Contact
 
 
County
Briscoe
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 731
2000 Census - 771
Nearby
Towns
Silverton, Texas
null
Silverton Texas History:
In 1890, Thomas J. Braifoot established a land claim on a section of land. In 1991, he and others formed a town company and platted Silverton which was named by his wife. A school, three stores, a blacksmith shop and the Silverton post office were established that same year. In 1892, Silverton was elected county seat of the newly organized Briscoe County. Silverton became the trading center for area farmers and ranchers. The Fort Worth and Denver South Plains Railway arrived in 1928, the same year Silverton incorporated. Today, Silverton continues to be an agricultural and ranching center. The nearby lakes and hunting opportunities make it an ideal town for those who love outdoor activities. Nearby Lake Mackenzie features the best ATV track in the state. Silverton is located at the intersection of SH 256/86 and SH 207, 35 miles north of Floydada, 60 miles northeast of Hale Center, 48 miles northeast of Plainview, 59 miles slightly southeast of Dimmitt, 60 miles southeast of Canyon, 27 miles southeast of Tulia, 79 miles south of Amarillo, 52 miles south of Claude, 51.6 miles southwest of Clarendon, 16.8 miles northwest of Quitaque, and 62 miles north of Crosbyton, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Wayside Public School No 7, Wayside, TX:
When the town was founded in 1893 as a rural school district it was known as Beulah for the daughter of the family who donated the land for the school. With the post office was established in 1897, the postmistress changed the name to Wayside. The area’s first settlers were cowboys from the JA Ranch. Wayside became a supply point for the cowboys, and later for the farmers when irrigation made farming feasible. In 1940, Wayside had 40 residents. It had 100 by the late 1960s; it dropped to 40 by 2000. The county school district had one school covering approximately each 100 square miles. The Wayside School is named Wayside No. 7. What is interesting about this school is that it remains largely intact. It still has chalkboards, desks, the old chairs with a side mounted desk table, and a trophy case containing banners, signs proclaiming it the 1938 Interscholastic League champions, and boys and girls basketball trophies and ribbons. They playground is intact, including a functioning merry-go-round. The building is probably used as a community center. Indian relics dating from the fifteenth century have recently been found near Wayside. Wayside is located south and east of a bend in the Prairie Dog Fork of the Red River at the intersection of U.S. 87 and FM 211, 30 miles southeast of Canyon, approximately 40 miles northwest of Silverton, and approximately 35 miles northeast of Tulia, Texas. From Canyon take U.S. 27 South to FM 285; go east on FM 285. From Silverton take FM 207 North, and then go west on FM 285. Area Map  Wayside Map; Click to Enlarge  
 
Briscoe County AgriLife Extension Office:
The Texas A & M AgriLife Extension offices are responsible for 4-H and youth programs, agriculture and natural programs, family and consumer science, and community development. They also have hunting information. They manage head start, senior citizen, home economics, agriculture and other programs. If your tomatoes have blight, contact them. If you need to know something regarding a small town, contact them or the county judge’s office.(806) 823-2522. 415 Main Street, Silverton, TX 79257. Email  
 
Briscoe County Courthouse, 1922:
The courthouse was designed in Classical Revival style by the architectural firm of Smith & Towns of Amarillo. A 1954 renovation left it basically in its original form. The old Briscoe County Jail, monuments to Veterans of foreign wars including Iraq, and a restored windmill are located on the courthouse grounds. The 2010 Briscoe County census was 1,637. (806) 823-2131. 415 Main Street.   
 
Old Briscoe County Jail & Museum, 1892:
The jail is the oldest building in Briscoe County. Two cells complete with bedding, and the original doors are located on the second floor. The jail office is located on the first floor. Exhibits include gold panning equipment, barbed wire, vintage dresses, china, farm and ranching implements, and pioneer artifacts. The Briscoe County Attorney holds the keys to the Jail. To visit the jail during regular business hours, call the County Attorney’s office at (803) 823-2132. The jail is located on the northeast corner of the courthouse square in the 400 block of Main Street. Review  Photos   
  
Silverton Public Library:
Open Mon-Fri, 1pm-5pm. (806) 823-2339. 415 Main Street.
 
Annual Mackenzie Lake Bass Tournament, June:
This event is sponsored by the Tulia and Silverton Chambers of Commerce. (806) 995-2296. Email   
 
Annual Silverton Buck Wild Days Rodeo, May:
Events include a Saturday celebration at the courthouse, live music, a PRCA rodeo, and dances on Friday and Saturday nights. (806) 292-8221. The rodeo is held at the Wood Memorial Arena at 701 Broadway Street.
 
Something Different by Kay:
The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner from 6am-9pm Monday-Saturday, and for Brunch on Sundays from 11am-2pm. Menu items include comfort foods, such as eggs, pancakes, French toast, biscuits and gravy, breakfast burritos, hamburgers and cheeseburgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese sandwiches, ham and cheese sandwiches, Club sandwiches, BLTs, Mexican food, rib eye steaks, salads, several sides, and desserts. This cozy restaurant features wooden walls and floors, and a fireplace. (806) 823-2063. 706 Lonestar Street (the main street), Silverton, TX 79257. The restaurant is located near the intersection of Lonestar and SHs 207/86. Reviews
 
Cynthia's Malt Shop Cafe:
The restaurant is located in a 1950s style drive in building and features a 1950s décor inside. They serve a variety of comfort foods. Menu items include club, turkey bacon ranch, chicken salad, toasted ham and cheese, ham or turkey melt, BLTs, and grilled cheese sandwiches, chicken fried steak or chicken, hamburger steaks, steak fingers and chicken strips with gravy, grilled chicken breasts, salads, several sides including homemade onion rings, hamburgers, Mexican food, and more. (806) 823-2101. 500 Lonestar Street. Located near the intersection of Lonestar and SH 207/86.