Contact
 
 
County
Atascosa
Region
South Texas Plains
Population
2010 Census - 8,934
2000 Census - 8,266
Nearby
Towns
Pleasanton, Texas
null
Pleasanton Texas History:
The 1858 Indian conflicts at Amphion (Navatasco),the Atascosa County seat, caused the settlers to move the county seat nine miles southeast to the junction of Bonita Creek and the Atascosa River. John Bowen donated five acres of land for the townsite, and named the town after early settler John Pleasant. E.B. Thomas, the new townsite’s first settler, opened a general store. Located on the old El Camino Real at an easy crossing point of the Atascosa River, the town became a stopping place on the Chisholm Trail. A log cabin house served as the Atascosa County Courthouse until 1867 when a new courthouse was built by William Guynes. The log courthouse was used then rented to the school district until the Old Rock Schoolhouse was built in 1874. In 1910 the county seat was moved to Jourdanton. In 1912, the Missouri Pacific Railroad built a line between San Antonio and Pleasanton. Two years later the line was extended from Pleasanton to Corpus Christi. Pleasanton incorporated in 1917. In 1914 the town had 1,500 residents; it grew to 2,074 residents by the 1940s. Pleasanton celebrates its cowboy heritage with a "Mr. Cowboy" statue in front of City Hall, and with the annual Cowboy Homecoming Days Festival. A downtown Marker Commemorates Deputy Sheriffs Thomas Monse, Jr., and Mark Stephenson, and Texas State Trooper Terry Wayne Miller who were killed in the line of duty on October 12, 1999. Atascosa County offers good white-tailed deer and dove hunting. The Pleasanton Cemetery features Woodmen of the World monuments. Pleasanton is billed as “The City of Live Oaks and Friendly Folks.” Pleasanton is located on the Atascosa River, just west of IH-37 at the intersections of U.S. 281, SH 97 and SH 242, 5 miles northeast of Jourdanton, 24 miles southwest of Floresville, 26 miles southwest of Elmendorf, 47 miles northwest of Karnes City, 18 miles northwest of Campbellton, 41.5 miles northwest of Three Rivers, 37 miles north of Tilden, 54 miles northeast of Pearsall, 41 miles southeast of Lytle, 27 miles southeast of Devine, 8 miles southeast of Poteet, and 36 miles south of San Antonio, Texas.
 
Historic City of Pleasanton, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“(The town is) named for early Texas Settler John Pleasants, by John Bowen (d.1867), San Antonio's first Anglo-American postmaster. Bowen, assisted financially by associate Henry L. Radaz, in Sept. 1858 founded this town at the juncture of Atascosa River and Bonita Creek as the County Seat of Atascosa County. The first courthouse in Pleasanton (second in county) stood on this site. Men from this and surrounding counties met here in Civil War (1862) to form Co. E, 32nd Texas Volunteer Cavalry, Confederate Army, under Captain Lewis Maverick. In an area thick with Longhorns since Spanish and Indian days, Pleasanton became a cattlemen's capital. Beginning in 1860s, the Stock Raisers' Association of Western Texas often convened here. This was place of publication of "Western Stock Journal", founded 1873. Here gathered the hardiest and most skillful cowboys, including those driving herds from Mexican border to shipping points in Kansas. In spring of 1873 they drove 43,000 Atascosa County cattle up the trail. Pleasanton was County Seat until 1911, and still grows. In 1961 it absorbed North Pleasanton (founded 1912 as site for San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Railroad Shops). County's largest town, it is famous for live oak trees and commerce in beef, peanuts, and petroleum.” The marker is located on the grounds of City Hall at 108 Second Street.
 
Historic Old Rock Schoolhouse, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Constructed of locally quarried red sandstone, the Old Rock Schoolhouse was built in 1874 with funds pledged by citizens of Pleasanton. Once completed, the building was deeded to the county for free public school purposes. In addition to its educational function, the schoolhouse also served as a place of worship for the First Baptist Church from 1875 to 1883. A storm cellar in the school yard served as a sanctuary against Comanche Indian raids on many occasions. Children attended classes six months of the year at no charge, but paid tuition for the remaining three months of the term. The Pleasanton Normal School, a training institute for teachers, operated in the schoolhouse during the summer months. After the city built a new public school on Main Street about 1913, the Old Rock Schoolhouse was closed. It later served as a store, a private residence, and an apartment building. Purchased by the First Baptist Church in 1986, it later was renovated to serve once again as an educational facility. Known for many years to local residents as the "Red Rock Schoolhouse", its original sandstone exterior was concealed under a coat of plaster and paint.” 201 College Street.
 
