Contact
 
 
County
Brazoria
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 91,252
2000 Census - 37,640
Nearby
Towns
Pearland, Texas
null
Pearland Texas History:
In 1882, the community of Mark Belt became a siding switch on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway. When the post office was established in 1893, the town was renamed Pearland after the town’s abundance of pear trees. County Witold von Zychlinski filed the original town plat in September, 1894. In 1898, Pearland had two general stores, a grocer, two lumber companies, two hotels, a newspaper, real estate agent, a hardware store, a blacksmith, a carpenter, and a wagon maker. Pearland was promoted by the Christensen Land Corporation Allison-Richey Suburban Garden Company as an "agricultural Eden." The fruit trees were destroyed in the Galveston hurricane of 1900. Planting of oranges and figs revived local agriculture until the 1918 freeze. Oil was discovered nearby in 1934. From this time until the 1950s the population fluctuated between 150 and 350. The steady growth since that time was the result of the town’s proximity to Houston. Pearland is located south of the Sam Houston Tollway on SH 35, 17 miles southeast of Houston, 28.8 southwest of La Porte, 39 miles northwest of Galveston, 50 miles north of surfside beach, 10 miles northwest of Alvin, 44 miles northeast of Lake Jackson, and 37 miles northeast of Angleton, Texas.  
 
Pearland Historical Society & Historic Depot:
This society seeks to preserve and restore the history, and historical buildings and areas of Pearland. The society is housed in the historic Pearland Train Station and Depot. P.O. Box 1333, Pearland, TX 77588.  Email