs, fresh battered steak finger with homemade gravy, BBQ burgers and other comfort foods. You may place your order inside or at the outside order window. (806) 492-3460. 1618 Easly Street. Reviews
 
Cracker’s Steakhouse:
(806) 492-3171. 1112 Easly Street. Reviews