Contact
 
 
Counties
Hutchinson, Moore, Potter
Region
Panhandle Plains
Nearby
Parks
Lake Meredith National Recreation Area
null
Lake Meredith National Recreation Area:
The historic 1903 David and Abigail McBride Ranch House is located in McBride Canyon on the southeastern side of the lake. An environmental study area is located adjacent to the house. Park activities include hunting, fishing, boating, hiking, mountain biking, off-road vehicle use, horseback riding, camping, picnicking, nature study, bird watching, stargazing, and ranger led activities. The primary NRA activity is boating. Habitat consists of a variety of Shortgrass Prairie grasses. Wildlife includes mule deer, white-tailed deer, coyotes, mountain lion, bobcat, cottontail rabbits, muskrat, raccoon, least shrew, desert shrew, several species of bats, squirrels, beavers, wolves and foxes, black bear, bison, weasels, the Texas Horned Lizard (the state reptile of Texas), ornate box turtle, collared lizard, pronghorn antelope, Texas blind snake, prairie and western diamondback rattlesnakes, the common checkered whiptail lizard, and many others. Birds are plentiful. ADA compliant amenities and facilities and facilities include the headquarters building, publications and roadside exhibits for the hearing impaired and others, and tactile models and touchable exhibits for the blind. The NRA has no camping or park entrance fees. The NRA is managed by the National Park Service. The visitor center has maps and area guides, and sells books, snacks, souvenirs, gifts, and small necessities. The lake and NRA are located just west of Fritch, and 10 miles west of Borger, Texas. Lake Meredith National Recreation Area Facilities Map
 
Historic David Nichols McBride House, 1903:
David and Abigail McBride Moved to a site near the Canadian River in 1897 on a tract in the center of the LX Ranch which was owned by the American Pastoral Company of London. Their land tract consisted of
one section of “watered homestead,” and three sections of school land in the center of the LX Ranch. In 1901, after proving three years of land occupancy, McBride was issued a patent for the land tract. They built a frame house near what is now Bates Boat Ramp. In 1903 he built the stone ranch house out of Alibates Dolomite he quarried from the nearby canon rim. He built a kiln and mortared the stones with lime burned in the kiln. The wood he used came from old railroad timbers he salvaged from an old washed out bridge. The house had two rooms, a kitchen and a bedroom, and a chimney in the center. He also built an ice house, a corral, a bunkhouse, a storage area, and a one car garage. During his later years, David turned the ranch over to his son Amos, and returned to his Amarillo home. In the 1960s, the family sold the house to the Bureau of Reclamation and it became a part of the Lake Meredith NRA. The historic house is located in McBride Canyon on the southeastern side of the lake. An environmental study area is located adjacent to the house.
 
Canadian River:
The Canadian River, the largest tributary of the Arkansas River, rises near Raton Pass in Colorado and near the New Mexico border. It flows south and southeasterly separating the Llano Estacado in northeast New Mexico and northwest Texas from the northern High Plains. The river is approximately 760 miles long; approximately 190 miles of the river are located in Texas. The river enters Texas near the midpoint of the western boundary of Oldham County. It crosses the Texas Panhandle, flowing eastward and northeastward through Oldham, Potter, Moore, Hutchinson, Roberts, and Hemphill Counties. Particularly in its lower reaches in Oklahoma, the riverbed contains great amounts of quicksand; this and the deep gorge make the river difficult to bridge. The North Canadian River, a tributary of the Canadian, rises in New Mexico; it briefly passes through Texas before entering Oklahoma. The mouth of the Canadian River is located on the Arkansas River, 20 miles east of Canadian, Texas in Haskell County, Oklahoma. According to some sources, the river's name came from early explorers who thought that it flowed into Canada. Among the Canadian's principal tributaries in Texas are Big Blue, Tallahone, Red Deer, Pedarosa, Punta Agua, Amarillo, Tascosa, and White Deer Creeks. The Texas portion of the Canadian River is noted for its archeological sites where extensive remains of Pueblo Indian culture have been found. Large collections of artifacts and records from all of the WPA excavations and many other projects are on file at the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum in Canyon, Texas. Artifacts from W. C. Holden's early studies and F. E. Green's excavations at sites within the Lake Meredith area are located at Texas Tech University in Lubbock. Artifacts from other excavated sites at Lake Meredith are located at the Texas Archeological Research Laboratory, University of Texas at Austin. Small collections and notes from other surveys are on file at the National Park Service office in Fritch, Texas. The river is dammed to form Lake Meredith forty miles northeast of Amarillo, 10 miles west of Burges, and near Fritch, Texas.  Fish Stocking History 
 
Alibates Flint Quarries National Monument Information:
Archeological traces of prehistoric Indians'homes, workshops, and campsites dot the entire Canadian River region of the Texas Panhandle, but few sites are as dramatic as Alibates Flint Quarries. Actually an
Agatized or silicified dolomite, the flint is distinctive for its many bright colors. This flint comes from a 10-square-mile area around the monument, but most is concentrated on about 60 acres atop a mesa in the heart of the 1,000 acre monument. More than 700 quarries exist where this flint was dug out by hand. Today the quarries are usually round ovals approximately six or more feet in diameter with depressions in the center. Wind and rain have filled the once four to eight foot deep holes with soil. Visiting the flint quarries is by guided tours only. Park Ranger guided tours are available for school groups and individuals. These one mile tours last approximately 2 hours and are offered year round by reservation only. Tours are usually offered daily at 10am and 2pm, weather permitting. Bring drinking water and wear hiking shoes. The visitor center area features a bookstore, a seating area, an orientation film, indoor exhibits, a patio, a 10 minute hiking trail, and an interpretive garden. The park hosts the Junior Ranger program, and hosts flint-knapping demonstrations several times a month. The park staff has developed three traveling trunks which include a mammal trunk, an insect trunk and a water trunk. These trunks may be checked out by area schools located within 80 miles of the park. Park rangers will also visit schools. Volunteersare needed. The site is managed by the Lake Meredith National Recreation Area, and is located adjacent to the Lake Meredith NRA. From Fritch drive 10 miles south on SH 136. Go west on McBride Canyon/Alibates National Monument Road and drive to the Alibates Visitor Center.  Lake Meredith & Alibates Flint Quarries National Monument Map
 
Lake Meredith National Recreation Area Directions and Map:
From Amarillo take SH 136 north to Fritch. Go west on McBride Canyon/Alibates National Monument Road and drive just past the Alibates Visitor Center to the NRA entrance.