Panhandle Plains
2010 Census - 2,740
2000 Census - 2,908
Seymour, Texas
Seymour Texas History:
Baylor County was created by the Texas legislature in 1858. Because the area was home to the Comanche, Tonkawa and Wichita Indians, settlement wasn’t possible until 1878 when the area was settled by pioneers from Oregon who called the community Oregon City. When the post office was established in 1879 the town was renamed Seymour. Seymour was originally located on the Great Western Cattle Trail. George Jones opened the first store in 1879. Seymour citizens raised $50,000 to encourage construction of the Wichita Valley line through the area. When the line was completed in 1890 most residents of nearby Round Timbers moved to Seymour. The town incorporated that year, but dissolved the incorporation after the railroad boom passed in 1892. The town reincorporated in 1906 when oil was discovered in Baylor County. Today, primary industries are farming, ranching and oil production. The town also attracts tourists from nearby Lake Kemp. The city has an ongoing project of installing antique lighting fixtures in the downtown area. Seymour is located on the North Salt Fork of the Brazos River; Seymour Creek meanders through town. Seymour is Baylor County’s only town. Seymour is located at the intersections of U.S 277, U.S. 283, U.S. 183, U.S. 82 and SH 114, 46 miles northeast of Haskell, 36.8 miles northeast of Knox City, 24.8 miles northeast of Munday, 31.7 miles east of Benjamin, 60 miles southeast of Crowell, 46 miles south of Vernon, 52 miles southwest of Wichita Falls, 48.5 miles west of Archer City, 60 miles northwest of Graham, 50 miles slightly northwest of Fort Griffin, and 31 miles northwest of Throckmorton, Texas.
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great War Chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408.   Email    Texas Plains Trail Map
City of SeymourCity Hall:
The city hall is located in the Municipal Auditorium building designed by Voelcker and Dixon in 1924. (940) 889-3148. 301 North Washington Street, Seymour, TX 76380.  Email 
Baylor County Courthouse, 1968:
This courthouse was designed in modern style by architects Pierce, Norris & Pace. The courthouse also serves as the county library. The first courthouse was built in 1884.The 2010 Baylor County census was 3,726. (940) 889-3322. 101 South Washington Street.