Contact
 
 
County
Denton
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 5,962
2000 Census - 2,810
Nearby
Towns
Roanoke, Texas
null
Roanoke Texas History:
The Roanoke area was first settled in 1847 when twenty families from Missouri settled on the Travis Wright land grant near the confluence of Denton and Henrietta Creeks. They called their settlement Medlin Center. Because of flooding problems, the community moved one mile south of the original settlement in 1849, and was renamed Garden Center or Garden Valley. When the Texas and Pacific built a line through the area a few miles from Garden Center in 1881, the towns businesses and residents moved to the rail line and established a new settlement they named Rawranoke or Roanoke for Roanoke, Virginia. Residents of the nearby community of Elizabeth moved to the new town, bringing their post office with them. By 1890, Roanoke had four churches, a school, a cotton gin, a dry-goods store, several grocery stores, a saloon, a hotel, physicians, a barber, a shoemaker, a livery stable and approximately 350 residents. Roanoke incorporated in 1940 when it had 485 residents. Although commonly referred to as the Old Rock Hotel, 1886 Rock Building originally served as a saloon, dance hall, a pool hall and then primarily a restaurant over the years until it was abandoned in deteriorating condition in the 1980’s; it was later restored. Since the 1980s, the town’s growth has benefited from its proximity to Dallas and Fort Worth. Roanoke is located at the intersections of U.S. 377, SH 170 and SH 114, 29 miles southwest of Sanger and Ray Roberts Lake, 16.6 miles southwest of Denton, 22 miles southwest of Lewisville and Lake Lewisville, 23 miles southwest of Flower Mound, 34.3 miles northwest of Dallas, 26 miles northwest of Arlington and Lake Arlington, 10.7 miles northwest of Grapevine, 8 miles northwest of Trophy Club and Lake Grapevine, 26.7 miles northeast of Fort Worth and Lake Worth, 34 miles northeast of Azle and Eagle Mountain Lake, 5.4 miles northeast of Keller, 37 miles southeast of Bridgeport and Lake Bridgeport, and 31 miles southeast of the LBJ National Grasslands and Decatur, Texas.
 
Historic Litsey Road Henrietta Creek Bridge, 1904:
This iron bridge was built by the George King Bridge Company on Litsey Road over Henrietta Creek. In April 2008, the Roanoke City Council considered a resolution to renovate and relocated this historic bridge. The bridge is now closed due to structural problems.   
 
Roanoke Visitor Center and Museum:
The Visitor Center and Museum are housed in a renovated 1886 rock building that formerly housed the Silver Spur Saloon and a brothel; the building is commonly known as the Rock Hotel. A secret entrance from the adjacent bank allowed patrons to enter the brothel undetected; the bricked in doorway still remains. The building and the downtown district are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The museum displays exhibits depicting the history of Roanoke. The building is also used for public events. Open Mon-Fri, 10am-6pm; Sat, noon-8pm.; closed Sundays. (817) 491-6090. 114 N. Oak Street.
 
Roanoke Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu, 10am-9pm; Fri-Sat, 10am-6pm; closed Sundays.(817) 491-2691. 308 S. Walnut Street. Email