Panhandle Plains
2010 Census - 2,417
2000 Census - 2,334
Seagraves, Texas
Seagraves Texas History:
In 1905, the J.C. Sartin family settled in the area with their approximately 800 head of cattle. The community that developed was named Blyth. The Blyth post office was established on the Blyth Ranch in 1911. Between 1916 and 1918, the Santa Fe Railroad established a station in Blyth, and the railroad’s land company promoted the town, but changed its name to Seagraves because the Santa Fe already had a California station named Blyth. In 1917, the railroad extended the line to Lubbock and Seagraves immediately became a successful cattle shipping center. In 1928, the town suffered a disastrous fire. Seagraves incorporated in 1925 and 1928. Regional oil production began in 1936, causing the town to grow from 505 residents in 1930 to 3,225 by 1940. Seagraves incorporated in 1925 and 1928. By 1950, the population declined to 2,090. Cedar Lake is located seventeen miles southwest of town, adding tourism to the town’s economic base. Today Seagraves is a marketing and shipping center for a three county area. The town’s economy is partially based on light manufacturing, and is the largest cotton and peanut producer in the state. Seagraves is located 28 miles east of the New Mexico state line at the intersection of SH 83. U.S. 385/U.S. 62, 46.5 miles north of Andrews, 48 miles northeast of Hobbs (New Mexico) 18 miles northeast of Seminole, 16 miles east of Denver City, 31.4 miles southeast of Plains, 104 miles south of Muleshoe, 64 miles southwest of Lubbock, 23.8 miles southwest of Brownfield, 43 miles northwest of Lamesa, and 90 miles northwest of Midland, Texas.
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email Plains Trail Map
Gaines County AgriLife Extension Office, Seminole TX:
The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension offices are responsible for 4-H and youth programs, agriculture and natural programs, family and consumer science, and community development. They also have hunting information. They manage head start, senior citizen, home economics, agriculture and other programs. If your tomatoes have blight, contact them. If you need to know something regarding a small town, contact them or the county judge’s office. (432) 758-4006. 101 South Main Street, Seminole, Texas 79360 Email   
Seagraves Loop Museum & Art Center:
The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Seagraves. It sponsors an annual arts and crafts show. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-12pm and 1pm-5pm; Sat, 10am-2pm. 806-546-2810. The museum is located in the old Santa Fe train depot at 201 Main Street and Hill Avenue.
Gaines County Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. (806) 546-2480. 311 Hill Street.
Seniors, Seagraves Senior Center:
(806) 546-2810.
Zia Park & Black Gold Casino & Race Track, Hobbs, New Mexico:
(575) 492-7000. (888) 942-7275. 3901 W. Millen Drive, Hobbs, NM 88240. Hobbs is located 50 miles northwest of Andrews. Hobbs Map; Click to Enlarge  Area Map