Praries & Lakes
2010 Census - 15,816
2000 Census - 13,606
Terrell, Texas
Terrell Texas History:
One of the earliest settlers was George Paschall who settled in the area in 1848. When the Texas and Pacific Railway crossed North Texas in 1873, C.C. Nash and John G. Moore purchased 320 acres in the J. W. Cude survey and platted the townsite. The Terrell post office was established in 1873, and named after early settler Robert A. Terrell. The town incorporated in 1875. By the mid-1880s, Terrell had two banks, two hotels, three flour mills, three cotton gins, a school, churches, three weekly newspapers and 3,000 residents. The town became a shipping point for cattle, cotton and timber. In 1892, Edward Howland Robinson Green chose Terrell as the headquarters for the Texas Midland Railroad. The World War II British Flying School is now the Terrell Airport. The 1897 Toon College eventually became Wesley College and moved to Greenville in 1912. The site of the 1914 Texas Military College was purchased by Southwestern Christian College in 1950. Terrell is located at the intersections of IH-20, U.S. 80, SH 34, FM 429 and FM 986, 54 miles northwest of Athens, 38 miles northwest of Gun Barrel City and the Cedar Creek Reservoir, 33 miles northwest of Mabank, 29.7 miles northwest of Canton, 16 miles northwest of Wills Point, 40 miles southwest of Emory and Lake Fork, 21 miles southwest of West Tawakoni and Lake Tawakoni, 16 miles southwest of Quinlan, 32 miles southwest of Greenville, 55 miles southeast of McKinney, 30 miles southwest of Wiley and Lavon Lake, 30 miles southeast of Dallas, 21 miles southeast of Mesquite, 16 miles southeast of Lake Ray Hubbard, 11.7 miles southeast of Forney, 38.8 miles northeast of Ennis, and 12 miles northeast of Kaufman, Texas.  
Terrell Veterans Memorial Park:
This park was dedicated in May, 2011. Benches are located on the walkway and around the outside circle. Pavers may be placed on the edge of the walkway leading to the flagpole, inside and outside the star, and around the circle walkway. The park is located adjacent to the Terrell Chamber of Commerce at 1314 West Moore Avenue. Facebook  
Downtown Terrell Historic District & Buildings:
Historic buildings house a variety of shops, restaurants, and art galleries. The historic Carnegie Library, now the Terrell’s public library, is located downtown, as is the restored Brin Opera House. Tours are offered by “Miss Emily Terrell and Col. E.H.R. Green” of the Terrell Heritage Society. Dressed in period costume, they lead visitors on an extended shuttle bus tour of sites in the Historical District. Reservations are required. They also host an annual Christmas tour the first Saturday in December. A “Christmas Victorian Tea” and stops at two historic homes are included in the tour. (972) 524-6082.