Praries & Lakes
2010 Census - 25,175
2000 Census - 22,011
Seguin, Texas
Seguin Texas History:
In 1718, Martin de Alarcon, governor of the Province of Texas, explored the Seguin area while founding the San Antonio de Bexar Presidio and the San Antonio de Valero Mission. Early Spanish, Mexican and Anglo settlements developed in the area. By 1833, there were 40 land titles in the area. One of the most famous early settlers was Jose Antonio Navarro, friend to Stephen F. Austin, and one of three Mexican signers of theTexas Declaration of Independence. In 1833, Umphries Branch, the first Anglo settler in what is now Seguin, received a league of land on the northeast bank of the Guadalupe River where he built a cabin. On August 12, 1838, Joseph S. Martin and 33 Gonzales Rangers platted a townsite near Walnut Branch (Creek). They named the townsite Walnut Springs after the springs that feed the Guadalupe River. In 1839, the townsite was renamed Seguin after Juan N. Seguin, a Tejano patriot and native Texan. In 1846, Seguin was designated the county seat of the newly organized Guadalupe County. The Seguin post office was established that same year. Seguin incorporated in 1853. Beginning in the 1850s, Seguin was a center of experimentation with using concrete as a building material. By 1900, Seguin had approximately 90 limecrete structures. Fewer than 20 remain today. The first schoolhouse was built in 1850 by John E. Park, inventor of Park’s concrete. In 1962, the school was recognized as the oldest continuously used school building in Texas. Seguin was on the trail used by Germans immigrating to the Texas Hill Country. The Germans improved farming methods and trade. By the 1860s, farmers were raising cattle and hogs, and growing cotton, corn and peanuts.Today growing pecans is a major industry producing up to 3 million pounds a year. In the late 1920s, oil was discovered in the Darst Creek fields located 15 miles east of town. Seguin’s proximity to the Guadalupe and San Marcos Rivers, Cibolo and Geronimo Creeks, and several lakes makes the town a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts. Five Guadalupe River dams are located within six miles of town. Seguin is located on the Guadalupe River at the intersections of U.S. 90, IH-10, SH 123 and SH 46, 36.4 miles northeast of San Antonio, 33 miles northwest of Gonzales, 36 miles southwest of Lockhart, 22 miles southwest of Luling, 28.7 miles southwest of Ottine and the Palmetto State Park, 72 miles southwest of Bastrop, 52 miles southwest of Austin, 22 miles south of San Marcos, 6.5 miles south of Geronimo, 31.6 miles southeast of Canyon Lake and Startzville, and 16 miles southeast of New Braunfels, Texas.
Seguin Main Street Program, Information and Directions:
The historic downtown is a Texas Main Street City. Historic buildings include Starcke Furniture, a family owned business that has been in operation for more than 90 years. The bank was designed by famed courthouse architect, J. Riely Gordon. The Plaza Hotel was designed by architect Leo M.J. Dielmann, designer of several of the famous Czech Painted Churches. The art deco city hall and courthouse are also located in this area. The area also features museums, antique shops, restaurants, and pubs/bars, and live music venues. 
Guadalupe County Courthouse, 1935:
This limestone courthouse was designed in modern style by L.M. Wirtz. Located in front of the courthouse are a Veterans Memorial, and the “World’s Largest Pecan” honoring a major local industry. 101 East Court Street. The 2010 Guadalupe County census was 131,533. The county marker is located at the intersection of U.S. 90 and U.S. 90A on the west side of Seguin. (830) 303-8857. 211 West Court Street.