Contact
 
 
County
Oldham
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 884
2000 Census - 936
Nearby
Towns
Vega, Texas
null
Vega Texas History:
N. J. Whitfield became the first settler in the fall of 1899 when he purchased the future townsite. In early 1903, he sold a right-of-way to the Choctaw, Oklahoma, and Texas (later the Rock Island) Railroad., and opened a general store. M. Miller and Howard Trigg surveyed the town in May of that year. In 1904, a saloon, a school and the Vega post office opened. In 1907, ranchers Pat and John Landergin purchased a portion of the LS Ranch from the Swift Company, and began recruiting prospective settlers. After the railroad line was completed in 1909 the town began to rapidly grow. Vega had 223 residents when it became the county seat in a 1915 election. It incorporated in 1927. Today the town remains commercial center for area farmers and ranchers. Vega is located on Historic Route 66, several miles south of the Canadian River at the intersection of U.S. 40 (Vega Boulevard and former Route 66) and U.S. 385 (Main Street), 50 miles north of Dimmitt, 30.6 miles north of Hereford, 14 miles east of Adrian, 64 miles south of Dalhart, 51 miles south of Hartley, 35.6miles slightly southwest of Channing, 23 miles southwest of Boys Ranch Tascosa, 73 miles southwest of Fritch, 36 miles southwest of Amarillo, and 44 miles northwest of Canyon, Texas.
 
Oldham County AgriLife Extension Office:
The Texas A & M AgriLife Extension offices are responsible for 4-H and youth programs, agriculture and natural programs, family and consumer science, and community development. They also have hunting information. They manage head start, senior citizen, home economics, agriculture, 4-H and other programs. If your tomatoes have blight, contact them. If you need to know something regarding a small town, contact them or the county judge’s office.(806) 267-2692. 110 South Main Street, Vega, TX 79092. Email
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52 county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and the Plains Region. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle. The most northern town is Lipscomb, Texas. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a non-profit historical organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization raises money through donations for use in preserving historical sites, creating new and improving existing museums, and creating heritage trails. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas, is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured by the Noconi Comanche during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanche, married Comanche Chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Lawrence S. Ross, a future Governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great Chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s biggest projects is the Quanah Parker Arrow Trail.  When completed, giant Quanah Parker Arrows will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow has a plaque giving pertinent historical information.  (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email   Plains Trail Map
 
Historic Route 66:
Also known as the Will Rogers Highway, and colloquially known as the “Main Street of America” or the “Mother Road,” Route 66 was established in 1926 with road signs erected in 1927. The 2,448 miles highway originally ran from Chicago, Illinois, through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California before ending at Los Angeles, California. A Route 88 slogan was “Get Your Kicks on Route 66.”It was immortalized in a hit song recorded by the Nat King Cole Trio in 1946, and by the 1960s Route 66 television show. Route 66 served as a major path for those who migrated west, especially during the Dust Bowl of the 1930s, and it supported the economies of the communities through which the road passed. People doing business along the route became prosperous due to the growing popularity of the highway, and those same people later fought to keep the highway alive in the face of the growing threat of being bypassed by the new Interstate Highway System. In 1985 Route 66 was officially removed from the U.S. Highway System after being replaced by the Interstate Highway System. After the road was decommissioned in 1985, federal and state agencies, private organizations, and numerous members of public realized that remnants of the road were quickly disappearing, and that the remaining significant structures, features, and artifacts associated with the road should be preserved. In 1990, the U.S. Congress passed Public Law 102-400, the Route 66 Study Act of 1990. The act recognized that Route 66 "has become a symbol of the American people's heritage of travel and their legacy of seeking a better life." The legislation resulted in the National Park Service conducting the Route 66 Special Resource Study to evaluate the significance of Route 66 in American history, and to identify options for its preservation, interpretation, and use. The document provides an in-depth account of significance and history of Route 66. This study led to enactment of Public Law 106-45, and the creation of the Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program.Several states have established Route 66 State Associations. Texas towns located along Route 66 include, Lela, Shamrock, McLean, Alanreed, Jericho, Groom, Lark, Conway, Amarillo, Bushland, Wildorado, Vega, Adrain, and Glenrio, Texas.
    
Oldham County Courthouse, 1915:
The courthouse was designed in classical Revival style by architect O. G. Rouquemore who also designed the Hartley County Courthouse in Channing. In 1967, the sloped roof was removed and an addition was built on the north side. The jail is attached to the south side. Tascosa was the County Seat until Vega became the county seat in a 1915 election. The former county courthouse in Tascosa now houses the Julian Bivins Museum. The 2010 Oldham County census was 2,052. (806) 267-2607. 105 South Main Street.
 
Old Magnolia Gas Station on Route 66, 1920s:
The old Magnolia Gas Station was the 2nd service station built in Vega during the 1920s. 904 Main Street.
 
Vega Buildings and Dot's Mini Museum:
The 1947 Vega Motel is kept in prime condition and is still in operation. The 1926 Roark Hardware is the oldest operating hardware store on Route 66. Click on the above links for abandoned Route 66 Vega buildings. The Late Dot Levitt established the Dot's Mini Museum which features vintage collections and Route 66 memorabilia. The museum is now managed by her daughter, Betty Carpenter.   
 
Milburn Price Cultural Museum:
The museum is located in a hundred plus year old building that once housed the lumber yard. The front of the building has been restored to its original state. The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Vega and Oldham County, including the 1926 Model T, Tin Lizzy. The museum opened in August 2015. It is located at 1005 Coke Street, one block west of the Old Magnolia Station. (806) 340-5510.   
 
Oldham County Heritage Farm & Ranch Museum:
An outdoor display features vintage farm and ranch equipment including horse drawn and early motorized equipment, restored tractors, and a 1929 threshing machine. Other exhibits include brands from early & current day ranchers. Admission is free. The museum is located on U.S. 40 (Old Route 66). 

Hickory Inn Café:
They serve a delicious breakfast and other menu items. In September 2015, their Yelp reviews were all five stars. (806) 267-2569. 1004 Vega Boulevard, Vega. 

Roosters Mexican Restaurant:
They serve very good Mexican food. (806) 267-0113. 1300 Vega Boulevard, Vega.  Reviews
 
The Windy Cow Cafe and Dessert Bar, Wildorado, TX:
They serve very good homemade meals. (806) 426-3001. 709 West IH-40, Wildorado, Texas 79098. Wildorado is located 13.3 miles east of Vega. Reviews
 
Boot Hill Saloon & Grill:
They serve very good food including good barbeque. 806) 267-2904. 909 Vega Boulevard. Reviews