Contact
 
 
County
Bell
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 2,126
2000 Census - 3,475
Nearby
Towns
Salado, Texas
null
Salado Texas History:
Salado was originally settled by Paleo-Indian Tribes, and later by Tawakoni Indians. The Indians were attracted to the springs of Salado Creek which at that time produced a five foot fountain of water. The first Anglo settler was Archibald Willingham who arrived in 1850. The settlement that developed was known as Salado Springs, and became a well-known Overland Stage and Pony Express stop on the Chisholm Trail. A stone wall was erected around the springs to keep the cattle out because the springs were the town’s water source. The post office was established in 1852. In 1859, Colonel Elijah Robertson donated land for a college and the Salado townsite. One of the school's first students went on to become the first female governor of Texas, Miriam Amanda Wallace "Ma" Ferguson. The town became an educational, industrial and agricultural center. By 1884, Salado had the first grange organized in Texas, 7 churches, 14 stores, 2 hotels, 2 blacksmiths, and 3 cotton gins. The railroads bypassed Salado to the east, causing a steady decline in population. In 1882 Salado had 900 residents. By 1914 it had approximately 400. Since that time, Salado has grown slowly and has become a popular Texas tourist town well known for its art galleries, antique shops, arts and crafts, fine inns, and great restaurants. It incorporated in 2003. Salado is located on Salado Creek at the intersections of IH-35, FM 2484 and FM 2268, 29 miles southeast of Fort Hood, 17 miles southwest of Temple, 9 miles southwest of Belton, 40.6 miles northwest of Taylor, 22 miles northwest of Granger, 51 miles northeast of Austin, 32.8 miles northeast of Round Rock, and 23.6 miles northeast of Georgetown, Texas. 
 
Historic Dodd's Creek Bridge, 1889:
This 87 foot lenticular truss bridge features a curved top and bottom chord which forms a lens shape.
The patent was issued to William O. Douglas of Connecticut in 1878, and was the only patent given for a lenticular truss bridge. Most of these bridges were built in the New England area. At least a dozen of these bridges were constructed in Texas in the late 1800s. The Coryell County Commissioners Court contracted with the Berlin Iron Bridge Company to build four lenticular truss bridges for $16,500 in 1889. There are only eight of these lenticular truss bridges surviving in Texas. Four of them are located in San Antonio, and the other four are located on out of service roadways. The Dodd’s Creek Bridge originally was located across Cowhouse Creek, and was later was moved to Dodd's Creek. It was relocated to this site in 1997 for use as a pedestrian bridge in the Salado historic district. A Troll and a goat statue are located at the south end of the bridge. The bridge is located at 110 North Main Street.
 
Historic Salado Springs, Creek & Bridges:
The springs which feed the creek emerge from the Balcones Fault, a geologic line running north south through Central and South Texas. This spring-fed creek powered 9 mills along 8 miles on the creek from the 1860's to the 1880's. During this time, thousands of cattle were driven north along this branch of the Chisholm Trail to the railheads in Kansas. The first bridge was built across the creek in 1868-1869. The second bridge was built by the King Bridge Company in 1892; it was destroyed in the 1913 flood. A third bridge was destroyed in the 1921 flood. The current 1922 bridge was anchored with reinforced steel set into the rock creek bed enabling it to survive floods.
 
Historic Salado College Ruins, 1859:
The college was located on a hill overlooking Main Street. Today only a few rock walls and a bronze statue of Col. E.S.C. Robertson mark the spot. Robertson donated the land for the school in 1859. The ruins are located behind the Stagecoach Inn, east of IH-35.  
 
Historic Log Cabins and Old Red Brick School:
The 1850s Boles Akin cabin was probably used for a stage stop, a school, a home and a Post Office. The one room 1867 Denman cabin was originally built about 1867 at Sparta on Cowhouse Creek, a branch of the Leon River. The cabins are located on a 4.5 acre site that was given to the Salado community for a school in 1924 by the widow of W.K. Hamblen. The old red brick Salado school building, now the Salado Civic Center, served the families of Salado from 1924 to 1979 when the new high school opened on Thomas Arnold Road. A gazebo and the Hamblen-Aiken family cemetery are also located on the property. The cabins and cemetery are located behind the civic center. (254) 947-8300. Email 
 
Central Texas Area Museum:
The museum is located in the 1860s Stagecoach Inn. The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Salado and the Central Texas area, and contains a library containing books and documents relating to the area. The museum hosts genealogical workshops, a fine arts exhibit, the Readers and Writers Roundtable, and the annual Salado Scottish Clan Gathering and Highland Games. Open Tue-Fri, 12 noon-5pm; Sat, 10am-5pm. (254) 947-5232. The museum is located at 423 S. Main Street behind the Stagecoach Inn (East of IH-35). Email
 
Salado Community Chorus:
The chorus practices at the Salado Civic Center on Tuesdays at 6pm. P.O. Box 448, Salado 76571. The Civic Center Grounds are located on Main Street, 4 blocks north of the museum.
 
Salado Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 10am-6pm; Sat, 10am-5pm; closed Sunday. (254) 947-9191. 1151 N. Main Street.