Contact
 
 
Counties
Collin, Dallas
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 99,223
2000 Census - 91,802
Nearby
Towns
Richardson, Texas
null
Richardson Texas History:
In 1844, the peace Treaty of Tehuacana Creek was signed by the Republic of Texas and twelve Indian tribes. By signing the treaty, the Texas government and the Comanche, Keechi, Waco, Caddo, Anadarko, Ioni, Delaware, Shawnee, Cherokee, Lipan Apache and the Tawakoni Indian tribes committed themselves to cease all hostilities and to work to establish cooperative commercial and political ties. This treaty provided a measure of safety for those wishing to settle in the Dallas Area. The Richardson area was first settled by the Peters colony in the 1840s and 1850s on a North Texas as impresario grant made in 1841 by the Republic of Texas to William S. Peters and his group of English and American investors. The community that developed was called Breckinridge. In 1873, the Houston and Texas Central Railroad built a line through the area, bypassing the town. William J. Wheeler and Bernard Reilly donated 101 acres for the railroad right-of-way and the town of Richardson. Residents of Breckinridge moved to Richardson to be closer to the railroad. The Richardson post office was established in 1874. The town thrived; by 1881, it had general stores, groceries, drug stores, four physicians, cotton gins, churches and a school. The Red Brick Road (Greenville Avenue was completed in 1924. Richardson incorporated in 1925. By the 1960s, Richardson was attracting the upper income college graduates. Education was important to the community and the Southwest Center for Advanced Studies was established in 1964. It became the University of Texas at Dallas in 1969. Richardson is a vibrant community with a strong outdoors and cultural presence, a great wildflower planting program, two institutions of higher learning, and a strong manufacturing and business base; it has done well creating its own identity, or perhaps hanging on to its identity while this area of Texas has been rapidly growing. It’s a great little town. The entire 159 acre City of Buckingham is located entirely within Richardson’s city limits. Spring and Duck Creeks and Cottonwood Branch run through the community. Richardson is bounded by Dallas to the northwest and south, Plano to the north, Garland to the east and south, and Murphy and Sachse to the east. The 159 acre City of Buckingham is located entirely within the city limits of Richardson. Spring Creek, Duck Creek and Cottonwood Creek run through the community. Richardson is located at the intersection of U.S. 75 and the President George Bush Turnpike, 45 miles northeast of Fort Worth, 34 miles northeast of Arlington, 30 miles northeast of Cedar Hill and Cedar Hill State Park, 26 miles northeast of Grand Prairie and Mountain Creek and Joe Pool Lakes, 12 miles northeast of Dallas, 12 miles northeast of Farmers Branch, 23 miles east of Grapevine and Lake Grapevine, 22.5 miles southeast of Lewisville and Lake Lewisville, 22 miles southeast of Frisco, 11 miles southeast of Carrollton, 18.7 miles southwest of McKinney, 12 miles southwest of Allen, 6 miles southwest of Plano, 17.8 miles southwest of Wylie and Lake Lavon, 43 miles west of Quinlan and Lake Tawakoni, 23.6 miles northwest of Rockwall, 17 miles northwest of Mesquite, 8 miles northwest of Garland and Ray Hubbard Lake, and 43 miles north of Waxahachie, Texas.