Contact
 
 
County
Colorado
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 2,151
2000 Census - 2,200
Nearby
Towns
Weimar, Texas
null
Weimar Texas History:
The town was established in 1853 after the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway proposed building a line through the site. The settlement was first called Jackson after an area land owner who donated land for the railroad right-of-way and the townsite. The town was later renamed Weimer. The post office was established in 1873; the town incorporated in 1875. By 1883, Weimer had over 1,000 residents, and was becoming a center of trade for pecans, poultry and dairy products. Today corn, pecans, beef, grain and poultry are important industries. The original railroad still serves the town today as part of the Southern Pacific Railroad. Bennie’s Café is a popular site for morning coffee and/or breakfast. Weimer is located southwest of the Colorado River, just north of IH-10, at the intersection of U.S. 90 (Main Street) and FM 155 (Center Street), 26 miles southeast of Ellinger, 18 miles southeast of La Grange, 32 miles southwest of Fayetteville, 15 miles west of Columbus, 33 miles northwest of Eagle Lake, 25 miles northwest of Hallettsville, and 7.6 miles east of Schulenburg, Texas.
 
Tin Man Water Tower Emergency Use History:
“Before wireless communication, cell phones, and email, the “Weimar Welcomes You” water tower played a very important role for emergency communication. Back when you had to pick up your phone and ask an operator to connect you to the person you wished to speak with, contacting the authorities could be a difficult task. The Sheriff was usually out 'keeping the peace' and there was no quick way to get in touch with him. So the community devised an emergency communication system. In the event of an emergency, you would contact the operator and let her know that you needed assistance. She would then flip the main switch that controlled a light, located on the bottom of the water tower, which was visible for miles around. The Sheriff would either see the light or be notified that there was an emergency, and would call the operator to find out what the problem was.”
 
Historic Town of Weimar, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“This land -once part of first Anglo-American colony in Texas- grew into a townsite in 1873 with coming of the Galveston, Harrisburg, & San Antonio Rail Line. D.W. Jackson donated half of land for town, which was named for Weimar, Germany. Post office was established in 1873, town incorporated 1875. By 1887 Weimar was enjoying a prosperous cotton economy, had many stores and 2 newspapers. Local opera house (150 yards S.) built about 1880, was one of the first between Houston and San Antonio.
Present economy is based on agriculture.”
 
Historic Weimar Railroad Depot, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Weimar was founded in 1873 when T. W. Peirce, president of the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railroad, built a depot here on property of D. W. Jackson (1829-1904). Peirce and Jackson shared the profits from sale of town lots. Before the coming of the railroad, transportation had posed a major problem for this area. Named for a German town that Peirce admired, Weimar quickly became a leading trade center. The first depot was replaced in 1925 by the present structure. In 1972 the Southern Pacific Railroad donated the building for use as the Weimar Public Library.” 
 
Historic John Pettit Borden, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Born in New York. Moved to Texas 1829. Settled in Stephen F. Austin's second colony in 1832. In Texas Revolution, fought at Battle of San Jacinto in 1836. Helped lay out town of Houston same year. At 24 became first Commissioner of Texas General Land Office. Later practiced law and served as county judge. He was a surveyor before moving, in 1866, to Harvey's Creek (4 mi. E). Married twice. Had 9 children by second wife Mary (Hatch).” 
 
Historic St. Michael's Catholic Church, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Established as a mission in 18883, by Father Edward Brucklin, who became first resident priest in 1892. An earlier frame structure was replaced by this stately sanctuary in 1913, under direction of Father Joseph Szmanski (1873-1948), who served the congregation of Elgin. Brick by Italian and Mexican craftsmen directed by contractors L.M. and J.C. Dielmann of San Antonio. The Gothic revival architectural style reflects the central European heritage of the Czechoslovakian and German settlers.”
 
Historic Holman-Seifert Homestead, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“John T. Holman (1818-1900), who came from Virginia to Texas in 1837, built this house about 1875. Married three times, he had 18 children and made fortunes in cattle and cotton. Heirs sold the house in 1901 to John Banse. Who sold (1907) To Anton Seifert. A local gin owner, Frank Banse, son of John, bought it in 1917, razed five rooms in the rear, and made additions altering the Greek Revival exterior. In 1953, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Seifert bought the house, restored the portion that remained form the original, and built an addition to the north.” 
 
