Contact
 
 
County
Medina
Region
Hill Country
Nearby
Parks
Landmark Inn State Historic Site
null
Landmark Inn State Historic Site Information:  
This 1849-1850s Inn is located on the Medina River in downtown Castroville, Texas. In 1849, Swiss merchant Cesar Monod built the first floor and operated the building as a store. The property was purchased in 1853 by John Vance, and his wife Rowena; they too operated it as a general store. In the 1870's the Vances constructed a second floor and operated the property as the Vance Hotel. The gristmill and other buildings were added by later owners. In the 1920's, owner J.T. Lawler converted the gristmill into an electricity producer which powered Castroville’s its first electric lights. The gristmill electric plant operated until 1935. In the 1940's, Lawler's sister Ruth restored the main building and named it the Landmark Inn. Today the Inn rents 10 guestrooms. The rooms are furnished with 19th century Texas furniture and accessories. They all have 1940s light fixtures; some rooms have ceiling fans. There are no telephones or televisions. Rooms 2 through 6 open off the upstairs balcony. Some rooms share a bath. Rowena's Loft is an attic area accommodating 6. It may be rented in conjunction with the rental of rooms 9 and 10. A self-guided walking tour of the historic buildings and the gristmill is available. A general store is located in the lobby. Historic exhibits are located off the lobby. A reception hall is open for daily visits and is available for private event rentals. A new indoor, air-conditioned pet kennel is available for guests wishing to bring their pets. Complimentary bicycles are available for touring historic Castroville, and lawn games, such as croquet and horseshoes are available. A stocked fishing pond is located onsite. The Inn hosts the annual Kids Fish event and other events. This historic site is not wheelchair accessible. For more information read the Landmark Inn State Historic Site Brochure. (830) 931-2133. 402 E. Florence Street, Castroville, Texas 78009.  Email  Fish Stocking History 
 
Medina River:
The Medina River’s north and west prongs originate from springs located in the Edwards Plateau in northwest Bandera County and converge near Medina, Texas to form the river proper. The river then flows southeast for 116 miles to its mouth on the San Antonio River in south Bexar County. The first European to view the river was Alonso De León, governor of Coahuila, who led his expedition across Texas in 1689 in pursuit of the French. De León noted in his diary that he named the stream for Pedro Medina, the early Spanish engineer whose navigation tables he was using in mapping his route through the wilderness. For a time the Medina River was considered the official boundary between Texas and Coahuila; maps showed the river flowing to the Gulf of Mexico, with the San Antonio River labeled as a tributary. Later the designations were reversed, and, along with Cibolo Creek, the Medina has been regarded as a tributary of the San Antonio River. Towns on or near the river include Castroville, Bandera, Mountain Valley, Natalia, Macdona, Riomedina, Somerset, and others.  Fish Stocking History 
 
Birding - Heart of Texas West Birding Trail:
Bandera Loop:  Medina, Bandera, Pipe Creek, Lakehills, Tarpley, Utopia, Vanderpool
Medina Loop:  Lakehills, Riomedina, Castroville
Texas Birds Checklist
Edwards Plateau Bird Checklist
Indian Blanket & Pioneer Spirit Ranch Bird Checklist, Uvalde
Lost Maples SNA Bird Checklist, Vanderpool
 
Landmark Inn State Historic Site Directions:
The Landmark Inn is located within the city limits of Castroville, at the corner of Florence Street and U.S. 90 (on the left), just south of the Medina River Bridge.