Contact
 
 
County
Sutton
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 3,027
2000 Census - 2,924
Nearby
Towns
Sonora, Texas
null
Sonora Texas History:
In approximately 1885, rancher Charles G. (Charlie) Adams settled on four sections of land two miles north of Winkler's Well, and named the new settlement Sonora after Sonora, Mexico. In 1887, he drilled a well, established a post office, and offered free lots. When Sonora became the Sutton County seat in 1890, it had three stores, two hotels, two livery stables, a newspaper, a school, 18 houses and 14 tents. By 1892, the ranching community had 700 residents. R. W. Callahan donated land for the courthouse, which was completed in 1893. Until automobiles came into being and good roads were constructed, supplies from San Angelo and Fort McKavett were hauled by wagon, a trip that took six to fifteen days. Sonora did not receive train service until 1930. The town incorporated in 1917. In 1916, the city and Texas A & M University established the Texas Agricultural Experiment Station on five sections of land outside the city limit. This facility researches livestock diseases and methods to improve livestock production. Today the economy is still based on livestock ranching. When wool prices dropped during the Great Depression, goat raisers established the Sonora Wool and Mohair Cooperative Marketing Association which successfully increased wool sales, thus helping to stabilize wool prices. Sonora is a Texas Main Street City and is located on the Devil’s River at the intersection of U.S. 277, and IH-10 (Business Loop 467), 66 miles southwest of San Angelo, 46.7 miles southwest of Christoval, 21.5 miles southwest of Eldorado, 72 miles southwest of Menard, 57 miles slightly northwest of Junction, 55 miles northwest of Rock Springs, 90 miles northeast of Del Rio, and 35.8 miles southeast of Ozona, Texas. 
 
Historic Main Street:
This historic street runs from the courthouse to Crockett Avenue. The street features restaurants, shops and other businesses housed in historic buildings. The gardens of Bank Vault Park are located off Main Street. The “Friends of Historic Sonora” are committed to the historic preservation of Sonora. They have developed a walking tour for historic and nature attractions, and are active in organizing special events. (325) 387-2248. 105 North Concho Avenue.
 
Sutton County Courthouse, 1891:
The limestone courthouse was designed by architect Oscar Ruffini in 2nd Empire Style. It is located on a hill overlooking town, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Oscar also designed the Crockett County Courthouse in Ozona. Oscar’s brother, F.E. Ruffini designed the Concho County Courthouse in Paint Rock, Texas. While the courthouse was undergoing a renovation, contractors uncovered a gold-stenciled border believed to have once lined the courthouse’s rooms and halls. Using the uncovered border and a collection of old photos as a guide, conservators meticulously hand-stenciled and painted Victorian-style motifs in gold and copper. The borders beautifully accent the courthouse’s sage green walls and pine floors, wooden railings and furnishings in the upstairs courtroom. The 2010 Sutton County census was 4,128. (325) 387-2711. 300 East Oak Street, Sonora, TX 76950. 
 
Sutton County Jail, 1891:
The native stone jail was built by the Pauly Jail Building and Manufacturing Company of Saint Louis. Although the jail’s four upstairs cells offered the latest in plumbing fixtures, Sonora’s water pressure wasn’t strong enough to get water up to them until 1895, when the waterworks were moved from the square to a nearby hilltop. The jail housed prisoners until 1980. It now houses a museum. The jail is located on the courthouse square.
 
Santa Fe Depot, 1930, and Amphitheater:
The John & Mildred Cauthorn Memorial Depot is now a community meeting venue.
 
Old Sonora School, 1904:
The school was used until 1950. During the early 2000s the school and its wood floors and trim were restored. Today it houses prekindergarten and third grade students, and computer labs.
 
Veterans From All Wars & Pioneer Ranch Women Museum:
Open Mon-Fri, 10am-4pm and by appointment. (325) 387-2248. 105 South Concho Avenue, Sonora, Texas 76950.
 
Old Sonora Ice House Ranch Museum:
This museum and gift shop features old ranching and pioneer exhibits, and a Will Carver exhibit. The museum is located in the old Sutton County Jail just at 202 Water Avenue. Chamber of Commerce: (325) 387-5084.  
 
Miers House Museum, 1889:
This house was built by Civil War veteran Isaac Miers. This historic house features period pieces and exhibits. (325) 387-2880. 307 Oak Street 
 
Sutton County Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 10am-4pm. (325) 387-2111. 306 East Mulberry Street.
 
Annual Sonora Outlaw Pro Rodeo and Sutton County Days, June: 
Activities include Friday and Saturday night dances, a rodeo, a parade, arts and crafts fair, food vendors, children’s rides and games, and more. (325) 387-2880. (888) 387-2880.  
 
Annual West Texas Championship Cook-Off, 1st Weekend in June:
(325) 387-2880. (888) 387-2880.
 
Mercantile on Main (Gigi’s Deli):
The restaurant has a Veterans of All Wars exhibit. The food is delicious and is the best food in the area. It is open for lunch, 11am-2pm. (325) 387-3753. 232 East Main Street. Reviews
 
Sutton County Steakhouse:
The front dining room walls are decorated with vintage photos, and pages from a 1920 Sonora phone book. The restaurant is known for its delicious chicken fried steak and onion rings. (325) 387-3833. 1306 North Service Road. Reviews 
 
La Mexicana Restaurant:
Only the first basket of chips is free. (325) 387-3401. 240 North U.S. 277. Reviews