Contact
 
 
County
Collin
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 259,841
2000 Census - 220,030
Nearby
Towns
Plano, Texas
null
Plano Texas History:
In 1844, early settlers McBain Jameson and Jeremiah Muncey were killed by Indians. That same year the peace Treaty of Tehuacana Creek was signed by the Republic of Texas and twelve Indian tribes. By signing the treaty, the Texas government and the Comanche, Keechi, Waco, Caddo, Anadarko, Ioni, Delaware, Shawnee, Cherokee, Lipan Apache and the Tawakoni Indian tribes committed themselves to cease all hostilities and to work to establish cooperative commercial and political ties. This treaty provided a measure of safety for those wishing to settle in the Dallas area. Settlers from the Peters Colony safely settled in the Plano area in 1845. In 1851, William Forman purchased the Beck’s survey and built a general store and several other businesses. The Plano post office was established in Forman’s home in 1852. The town was platted and incorporated in 1873. Early industries included a garment factory, an electric wire factory and plumbing and stove manufacturing plants. Until the Houston and Central Railroad built a line from Dallas and Plano in 1872, cattle were driven to market on the Shawnee Trail. An 1881 Plano fire destroyed 52 buildings, reducing the town to a tent city. In 1888, the St. Louis, Arkansas and Texas Railway built a line through town. The two rail lines established Plano as a retail and shipping center for area farmers. The area remained a farming community until the 1970s when a rise in property taxes caused the demise of farming. By 1890, Plano had 1,304 residents. Plano’s schools consistently score among the highest in the nation, and in 2006, CNN magazine rated it the wealthiest city in the United States with a poverty rate of less than 6.4%. Plano is bordered on the north by Allen and Frisco and on the south by Richardson, Texas. Plano is located at the intersection of U.S. 75 and the President George Bush Turnpike, 47 miles northeast of Waxahachie and Lake Waxahachie, 53 miles northeast of Fort Worth, 36 miles northeast of Cedar Hill and Cedar Hill State Park, 32 miles northeast of Grand Prairie and Joe Pool and Mountain Creek Lakes, 27 miles northeast of Grapevine and Lake Grapevine, 17.5 miles northeast of Dallas,13 miles northeast of Addison, 6 miles northeast of Richardson, 49 miles southeast of Sanger and Ray Roberts Lake, 37 miles southeast of Denton, 22 miles southeast of Lewisville and Lake Lewisville, 19 miles southeast of Frisco, 17 miles southeast of The Colony, 57 miles south of Denison and Lake Texoma, 53 miles southwest of Bonham and Bonham State Park, 14 miles southwest of McKinney, 10 miles west of Wylie and Lake Lavon, 24 miles northwest of Mesquite,
and 11 miles northwest of Lake Ray Hubbard and Garland, Texas.
 
Historic Downtown Plano Walking Tour:
Plano’s historic downtown is bounded by Avenue G, 18th Street, 14th Street and Municipal Avenue. 15th Street’s brick streets are lined with early 20th century homes, restaurants, shops and cultural attractions. This area begins near the downtown Plano station on DART’s Red Line. The tour begins at the Interurban Building on the north side of East 15th Street. The Tour Map lists the original street names in brown and the current street names in Green. These maps are available from the HDPA at 1000 East 14th Street, Plano, 75074. (972) 543-8840. Email