Historic First Baptist Church of Pleasanton, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“On December 16, 1866, seven charter members met together to organize the First Baptist Church of Pleasanton. They met for worship in a variety of places, including the County Courthouse in 1867, a schoolhouse south of town in 1870, and the rock schoolhouse beginning in 1875. In 1879, Mildred Mansfield (1816-1892) and her son F.M. (1836-1902) donated land at this site, and the congregation's first sanctuary was completed in 1883. In addition to offering worship and educational programs to its own members, the church also was involved in both foreign and domestic missionary endeavors. As the congregation grew in size over the years, additional buildings were erected to meet membership needs. New structures were completed in the 1950s and 1960s prior to the church's Centennial Celebration in 1966. A fire destroyed much of the main church building in February 1972, but the congregation rebuilt and dedicated the renovated structure in October 1974. The Old Rock Schoolhouse, in which the early members had met for worship services, became a part of the church plant in 1986.”  The church and marker are located at 400 North Reed Street.
 
Historic Pleasanton First United Methodist Church, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“This congregation was organized in 1857, one year before the city of Pleasanton was founded. The church was established largely through the efforts of early Methodist circuit preachers such as John Wesley DeVilbliss and Augustus C. Fairman, who later was elected County Judge and settled in Pleasanton. The Rev. Thomas B. Ferguson was appointed first pastor to the Methodist congregation in 1858. Early worship services were held outdoors, in private homes, in the log courthouse, and in the first schoolhouse. The fellowship erected its first sanctuary during the 1860s. A second, built during the 1880s at 421 North Main, today is used for the parsonage. The first church building at this site was constructed in 1912-14. The current sanctuary was completed in 1959. In 1969, Pleasanton First United Methodist Church merged with Jacob's Chapel United Methodist Church, a black congregation organized during the 1870s. The Pleasanton church continues to uphold the ideals and traditions of its founders as it provides significant service and leadership to the community. Many descendants of its pioneer members continue to worship here.” 420 N. Main Street.
 
The Longhorn Museum:
Exhibits and collections depict the history of the working cowboys of Atascosa County, and early ranching, farming, home life and industries. Items include covered wagons, stagecoaches, barbed wire displays, brands, spurs, lariats, saddles and guns. A new museum addition houses a wild game trophy exhibit. A San Antonio, Uvalde & Gulf Railroad Depot and caboose are located adjacent to the museum. The depot houses history information and artifacts pertaining to the early railroad days of South Texas. Open Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm; donations are accepted. (830) 569-6313. The museum is located at 1959 SH 97 East.  
 
Pleasanton High School Douglas R. Williamson Performing Arts Center:
(830) 569-1250. 900 West Adams Street. Email
 
Coastal Bend College Pleasanton:
Other Coastal Bend campuses are located at Alice, Beeville, and Kingsville.(830) 569-4222. 1411 Bensdale, Pleasanton, 78064.
 
Pleasanton Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm; Sat, 9am-1pm. (830) 569-5901. 115 N. Main Street. Email    
 
Poteet Country Winery, 1998:
They produce and sell strawberry, mustang grape and blackberry wines, jams, jellies and juices. The winery and tasting room was once an old dairy barn. Owners Jim Collums and Bob Denson restored the water towers and old windmills, and built a replica of the old general store and furnished it with period pieces. They host an annual Fall Wine Fest. Free tours and free tastings are available Fri-Sun, noon -6pm, and by special appointment. Bring a picnic. (830) 276-8085. 400 Tank Hollow Road, Poteet, TX 78065. Email 
 
Event Venue - Atascosa County Livestock Show Facilities:
Facilities include a show barn, arena, kitchen and concession stand. (830) 569-3747. The livestock facilities are located at 2008 SH 97 West.
 
Annual Cowboy Homecoming Carnival, 3rd Weekend in Aug:
Activities include a Tejano Bike Nite with music, a chili cook-off and other cook-offs, a cowboy breakfast, parade, bull riding, Cow-Pie Bingo, fiddler's contest, street dances, carnival, food vendors, arts & crafts, a 5K run on Saturday, horseshoes, Texas Hold ‘Em, a Cowboy of the Year award and ceremony, an induction to the South Texas Hall of Fame, and a rodeo on Friday and Saturday nights. This event is held at the Atascosa River Park. (830) 569-2163. Email 
 
Annual Atascosa County Fair, First Weekend in Oct:
Call (830) 769-3066 for livestock shows information. The Fair is located at the Poteet Strawberry Festival Grounds, 9199 SH 16, Poteet, Texas. Directions: From San Antonio go south on IH-35. Turn left at Exit 148B (SH 16-Poteet), and travel approximately 25 miles to Poteet; the festival main entrance will be on your right. The south entrance is located on Amphion Road. Email
 
Annual Brush Country Christmas, Dec:
Activities include live music and a visit from Santa. This event is held at the downtown Gazebo. (830) 569-2163. Email
 
Cafe Chris:
They serve sandwiches, chicken fried steak, fish and other menu items. (830) 569-6551. 1350 West Oaklawn Road.