Contact
 
 
County
Hopkins
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 15,449
2000 Census - 14,551
Nearby
Towns
Sulphur Springs, Texas
null
Sulphur Springs Texas History:
The community of Bright Star was established in the 1840s as a camping place for teamsters hauling freight west from Jefferson. Stores and a hotel were established, and the town incorporated by 1852. The Bright Star post office opened in 1854. In 1870, Bright Star became the county seat of the newly formed Hopkins County. Dr. O. S. Davis donated land for the courthouse square. The town was renamed Sulphur Springs in 1871 when the town began advertising the health benefits of the area’s mineral springs. By 1885 the town had several churches and schools, a flour mill, planing and sawmills, furniture factories, foundries and machine shops, wagon factories, tanneries, three hotels, an opera house, banks, two weekly newspapers and 2,500 residents. The town as continued to grow steadily through the years. Hopkins County has 196 dairy farms, more than any other county in Texas. Sulphur Springs is located at the intersections of IH-30/U.S. 67, SH 154, SH 19 and SH 11, 78 miles northeast of Dallas, 32 miles east of Greenville, 70 miles southeast of McKinney, 52 miles southeast of Bonham, 20 miles southeast of Commerce, 21 miles southeast of Cooper , 37.8 miles south of Paris, 10 miles south of Jim Chapman Lake, 25 miles southwest of Mount Vernon, 41 miles west of Mount Pleasant and Lake Bob Sandlin, 44.5 miles northwest of Pittsburg, 23 miles northwest of Winnsboro, 27 miles northwest of Quitman, 36.7 miles slightly northwest of Mineola, 14.8 miles north of Yantis and Lake Fork, 46 miles northeast of Canton, 33.6 miles northeast of East Tawakoni, and 22.8 miles northeast of Emory, Texas.
 
Hopkins County Courthouse, 1895:
This beautiful courthouse was designed in Romanesque revival style by famed courthouse architect J. Riely Gordon. The previous courthouse was built on the east side of the town square. When it burned down in 1894, the county purchased additional land to enlarge the square, and built the new courthouse on the northeast corner of the enlarged square. This enlarged square offers plenty of room for community events. A bandstand and small lawn are located on the east side of the square. The parking lot and sidewalks are paved with red bricks. The 2010 Hopkins County census was 35,161. (903) 438-4006. 118 Church Street. 
 
Hopkins County Veterans Memorial Park in Heritage Square:
The granite memorial walls commemorate all Hopkins County veterans who served in the U.S. military. The wall has space for up to 10,000 names. 416 N. Jackson Street. Email  
 
Hopkins County Museum and Heritage Park:
The museum is housed in the 1910 George H. Wilson house. The inside walls are built of double brick. Each room has a separate foundation and a pressed tin ceiling. Museum exhibits include a doll collection, miniatures of prominent local buildings, period apparel, Civil War memorabilia, Caddo Indian relics, fossils from the Paleolithic Era, and items depicting the history of Hopkins County. Eleven historic buildings are located onsite including a general store, a Texaco gas station, print shop, blacksmith shop, a grist mill and a chapel. The museum hosts special events including stew and Dutch oven cook-offs, a Folk Festival, the Indian Summer Festival, and Christmas in the Park. It also hosts special educational programs including Dutch oven cooking classes. For more information on Dutch Oven cooking, go to the Sulphur Springs Outdoors Page. The museum and grounds are open Tue-Sat, 10am-2pm; closed Sun-Mon and major holidays. The buildings are open only during annual events and by special appointment. A nominal admission fee applies. (903) 885-2387. 416 N. Jackson Street.
 
SouthWest Dairy Museum and Learning Center:
This 10,000 square foot facility is a typical dairy-farm style building featuring a five-story silo that houses a conference room. One of the main exhibits is a series of historical vignettes that show the life of a dairy farm family before electricity came to rural America. Guided tours are available for school children and tourists. Visitors can participate in demonstrations such as separating cream, and the making of dairy products into butter, cheese, whipped cream or ice cream. They also have a mobile dairy classroom, a traveling milking parlor featuring a live cow and an oral presentation. The Creamery’s soda fountain serves light lunch menu items and wonderful ice cream treats. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-4pm. (903) 439-6455. 1210 Houston Street. Email  
 
St. Clair Music Box Collection & Sinclair Collection of World War II Memorabilia:
The music box collection includes 150 music boxes collected by Leo St. Clair during his U.S. Navy service days. The World War II collection documents the wartime activities of Buddy Sinclair, a T-Patcher (Texas National Guard), during the war, and includes photographs, letters, and papers. Buddy and his T-Patch comrades went through training and on to Anzio, Italy. Katy stayed behind and became a "Rosie the Riveter," working in the defense industry. Katy’s memorabilia include her collection of swizzle sticks, wine lists and other items. These collections are located in the Sulphur Springs Public Library. Open Mon-Wed, 9am-6pm; Thu, 11am-8pm; Fri, 9am-6pm; Sat, 9am-1pm; closed Sunday. (903) 885-4926. 611 North Davis Street.
 
Main Street Theatre:
The theater hosts family friendly productions, offers opportunities for behind the scenes volunteers, and hosts workshops. (903) 885-0107. 225-227 Main Street.
 
Sulphur Springs Symphony League & Northeast Texas Symphony Orchestra:
The league’s Northeast Texas Symphony provides classical and pop orchestra music to Hopkins County residents at select Sulphur Springs’ venues and at the annual Independence Day Celebration. The Sulphur Springs Symphony League and the Northeast Texas Symphony Association are the same organization. Email  Events
 
North East Texas Choral Society:
The Choral Society currently performs two major concerts per year. The Christmas concert is held the first weekend in December, and the spring concert is held the first weekend in May. Performances are held at the Hopkins County Civic Centre in Sulphur Springs at 1200 Houston Street. Click on the above link for the current schedule. Choral Email
 
Paris Junior College, Sulphur Springs Campus:
(903) 885-1232. 1202 W. Houston Street, Sulphur Springs, Texas 75483
 
Sulphur Springs Public Library & Special Museum Collections:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. It also houses the St. Clair Music Box Collection and the Sinclair Collection of World War II memorabilia. The music box collection is one of the largest of its kind. The Sinclair Collection of World War II collection features memorabilia documenting the activities of the T-Patchers (Texas National Guard) during World War 11. Open Mon-Wed & Fri, 9am-6pm; Thu, 11am-8pm; Sat, 9am-1pm; closed Sunday. (903) 885-4926. 611 North Davis Street.
 
Sulphur Springs Senior Citizens Center:
This center provides activities, programs, and clubs and support services for those ages 50 and over. Open Mon-Fri, 8am-3pm. (903) 885-1661. 150 Martin Luther King Boulevard.
 
Crossroads Music Company, Winnsboro:
This live music venue features regional and national touring artists most weekends. In 2012, they were holding performances at the Winnsboro Center for the Arts at 200 Market Street in Winnsboro, but were in the process of building a new home at 204 Market Street. The Winnsboro Center is a small venue that seats up to 100 with the tables removed. The Winnsboro Center hosts a concession, and visitors may bring wine. Coolers must be left in vehicles as there is no room. It is a good idea to pre-order tickets by calling (903) 342-1854 or (888) 342-1854. Winnsboro is located at the intersection of SH 11 and SH 37, 23.4 miles southeast of Sulphur Springs. Winnsboro Texas Map; Click to Enlarge  Winnsboro Texas Area Map