Contact
 
 
County
Hutchinson
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 1,881
2000 Census - 1,936
Nearby
Towns
Stinnett, Texas
null
Stinnett Texas History:
Stinnett was established in 1926 as a shipping point on the Amarillo branch of the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway.“Ace” Borger (namesake of Borger, Texas) and his partner J.T. Peyton sold town lots. The town had approximately 2,500 residents within months. In 1926, Stinnett was elected county seat of Hutchinson County. Stinnett incorporated in 1927 and the post office opened in December, 1928. Today, Stinnett is a commercial center for area farmers and ranchers, and the oil industry. Stinnett is located at the intersections of SH 152, SH 136 and SH 207, 52 miles north of Claude, 35 miles north of Panhandle, 61 miles northeast of Amarillo, 25 miles northeast of Fritch, 30.5 miles east of Dumas, 68 miles southeast of Dalhart, 56 miles southwest of Perryton, 30.6 miles southwest of Spearman, 63 miles northwest of Miami, 75 miles northwest of McLean, 40 miles northwest of Pampa, and 12 miles slightly northwest of Borger, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Historic Battles of Adobe Walls:
Adobe Walls, now a ghost town, was established just north of the Canadian River in 1843 as a trading post for buffalo hunters and for Indian trading. In 1845, an Adobe fort was built to house the trading post. Three years later, after repeated Indian attacks, the traders blew up the fort. The site later became a ranching community. The First Battle of Adobe Walls occurred on November 26, 1864 in the vicinity of the town and the ruins of William Bent’s abandoned adobe trading post. This battle was one of the largest ever fought between the United States Army (led by Kit Carson) and Native Americans. 335 soldiers fought over 1,000 members of the Kiowa, Comanche and Plains Apache tribes. The Indians initially drove the U.S. Army forces from the battlefield, but the Army staged a successful counterattack resulting in light casualties on both sides. By June 1874, ten years after the first battle, traders had established two stores near the ruins of the old trading post in an effort to rekindle the town of Adobe Walls. The complex quickly grew to include two stores, a corral, a restaurant, and a blacksmith shop. It served 200 to 300 area buffalo hunters. Approximately 28 people were located at Adobe Walls including William “Billy” Dixon whose famous long distance rifle shot ended the siege at the 2nd Battle of Adobe Walls. The Comanche, Cheyenne, Kiowa, and Arapaho Indians perceived the settlement and buffalo hunting as a threat to their existence. By late June, Indian problems had developed, and a few hunters had been killed by Indians. That spring, the Indians held a sun dance. Comanche medicine man Isa-tai promised victory and immunity from bullets to warriors who took the fight to the enemy. At dawn on June 27, 1874, about seven hundred Indians under the leadership of Quanah Parker and Isa-tai attacked the post. The battle was highlighted on the second day by the legendary shot of William "Billy" Dixon, who killed an Indian on a faraway hill using a Sharps buffalo rifle. Despite being outnumbered, the hunters repelled the Comanche assault. After a four-day siege, reinforcements arrived, increasing the garrison to approximately 100 men. The Comanches retired soon afterward. The Hutchinson County Historical Museum in Borger features an exhibit detailing Adobe Walls. The Adobe Walls monument and markers are located northeast of Stinnett and southwest of Spearman. From Stinnett travel 12 miles north on SH 207. Turn east onto the blacktop road at the Adobe Walls sign on the east side of the road. The road will turn south and turn to gravel. Stay on the mail road until you reach a wide valley containing the monuments. You will travel 15.7 miles on the blacktop and gravel road. 
 
Hutchinson County Courthouse, 1927:
The courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance style by architect William C. Townes. It originally had a rooftop jail and sheriff's quarters that was used until 1982 when the courthouse was remodeled and the jail was moved. Isaac McCormick’s pioneer cottage is located on the square. The 2010 Hutchinson County census was 22,150. (806) 878-4000. 500 Main Street, Stinnett, TX 79083. Email 
 
Isaac McCormick House, 1899:
The house is one of the oldest buildings in Hutchinson County. In 1965, it was moved to its present location by ranchers Edgar and Blanche Britain who deeded the house to the county. In 1901, the house was the site of the first Hutchinson County election. Its contents belonged to early county settlers including the McCormick family. The house is located on the north side of the courthouse square at 500 Main Street. Admission is by appointment only, and is free. Call the Hutchinson County Historical Museum in Borger for tour arrangements. (806) 273-0130.  
 
Stinnett City Hall Permian Era Human Footprints Display:
The Permian era stone footprints were found in 1934 by A.M. Coffee, a local oil man, and are thought to be approximately 225 million years old. The footprints and a replica of the oldest prehistoric bison in the area are on display in the Stinnett City Hall. Open Mon-Fri, 7:30am-4:30pm. (806) 878-2422. 609 McKenzie Street.    
 
Hutchinson County Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-11:45am; 1pm-5pm. 500 South Main Street. (806) 878-4013. Email