Heritage Society Museum of Weimar:
The museum is housed in the Old Hill Bank building. The museum features exhibits depicting the town’s history, including surveying tools and the personal effects of Weimar’s founder, D.W. Jackson, vintage photos, Old Hill Bank ledgers and hand cancellations, a physician’s office with a full size skeleton on a stand beside an old fashioned examining table, an amputation kit and a wooden leg belonging to early era rancher Peg-Leg Strunk, an early kitchen with a Hoosier cabinet, a dentist office, a department store, a bank, a blacksmith forge, a facsimile of the old Mercury newspaper printing shop, a barber shop, and a beauty salon. A Military Roof features uniforms and G.I. memorabilia from numerous wars, including a water-cooled machine gun from W.W. I, Nazi banners from W.W.II, and a Civil War cannonball, that was recently unearthed east of town. The Military Room’s exterior wall displays the Veterans Honor Roll, a list of those serving in the armed forces. The pharmacy features an inlaid majolica tile soda fountain from the old Farmer's Drug Store. The Volunteer Firefighter’s exhibit houses a vintage Seagrave pumper truck and hose truck, an 1890 house cart, uniforms and photographs. The museum annex on Post Office Street houses the “Rural Americana” exhibit. Admission is free. Open Wed, 2pm-4pm; Sat, 10am-4pm. (979) 725-8203.125 East Main Street.
 
Weimar Public Library & Old Train Depot:
In 1972 the Southern Pacific Railroad donated their old train depot to the town for use as a library. The adjacent caboose is used as a library office. The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi.  Open Mon-Thu, 10am-5:00pm; Fri, noon-5pm; closed Saturday and Sunday. (979) 725-6608. One Jackson Square.
 
Sengelmann Dance Hall & Restaurant, 1890s:
The building has been beautifully restored and reopened in 2009. It features the original 115 year old, long leaf pine dance floor, a restaurant, saloon, biergarten, and a Czech bakery. The restaurant and biergarten offer live music and dancing Thursday through Saturday. Many well-known musicians have played here including Billy Joe Shaver, Cory Morrow, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Asleep at the Wheel, Billy Mata, Bobby Flores, and others. The hall hosts live music and Big Dance Shows. The restaurant is open Wed-Thu, 11am-2:30pm and 5pm-9pm; Fri, 11am-2:30pm and 5pm-9:30pm; Sat, 11am-9:30pm. The saloon is open Wed-Thu until 11pm; Fri until 11:30pm. Hours are seasonal. The dance hall is not necessarily open every weekend. If you are driving a long distance, call to verify hours before arriving. The restaurant, saloon and biergarten are available for private parties. (979) 743-2300. The dance hall is located at 531 North Main Street in Schulenburg. Facebook
 
Swiss Alp Dance Hall, Garten, & Grill, Early 1900, Swiss Alp, TX:
The dance hall hosts well known country music artists, such as regional and local musicians the Triumphs and Czechaholics, and Texas artists Asleep at the Wheel, Roger Creager, Kevin Fowler, and Wild River Band. The summer of 2014’s summer series played on Wednesday nights from 8:30pm to midnight. The hall also hosts weddings and other private parties. (979) 247-4536. The dance hall is located at 6940 U.S. 77, 9.6 miles south of La Grange, 7 miles north of Schulenburg and 13.6 miles northwest of Weimar, Texas. Email
 
Texas Independence Day Relay, March:
This 203.2 mile relay race begins in Gonzales where the Texas Revolution began, and ends at San Jacinto Monument where Texas Independence was won. The race is composed of 40 legs of various lengths. The route passes through Shiner, Moulton, Flatonia, Schulenburg, Weimar, Borden, Columbus, Altair, Eagle Lake, Wallis, Orchard, Simonton, Fulshear, and Houston. Detailed maps for each leg will be provided in the race manual. Email 
 
Annual Gedenke Festival the Saturday before Mother’s Day, May:
This festival celebrates the town’s heritage with DJ music, activities, children’s activities, a petting zoo, and food and drink vendors. This event is held on the corner of Center and Market Streets. (979) 725-9511. Email
 
Susie's Bakery:
They make great pigs in a blanket, and kolaches and other Czech baked goods. (979) 224-5563. 124 East Post Office Street. Email  Reviews
 
Leticias Mexican Restaurant:
(979) 725-8602. 107 East Post Office Street. Reviews