Contact
 
 
County
Gaines
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 6,430
2000 Census - 5,910
Nearby
Towns
Seminole, Texas
null
Seminole Texas History:
In 1905, W. B. Austin opened the Caput post office in his store, which was located approximately one mile south of present day Seminole. When Gaines County was organized later that year, a group of New York investors donated land for the county seat. Seminole was platted and lots were sold in 1906. Area residents including Austin moved to the new town. By 1914, Seminole had general stores, a school, a church, a wooden courthouse, telephone service, a movie theater and 300 residents. In 1918, the Midland and Northwestern Railway began providing service, but the unprofitable line was discontinued in 1923. The development of Seminole oilfield and the Gaines County oil industry helped the town survive the worst effects of the Great Depression. Seminole incorporated in 1936. By 1940, Seminole had 1,761 residents and grew to 3,480 by 1950. Phillips Gasoline and the Columbia Carbon Company were important to the town’s economy in the 1950s. Today, Seminole is a commercial and marketing center for area farmers and ranchers and for the oil and gas industries. In early 2008 the town received a grant from the Rural and Community Affairs office and other organizations to provide wind power to desalinate groundwater for use as drinking water. Seminole is located in the oil rich Permian Basin 26 miles east of the New Mexico state line at the intersection of U.S. 385, U.S. 62, SH 214, and U.S. 180, 28.5 miles slightly northeast of Andrews, 30 miles east of Hobbs (New Mexico), 36.4 miles southeast of Plains, 21 miles southeast of Denver City, 109 miles south of Muleshoe, 81 miles southwest of Lubbock, 41 miles southwest of Brownfield, 18 miles southwest of Seagraves, 104 miles west of Snyder, 94 miles west of the J.B. Thomas Reservoir, 41 miles west of Lamesa, 72 miles northwest of Midland, and 63 miles northwest of Odessa, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Historic City of Seminole, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Founded and designated county seat in 1905, same year county was organized. Took name from Seminole wells, Indian watering places to south and west. First store and post office were established in 1905 by W. B. Austin of nearby Caput. The courthouse was built in 1906. Seminole grew slowly, being chiefly important as a trading center. Arrival of the Midland and Northwestern Railroad (1918) and development of highways and oil resources all helped seed the town's later expansion. Today it is a business center for farming and petroleum industry.” 
 
Gaines County AgriLife Extension Office:
The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension offices are responsible for 4-H and youth programs, agriculture and natural programs, family and consumer science, and community development. They also have hunting information. They manage head start, senior citizen, home economics, agriculture and other programs. If your tomatoes have blight, contact them. If you need to know something regarding a small town, contact them or the county judge’s office. (432) 758-4006. 101 South Main Street, Seminole, Texas 79360. Email   
 
Gaines County Courthouse, 1919:
The original courthouse was designed by architects Sanguinet & Staats. It was drastically remodeled in 1955 by the architectural firm of Styles, Robert, Gee & Messersmith. The 2010 Gaines County census was 17,526. (432) 758-5411. 101 South Main Street, Seminole, Texas 79360.
 
Gaines County Museum, Seminole Division:
The exhibits depict the history of Gaines County and Seminole. Exhibits include a collection of pre-Columbian artifacts, more than 3 dozen typewriters, a century old bank safe, the Leon Foote Barbed Wire collection, an exhibit featuring the 1923 murders in Seminole of two cattle inspectors, a Gaines County veterans room, a room decorated like an early 20th century house room, vintage clothing and quilts, ranching and farming tools, a chuckwagon and utensils, horse tack and saddles, vintage cameras and movie cameras, an early 1900s school room, and an exhibit featuring Norden Bombsight which during World War II was one of the United States’ most highly guarded secrets. The display includes information and photos of the bomb sight. Artist Kathy Davis’s painting of the Enola Gay, the B-29 bomber that dropped the bomb on Japan is on display. The Quanah Arrow from the Quanah Parker Trail is located on the grounds. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-12 noon; 1pm-5pm. Admission is free. (432) 758-4016. 700 Hobbs Highway. Email  
 
Gaines County Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. (432) 758-4007. 704 Hobbs Highway.