Contact
 
 
County
Crockett
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 3,225
2000 Census - 3,436
Nearby
Towns
Ozona, Texas
null
Ozona Texas History:
In the 1880s, cattle ranchers moved into the area. Later ranchers began raising angora goats and Rambouillet sheep. In 1891, land surveyor E. M. Powell drilled a deep well near Johnson Draw, established a windmill, and donated water and land for a school, churches, parks, and a courthouse and jail. The community was known as Powell Well. Powell’s land agent, Joe Moss, Powell's sold lots. and early settlers planted pecan trees in the shallow soil. In 1891, the post office was established, and the town was elected county seat of Crockett County. The town was renamed Ozona because of its air quality. Within a year the town had a school, a saloon, a blacksmith, two restaurants, a feed yard and 400 residents. In 1898, the Crockett Hotel became a stage stop on the road to San Angelo. Oil and gas wells are located within the town’s city limits, but Ozona never became a boom town. Emerald House, the town's oldest dwelling, has been moved to a park near U.S. 290. Unincorporated Ozona is the only town in Crockett County. Crockett is located at the intersections of IH-10, SH 163 and SH 137 (RR 865), 42.8 miles southeast of Big Lake, 83 miles southwest of San Angelo, 54 miles southwest of Mertzon, 49 miles southwest of Eldorado, 36 miles northwest of Sonora, 82 miles north of Comstock, 45.6 miles east of Sheffield, and 50 miles southeast of Iraan, Texas.
 
Ozona Visitor Center & Park:
The visitor center offers information on communities located within a 300 mile radius of Ozona, and 24 hour restrooms. It is located on 11th Street (Loop 466). (325) 392-3737.

Fort Lancaster State Historic Site Information:
Fort Lancaster was established in 1855 to protect the military route between San Antonio and El Paso, Texas. The fort was abandoned on March 19, 1861, after Texas seceded from the Union. In ruins, the fort once had 25 permanent buildings including a blacksmith shop, hospital, Sutler's store and a bakery. All the ruins are marked with identifying signs. An old cemetery is located on the fort grounds. Many archeological explorations have taken place at the fort. Recovered artifacts are on display in the museum and Visitors Center. A replica of an 1858 Concord stagecoach is also located at the Visitor Center. Park amenities include picnic sites and a nature trail. A golf cart may be rented on a first come, first served basis. There are several Texas Historical Markers at the fort including markers commemorating the fort, the Chihuahua Trail and Escondido Water Hole, and Howards Well. Just east of Fort Lancaster is a Scenic Overlook on U.S. 290 with a Texas Historical Marker commemorating the Old Government Road, a troops and supply road connecting San Antonio and El Paso. The fort site is not ADA compliant though a majority of the site can be navigated by wheelchair. The fort hosts special events and group tours by special arrangement. For more information read Texas Forts History and the Park Brochure.Fort Lancaster is located in the Pecos River Valley, 36 miles west of Ozona, and 11 miles east of Sheffield, Texas. (432) 836-4391. From Sheffield, take U.S. 290 (Scenic Loop), east approximately 11 miles to the park entrance. 
 
Howard's Well, Texas Historical Marker Text:
First known to civilized men in the 18th century, when, according to legend, Franciscan Padre Alvarez prayed for water to ease his thirst, put down his staff, and saw a spring gush forth from the ground. This landmark of western travel was named for its rediscoverer, Richard A. Howard of San Antonio, an ex-Texas Ranger. Howard and other men, along with 15 Delaware Indian guides, made up an expedition sent out in 1848 under Col. John Coffee Hays to map a wagon road from San Antonio to El Paso. Although aided by the discovery of the well, the expedition failed, turning back in a state of near-starvation. In 1849 the US Army made its maps of the route, with Howard along as a guide. Many forty-niners went this way to the California gold rush. In 1853 the first regular San Antonio to El Paso mail line was routed by way of the well. So were many later ventures. Although white travelers seldom caught sight of them, Indians frequented the well. There on April 20, 1872, Comanches and Kiowas surprised a large wagon train led by a man named Gonzales, and killed 16 persons. This was one of the events that led to the US Government's cancellation of hunting permits for reservation Indians. The marker is located on U.S. 290 at the Fort Lancaster State Historical Park Visitor’s Center Parking area, 36 miles west of Ozona and 11 miles east of Sheffield, Texas.   
 
Crockett County Courthouse, 1902:
The limestone courthouse was designed by architect Oscar Ruffini in 2nd Empire Style. It was built from locally quarried limestone. Oscar also designed the Sutton County Courthouse in Sonora. Oscar’s brother, F.E. Ruffini designed the Concho County Courthouse in Paint Rock, Texas. The "Tie that Binds" sculpture of a pioneer family is located on the square. A memorial to David Crockett, a hero of the Alamo, is located in a park across from the courthouse on 11th Street. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The 2010 Crockett County census was 3,719. (325) 392-2965. 907 Avenue D, Ozona, Texas 76943.
 
Crockett County Jail, 1892:
The jail was built of native stone by Z.D. Gafford of San Angelo. The tower may have been designed for hangings, but gallows were never installed. The sheriff’s quarters were located on the first floor of the jail. Children took piano lessons from the sheriff’s wife. The jail is located on Avenue D, east of the courthouse.
 
Crockett County Museum, 1939:
The museum was originally located in a school. The 1926 Methodist Church was reduced to a rock shell during a 1942 fire. It was rebuilt and housed a hospital until it became the courthouse annex in 1958. The museum moved into the annex that same year. The building has since been renovated and the museum now occupies all three floors. Because of the museum’s early establishment, it has accumulated an outstanding collection of exhibits depicting the history of Ozona and the county, including a Chihuahua Road display. The museum also owns and manages the 1889 Emerald House which was relocated to the City Park. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm; Sat, 10am-3pm; closed Sundays. (325) 392-2837. 408 11th Street (Loop 466). Email 
 
Crockett County Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon & Thu, 9am-9pm; Tue, Wed & Fri, 9am-6pm; closed Saturday and Sunday. (325) 392-3565. 1201 Avenue G. Photos
 
Crockett County Senior Center:
The center offers activities, wellness programs, and lunch for seniors. (325) 392-9094. 2 SH 163 North. Email
  
Crockett County Youth & Civic Center:
The center provides youth activities, and is available for event rentals. The 300-400 person capacity facility features a full kitchen and restrooms. (325) 392-3266. 103 Medical Drive.
 
Ozona Day Care Center:
This non-profit offers year round day care for children ages 6 weeks to 12 years. (325) 392-2710. 1604 Primary Street.
 
Crockett County Fair Park Convention Center: 
(325) 392-2574. (325) 392-2781. 1303 Avenue AA.
 
Annual DeerFest, 1st Saturday in Dec:
Activities include a wild game dinner, entertainment, and fabulous door prizes. Hunters and other visitors come from miles away to attend this event. An admission fee applies. (325) 392-3737.
 
Annual Davey Crocket Festival, Oct:
Activities include arts and crafts booths, food vendors, children’s activities, a washer tournament and live entertainment from noon-6pm on the courthouse square. (325) 392-3737.
 
Hitchin’ Post Steakhouse:
They serve very good steak, chicken fried steak and other menu items. Open daily, 11am-11pm; kitchen closes at 10pm. Wi-Fi is available. (325) 392-5280. 1301 Sheffield Road. Reviews
 
Cafe Next Door:
(325) 392-5623. 502 14th Street. Reviews
 
El Chato's Restaurant and Club:
They serve delicious Mexican food and chicken fried steak. (325) 392-5808. 1201 15th Street. Reviews