South Texas Plains
2010 Census - 33,856
2000 Census - 26,229
San Juan, Texas
San Juan Texas History:
San Juan is located on a portion of two Spanish land grants made in 1767 to Narcisco Bacazos and Jose Maria Balli. The grantees and their heirs occupied the land into the 1850s. John Closner established the town in 1909. The town incorporated in 1917. The first school building was built in 1918. The city built new waterworks in 1922. A cotton compress, cotton gin and a cannery were established in 1924. By 1925 the town had 1,203 residents. In 1945 San Juan had 47 businesses and a population of 2,264. Businesses include citrus and vegetable packing houses, and the largest concrete irrigation pipe manufacturing plant in the south. In 1949, Rev. Jose Maria Azpiazu became pastor of the parish of St. John the Baptist Church in San Juan. In 1954 the church built the “Basilica of Our Lady of San Juan Del Valle National Shrine which immediately began attracting pilgrims and tourists. The shrine was destroyed in 1970 when a private plane crashed into it. A new shrine was dedicated in 1980. It attracts more than 1 million visitors each year. San Juan is located a few miles north of the Rio Grande River, just east of U.S. 281 at the intersection of U.S. Business 83 (West 5th/Center Avenue) and Nebraska Avenue, 10.6miles south of Edinburg, 36 miles west of San Benito, 30 miles west of Harlingen, 23 miles west of La Feria, 16.8 miles west of Mercedes, 12 miles west of Weslaco, 6.6 miles west of Donna, 2 miles west of Alamo, 70 miles northwest of South Padre Island, 55 miles northwest of Brownsville, 26 miles northwest of Santa Maria, 18.5 miles northwest of Nuevo Progreso, Mexico and Progreso, Texas, 13.8 miles northeast of Hidalgo, 46 miles southeast of Rio Grande City, 36 miles southeast of La Grulla, 30 miles southeast of Los Ebanos, 13 miles slightly southeast of Mission, and 4.7 miles slightly southeast of McAllen, Texas.
Rio Grande Valley State Veterans Cemetery, Mission, TX:
The Rio Grande Valley State Veterans Cemetery is located on 75 acres purchased by the City of Mission from Bentsen Palm; Mission donated the land to the Texas Veterans Land Board. The Groundbreaking Ceremony for the second Texas State Veterans Cemetery was held September 27, 2005. The first internment was December 4, 2006. The cemetery is located just off U.S. Highway 83 on South Inspiration Road near its junction with Military Road. It is approximately 2.5 miles south of the exit, just past Seven Oaks Golf and Country Club. Open daily, 8am-5pm. (956) 583-7227. 2520 South Inspiration Road, 78572, Mission, Texas.