Contact
 
 
County
Bell
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 66,102
2000 Census - 54,514
Nearby
Towns
Temple, Texas
null
Temple Texas History:
In 1880, the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway established the Temple Junction construction camp on a 187 acre tract it purchased from Jonathan E. Moore. Locals referred to the camp as Tanglefoot or Mud Town. The Temple post office was established in 1881. The railroad sold town lots in June, 1881. In 1882, the Missouri, Kansas and Texas built a line through Temple and the Santa Fe made Temple a division point and established railroad shops and added several hundred employees. Temple incorporated that same year. In 1904, By 1900, Temple had 7,065 residents. Arthur Carroll Scott established Scott and White Memorial Hospital making the town one of the leading medical centers in the southwest. The non-profit hospital is still operating today. Between 1905 and 1923, an electric interurban railway operated between Temple and Belton.A Coca-Cola bottling plant was established in 1925. The Temple Junior College opened in 1926. In 1942, a veteran’s hospital opened in Temple, making the town a popular retirement community for veterans. Today manufacturing is important to the town’s economy with area businesses producing furniture, shoes, insulation, cottonseed products, electronic products, plastics, clothing, optical supplies, woodwork, and livestock and poultry feed. Temple is located at the intersections of IH-35, SH 53, U.S. 190/SH 36 and FM 317, 36 miles southeast of Gatesville, 28 miles slightly southeast of McGregor, 21.3miles southeast of Moody, 36 miles southwest of Waco, 21.6 miles southwest of Lorena, 31 miles northwest of Cameron, 39 miles north of Taylor, 28.6 miles north of Granger, 68 miles northeast of Austin, 49.6 miles northeast of Round Rock, 40 miles northeast of Georgetown, 16.8 miles northeast of Salado, 8.7 miles northeast of Belton, 21 miles slightly northeast of Harker Heights, 54.8 miles east of Lampasas, 25 miles east of Killeen, and 36.4 miles slightly southeast of Copperas Cove, Texas.
 
"The Grove," Texas History, 1859-1972:
The town was established in 1859 and named for a grove of oak trees. It was initially named Morrison Grove. The Grove post office opened in 1874. In the mid-1880s, the town had three general stores, a mill and a cotton gin, four churches including a Wend Lutheran church, and 150 residents. The town shipped cotton, grains and hides. In 1900, the town was one of the most prosperous in the county. After being bypassed by SH 36 in the 1940s, the town began to decline. Some area farmers were forced to relocate when Fort Hood was established in the early 1940s, and when Belton Dam was built in 1953. The last business closed in the early 1970s. The Grove is located just south of SH 36 at the intersection of CR 356 and FM 1114, 16 miles southeast of Gatesville, 18 miles southwest of McGregor, 9 miles southwest of Moody, and 16 miles northwest of Temple and Belton, Texas. "The Grove," Texas Map  "The Grove" Texas Area Map 
 
"The Grove," Texas, 2012:
In 1972, The Grove owners W.J. and Martha Dube sold the town to antique dealer Moody Anderson. The sale included the old general store, post office, saloon, sheriff’s office, blacksmith shop and the working water well. Anderson restored the town and filled the buildings with antiques. The general store is filled from the floor to the tin pressed ceiling with antique farm implements, lanterns, patent medicines and other artifacts. Moody rented the contents for use as props in movies. Items from The Grove were used in the movies “Lonesome Dove” and the “Alamo.” In 2010, the then 82 year old Anderson sold the store to Fran Moyer, the granddaughter of W.J. and Martha Dube. When Anderson owned the town it became a spontaneous live music venue attracting over 400 visitors each weekend. Bands played on the front porch. Visitors danced on a paved dance floor and spent time at the Cocklebur Saloon where they were invited to BYOB. Activities were free but donations were accepted.