Contact
 
 
County
Hansford
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 3,368
2000 Census - 3,021
Nearby
Towns
Spearman, Texas
null
Spearman Texas History:
Spearman was platted in May 1917 and a post office was opened in anticipation of construction of the North Texas and Santa Fe Railway. The town was named for Thomas E. Spearman, a vice president of the railroad. The town thrived even though the railroad’s arrival was delayed until 1919 by World War I. Before the railroad’s arrival, residents had moved to the town from neighboring communities and established several churches and businesses. Spearman incorporated in 1921. After suffering disastrous fires in 1922 and 1924, the town built more durable buildings, brick streets and a water works. In 1931, the rail line was extended from Spearman to Morse and south. In 1929, Spearman defeated Hansford in an election to become Hansford County seat. The generosity of local businessmen helped Spearman residents weather the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl. Many of the town’s vacant lots were planted in wheat. Bumper wheat crops during World War II and the nearby discovery of oil and gas helped the town grow. Agriculture and ranching are among the town’s top industries. Many grain elevators are located in the area. The land between Spearman and Panhandle, Texas is dotted with pump jacks. Like many Texas Panhandle towns, Spearman is equipped to handle snow. The town is known as “The Windmill Town.” Spearman is located approximately 27 miles south of the Oklahoma border at the intersection of SH 207 and SH 15, 53 miles southeast of Stratford, 26 miles southwest of Perryton, 71 miles west of Lipscomb, 70 miles northwest of Canadian, 64 miles northwest of Miami, 30.6 miles northeast of Stinnett, and 85 miles northeast of Dalhart, Texas. 
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Historic Battle of Adobe Walls:
Adobe Walls, now a ghost town, was established just north of the Canadian River in 1843 as a trading post for buffalo hunters and for Indian trading. In 1845, an Adobe fort was built to house the trading post. Three years later, after repeated Indian attacks, the traders blew up the fort. The site later became a ranching community. The First Battle of Adobe Walls occurred on November 26, 1864 in the vicinity of the town and the ruins of William Bent’s abandoned adobe trading post. This battle was one of the largest ever fought between the United States Army (led by Kit Carson) and Native Americans. The Kiowa, Comanche and Plains Apache tribes initially drove the U.S. Army forces from the battlefield, but the Army staged a successful counterattack resulting in light casualties on both sides. By June 1874, ten years after the first battle, traders had established two stores near the ruins of the old trading post in an effort to rekindle the town of Adobe Walls. The complex quickly grew to include two stores, a corral, a restaurant, and a blacksmith shop. It served 200 to 300 area buffalo hunters. Approximately 28 people were located at Adobe Walls including William “Billy” Dixon whose famous long distance rifle shot ended the siege at the 2nd Battle of Adobe Walls. The Comanche, Cheyenne, Kiowa, and Arapaho Indians perceived the settlement and buffalo hunting as a threat to their existence. By late June, Indian problems had developed, and a few hunters had been killed by Indians. That spring, the Indians held a sun dance. Comanche medicine man Isa-tai promised victory and immunity from bullets to warriors who took the fight to the enemy. At dawn on June 27, 1874, about seven hundred Indians under the leadership of Quanah Parker and Isa-tai attacked the post. The battle was highlighted on the second day by the legendary shot of William "Billy" Dixon, who killed an Indian on a faraway hill using a Sharps buffalo rifle. Despite being outnumbered, the hunters repelled the Comanche assault. After a four-day siege, reinforcements arrived, increasing the garrison to approximately 100 men. The Comanches retired soon afterward. The Hutchinson County Historical Museum in Borger features an exhibit detailing Adobe Walls. The Adobe Walls monument and markers are located northeast of Stinnett and southwest of Spearman. From Stinnett travel 12 miles north on SH 207. Turn east onto the blacktop road at the Adobe Walls sign on the east side of the road. The road will turn south and turn to gravel. Stay on the mail road until you reach a wide valley containing the monuments. You will travel 15.7 miles on the blacktop and gravel road.
 
Hansford County Courthouse, 1931:
The brick courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance style by architect David S. Castle of the architectural firm Townes, Lightfoot and Funk. When the courthouse was built, the top floor housed a spacious sheriff's quarters and a dormitory for sequestered juries. The dormitory is now the commissioner's courtroom and the sheriff has since vacated, but the rooms still retain much of their original appearance. The 2010 Hansford County census was 5,613. (806) 659-4100. 16 Northwest Court Street,Spearman, Texas 79081. Email         
 
J.B. Buchanan's Vintage Windmill Collection:
This fabulous world class windmill collection was collected by J.B. Buchanan. They were located on his property until he moved them to Windmill Park, a 5 acre site located at the entrance to Spearman on SH 207 West. Local businessmen donated the land. The windmills include Curries, Samsons, Umbrellas, Eclipses and Challenges. Two of the windmills, a Standard and an Eclipse, reside permanently in the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C. A Samson windmill from the collection is located at The Big Texan Steak ranch in Amarillo, Texas. At least 20 local businesses have windmills located on their properties. Two windmills are located near the John Deere dealership, and another is located at the Nursanickel Motel. (806) 659-5555. 
 
Stationmaster’s House Museum:
The museum is located in the Santa Fe Railroad’s 1920 stationmaster cottage. Its four rooms are devoted to museum displays. The 1965 Santa Fe Railroad caboose was purchased in 1989. The Aermotor Windmill is part of the world famous J.B. Buchanan Windmill Collection. Khaliga, the wood Indian located in the front yard, was carved from a dead elm tree by a chain saw artist. In 1875, Robert and James Cator built the first building located north of the Canadian River. This building served as a depot, trading post, and post office on the Ft. Dodge to Fort Bascom Military Road. A replica of this first Zulu, Texas building is located on the museum grounds. The tiny one room Palo Duro School is also located on the grounds. Open Tue-Sun, 1pm-5pm and by appointment. Admission is free. (806) 659-3008. 30 Townsend Street.
 
Bunkhouse Restaurant:
(806) 659-2089. 212 Main Street.