Contact
 
 
County
Pecos
Region
Big Bend
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 600
Nearby
Towns
Sheffield, Texas
null
Sheffield Texas History:
The first Europeans to visit the area were Spanish explorer Gaspar Castaño de Sosa and his men who traveled up the Pecos River in 1590.Several other Spanish expeditions passed through or near the future townsite of Sheffield but established no permanent settlements. In 1849, lieutenants Francis T. Bryan, Nathaniel Michler, and W. H. C. Whiting made a preliminary survey to establish the San Antonio-El Paso Mail route. Ranchers began to settle the area around Sheffield in the late 1880s. John Cannon purchased land along the Pecos River in 1888. The site included the Pecos Spring. In 1898, Will Sheffield purchased land adjacent to Cannon’s and established the Sheffield post office. In 1901, Sheffield opened a store where a small settlement developed. By 1906, the town had three grocery stores, two wagon yards, a blacksmith shop, a barbershop, a four-room hotel and a saloon. The town became a supply point and social center for surrounding ranchers. The Sheffield Township field began producing natural gas in 1971. The construction of U.S. Highway 290 in the 1920s established Sheffield became a stopping point for traveling motorists. Although Interstate 10 bypassed it in the early 1980s, the town continued to thrive. Sheffield is located on the Pecos River at the intersection of SH 290 and SH. 349, 71 miles slightly southeast of the Pecos County seat of Fort Stockton, 18.7 miles southeast of Iraan, 44 miles west of Ozona, and 59 miles northeast of Dryden, Texas.

Fort Lancaster State Historic Site Information:
Fort Lancaster was established in 1855 to protect the military route between San Antonio and El Paso, Texas. The fort was abandoned on March 19, 1861, after Texas seceded from the Union. In ruins, the fort once had 25 permanent buildings including a blacksmith shop, hospital, Sutler's store and a bakery. All the ruins are marked with identifying signs. An old cemetery is located on the fort grounds. Many archeological explorations have taken place at the fort. Recovered artifacts are on display in the museum and Visitors Center. A replica of an 1858 Concord stagecoach is also located at the Visitor Center. Park amenities include picnic sites and a nature trail. A golf cart may be rented on a first come, first served basis. There are several Texas Historical Markers at the fort including markers commemorating the fort, the Chihuahua Trail and Escondido Water Hole, and Howards Well. Just east of Fort Lancaster is a Scenic Overlook on U.S. 290 with a Texas Historical Marker commemorating the Old Government Road, a troops and supply road connecting San Antonio and El Paso. The fort site is not ADA compliant though a majority of the site can be navigated by wheelchair. The fort hosts special events and group tours by special arrangement. For more information read Texas Forts History and the Park Brochure.Fort Lancaster is located in the Pecos River Valley, 36 miles west of Ozona, and 11 miles east of Sheffield, Texas. (432) 836-4391. From Sheffield, take U.S. 290 (Scenic Loop), east approximately 11 miles to the park entrance. 
 
Howard's Well, Texas Historical Marker Text:
First known to civilized men in the 18th century, when, according to legend, Franciscan Padre Alvarez prayed for water to ease his thirst, put down his staff, and saw a spring gush forth from the ground. This landmark of western travel was named for its rediscoverer, Richard A. Howard of San Antonio, an ex-Texas Ranger. Howard and other men, along with 15 Delaware Indian guides, made up an expedition sent out in 1848 under Col. John Coffee Hays to map a wagon road from San Antonio to El Paso. Although aided by the discovery of the well, the expedition failed, turning back in a state of near-starvation. In 1849 the US Army made its maps of the route, with Howard along as a guide. Many forty-niners went this way to the California gold rush. In 1853 the first regular San Antonio to El Paso mail line was routed by way of the well. So were many later ventures. Although white travelers seldom caught sight of them, Indians frequented the well. There on April 20, 1872, Comanches and Kiowas surprised a large wagon train led by a man named Gonzales, and killed 16 persons. This was one of the events that led to the US Government's cancellation of hunting permits for reservation Indians. The marker is located on U.S. 290 at the Fort Lancaster State Historical Park Visitor’s Center Parking area, 36 miles west of Ozona and 11 miles east of Sheffield, Texas.   
 
