Contact
 
 
County
Cameron
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 2,437
2000 Census - 1,754
Nearby
Towns
Rancho Viejo, Texas
null
Rancho Viejo, Texas History:
The area was first settled in 1770 when Jose Salvador de la Garza and his wife Maria Gertrudis de la Garza Falcon found the Espiritu Santo and El Tanque Ranches, which later became known as El Rancho Viejo; Falcon Dam is named after Maria. In 1968 the Rancho Viejo Resort and Country Club was founded on 280 acres of land purchased by Bill Bass. In 1976, the resort went bankrupt and was sold to Rancho Viejo. It incorporated in 1978. The community that developed around the Country Club consisted mainly of retirees who voted in 1980 to incorporate. Winter Texans and wealthy Mexican nationals purchased houses causing the population to swell to 750. The city is largely residential and could be considered a suburb of Brownsville. Local children attend school in Los Fresnos or Brownsville. The country club and golf courses occupy 1,400 acres. Rancho Viejo is located on the Resaca del Rancho Viejo, adjacent to U.S. 77/83, 28 miles southeast of Progreso, 15 miles southeast of Harlingen, 9 miles southeast of San Bonito, 17 miles south of Rio Hondo, 27.6 miles southwest of Arroyo City, 32.6 miles southwest of South Padre Island, 10 miles southwest of Los Fresnos, and 12 miles northwest of Brownsville, Texas. From Harlingen or San Benito, go south on U.S. 77 past the Park Road 100 turn off for South Padre Island. 
 
Palo Alto Battlefield NHP Information:
The May 8, 1846 Battle of Palo Alto was the first battle of the Mexican-American War. At this two day battle the forces of Mexican General M. Arista were defeated by the forces of General Zachary Scott Taylor. After this battle, the defeated Mexican forces retreated across the Rio Grande River. The current site consists of 3,400 acres. A one mile round trip park trail leads to a battlefield overlook where interpretive panels and replica cannon are located. The trail and battlefield close at 4:30pm. There are several ADA accessible ponds and trails which are good birding sites. A nine mile trail connects to Brownsville’s 7 miles Paseo de la Resaca Trails at the Brownsville Events Center. The park is operated by the National Park Service. Call for tours. Open daily, 8am-5pm; closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Days. The battlefield is located at 7200 Paredes Line Road near the intersection of FM 1847 (Paredes Line Road) and FM 511, approximately five miles north of Brownsville, and 7 miles south of Los Fresnos. The Visitors Center is located on the east side of FM 1847, approximately 300 yards north of the intersection. The Visitors Center features a bookstore, historic displays from the perspective of each side, and shows a video detailing the history of the war. The center also offers guided tours seasonally and hosts special events. School field trips are available by calling (956) 541-2785, Ext. 332. For more complete park information, go to the Palo Alto Battlefield NHS Home Page.
 
Palmito Ranch Battlefield NHL Information:
The battle at Palmito Ranch was fought on the banks of the Rio Grande River, approximately 12 miles east of Brownsville, Texas. It was the last battle of the Civil War. It was fought on May 12-13, a month after General Lee’s surrender. This site is located adjacent to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Boca Chica NWR Tract. (512) 463-5833. For more complete park information, go to the Palmito Ranch Battlefield NHL Home Page. From Brownsville, take Route 4 (Boca Chica Road) approximately 12 miles east of Brownsville.