Contact
 
 
County
Fayette
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - Unknown
Nearby
Towns
Swiss Alp, Texas
null
Swiss Alp Texas History:
Swiss Alp was established by German Lutheran immigrants in 1865. Wend settlers from Serbin in Lee County moved the new settlement. The Philadelphia Lutheran Church was built in 1867. The Swiss Alp post office opened in 1877, and was discontinued in 1906. In 1884 the town had 34 residents; the population reached its high in 1896 when it had 100 residents. When the railroad constructed a line seven miles to the south in Schulenburg, residents in Swiss Alp moved to Schulenburg to be closer to the railroad, preventing Swiss Alp’s growth. Several historic painted churches are located in the surrounding communities. Swiss Amp is located on SH 77, just south of FM 1383, 9.6 miles south of La Grange, 7 miles north of Schulenburg, 17.6 miles northeast of Praha, 6 miles northeast of High Hill, 9 miles northwest of Dubina, and 4 miles west of Ammannsville, Texas.
 
United Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1869:  
The church was organized in 1867, and the first log church was built in 1869. The church is located on FM 3171 between Schulenburg and La Grange, and two miles west of U.S. 77. (979) 247-4151. Email
 
Historic Philadelphia Evangelical Lutheran Church, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Second oldest congregation in the Texas-Louisiana synod, United Lutheran Church in America. The founding occurred on March 24, 1867, under leadership of the Rev. C.C. Rudi, who had just moved to the Swiss Alp area. A ten-acre church site was donated by John and Christina Knippa by deed of march 29, 1869. Cedar was donated by J.F. Melcher and the Knippas, and original log church was built in 1869. In Feb. 1877 the cemetery was established and in Nov. 1877 an adjoining tract of 44.5 acres was added. the present church building was erected in 1889-90.”     
 
Historic Philadelphia Evangelical Lutheran Church Cemetery, Marker Text:
“The Swiss Alp community was settled about 1865. Within a short time, the Philadelphia Evangelical Lutheran Church was established and began meeting on land given by John and Christina Knippa in 1867. The first recorded burial on this site is that of Emma Gertraut Ritter, who died on October 1867. She was soon followed by Anna Rudi, the wife of pastor C.C. Rudi. Ten more church members were interred here before the site was formally established as a cemetery in February 1877. Other members of The Rudi family are interred here along with numerous church members. After several small area churches merged in 1967 the church name was changed to United Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery. The historic graveyard contains both marked and unmarked burials.” The church holds regular church services. (979) 247-4151. It is located on FM 3171, two miles west of U.S. 77. 
 
History of the Painted Churches of Texas:
The more than 20 painted churches in Texas were established by German or Czech emigrants. The churches are so named because almost every interior surface area is painted in vivid colors. Some church interiors are painted in more detail than others. Wall inscriptions are in German or Czech. Many of the churches are small with high steeples. Many of the wooden churches are painted white. The 1886 Wesley Brethren Church in Wesley is the oldest and most primitive of the Painted Churches in Texas. It was a former school house. The 1913 Church of the Guardian Angel in Wallis, Texas was the last painted church built in Texas. In 1984, fifteen of these churches were added to the National Register of Historic Places. Five of the painted churches are located in Fayette County and five are located in Lavaca County. The most famous of the painted churches are the High Hill, Ammannsville, Dubina and Praha churches in Fayette County. All four of these churches are beautifully painted, and all are located within a short distance of each other. The Schulenburg Chamber of Commerce offers tours of these four churches. Call (866) 504-5294 for a tour. The majority of the painted churches offer regular mass or church services.
 
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, Built 1919, Painted 1919, Ammannsville, TX:
The original St. John the Baptist Catholic Church and school opened in 1890 with Father Jules Vrana as priest. It was destroyed by a hurricane in 1909 and was rebuilt. The rebuilt church was destroyed by fire in 1917. In 1919 the third wood church was designed and built by architect John F. Bujnoch in Gothic Revival style, and painted by painter Fred Donecker who also painted the Catholic Church in Moravia. Dielmann also designed the High Hill and Dubina Painted Churches. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The church still holds mass, and hosts their annual church picnic at the KJT Hall on Father’s Day. The church is located 4 miles east of U.S. 77 at 7745 Mensik Road (FM 1383), Ammannsville, Texas 78956. The mail address is Schulenburg, Texas 78945. The church is located four miles west Swiss Alp, Texas.
 
Swiss Alp Dance Hall, Garten, & Grill, Early 1900s, Swiss Alp, TX:
As of 2013, the dance hall is under new management. The dance hall is available for bookings and the restaurant is available for lease. (979) 743-6743. The dance hall is located at 6940 U.S. 77, 9.6 miles south of La Grange, 7 miles north of Schulenburg and 13.6 miles northwest of Weimar, Texas. Email 
 
Sengelmann Dance Hall & Restaurant, 1890s, Schulenburg:
The building has been beautifully restored and reopened in 2009. It features the original 115 year old, long leaf pine dance floor, a restaurant, saloon, biergarten, and a Czech bakery. The restaurant and biergarten offer live music and dancing Thursday through Saturday. Many well-known musicians have played here including Billy Joe Shaver, Cory Morrow, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Asleep at the Wheel, Billy Mata, Bobby Flores, and others. The hall hosts live music and Big Dance Shows. The restaurant is open Wed-Thu, 11am-2:30pm and 5pm-9pm; Fri, 11am-2:30pm and 5pm-9:30pm; Sat, 11am-9:30pm. The saloon is open Wed-Thu until 11pm; Fri until 11:30pm. Hours are seasonal. The dance hall is not necessarily open every weekend. If you are driving a long distance, call to verify hours before arriving. The restaurant, saloon and biergarten are available for private parties. (979) 743-2300. The dance hall is located at 531 North Main Street in Schulenburg. Facebook