Birding - Far West Texas Birding Wildlife Trail:
Sanderson-Sheffield Loop:Sheffield, Sanderson, Dryden
Texas Bird Checklist with Photos
Bird Checklist for West Texas Trans-Pecos
Pecos County Bird Checklist with Photos
 
Independence Creek Preserve:
This 19,740 acre preserve, watered by spring-fed Independence Creek, is one of the few remaining recoverable freshwater tributaries of the lower Pecos River in the Chihuahuan desert. Caroline Spring is located at the preserve headquarters. The preserve lands include the Chandler, Bailey, and Oasis Ranches. The preserve is located about 22 miles south of Sheffield, off IH-10, on SH 349. Visitation is through the many activities the preserve hosts for the public. During public events the public is invited to camp, swim in the lakes, hike, picnic, catch and release fish, explore the creek, bird watch, and participate in other outdoor activities. Pets and campfires are prohibited on the preserve. The preserve is managed by the Nature Conservancy of Texas, (432) 345-6773. Main Office: (210) 224-8774. The preserve is located on SH 349, 40 miles south of Iraan, and 22 mikles south of Sheffield, Texas. Email 1  Email 2  
 
Fort Lancaster State Historic Site Information:   
Fort Lancaster was established in 1855 to protect the military route between San Antonio and El Paso, Texas. The fort was abandoned on March 19, 1861, after Texas seceded from the Union. In ruins, the fort once had 25 permanent buildings including a blacksmith shop, hospital, Sutler's store and a bakery. All the ruins are marked with identifying signs. An old cemetery is located on the fort grounds. Many archeological explorations have taken place at the fort. Recovered artifacts are on display in the museum and Visitors Center. A replica of an 1858 Concord stagecoach is also located at the Visitor Center. Park amenities include picnic sites and a nature trail. A golf cart may be rented on a first come, first served basis. There are several Texas Historical Markers at the fort including markers commemorating the fort, the Chihuahua Trail and Escondido Water Hole, and Howards Well. Just east of Fort Lancaster is a Scenic Overlook on U.S. 290 with a Texas Historical Marker commemorating the Old Government Road, a troops and supply road connecting San Antonio and El Paso. The fort site is not ADA compliant though a majority of the site can be navigated by wheelchair. The fort hosts special events and group tours by special arrangement. For more information read Texas Forts History and the Park Brochure. Fort Lancaster is located in the Pecos River Valley west of Ozona, Texas. (432) 836-4391. From Sheffield, take IH-10 east. Exit 343 on U.S. 290 (Scenic Loop), and go approximately 11 miles to the park entrance.
 
Learn to Camp at Texas Parks & Wildlife State Parks' Outdoor Family Camping Workshops:
Theseworkshops are family camping sessions designed to teach camping skills to those who do not know how to camp; everything is provided from tent to broom. Gear includes a coffee pot, dishes, cooking pots, a camp stove, a battery operated fan and lantern, air mattresses, and a tent. Basic skills taught include pitching a tent, making a campfire, cooking on a propane camp stove, geocaching and using a GPS. Wildlife viewing, fishing and kayaking are available depending on the park and its facilities. After making reservations, families will be sent a packet of information which includes a grocery list. Those interested in this program may sign up for E-Mail Updates on Currently Scheduled Workshops. (512) 389-8903. Calendar
 
Hunt Texas Online Connection:
More than 95% of Texas land is privately owned, making it hard for hunters to find affordable hunting opportunities. The Texas Parks and Wildlife has a huge public hunting program, and has developed a new service to help hunters find hunting places. This new service is provided free by the TPWD. It allows landowners to list available hunting leases or spots that have opened up, and allows hunters to find private hunting leases according to their preferences. 
                      
Hunting, Texas Parks and Wildlife, General Hunting Information
Hunting, Public Hunting on State Lands, TPWD
Hunter Education
Hunting Season by Animal
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Donations