Contact
 
 
County
McCulloch
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 5,528
2000 Census - 5,523
Nearby
Towns
Brady, Texas
null
Brady Texas History:
In the 1870s, a community named Brady City was established along Brady Creek. It was renamed Brady when it incorporated in 1906. The first settlers, Henry and Nancy Fulcher, donated land for the townsite. In 1875, Brady was elected county seat of the newly formed McCullough County. The Brady City post office was established the next year. The county courthouse was constructed in 1878 when Brady had more than 50 residents. The town began to grow more rapidly after it became county seat. By 1884, the town had three stores, two hotels and 300 residents. Up until the late 1880s, cattle ranching was the area’s main industry. During the 1890s it was joined by poultry, sheep goats, cotton, and pecans. The Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railway built a line through Brady in 1903, turning the town into a commercial and shipping point for area ranches and farms. The Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway arrived in 1912. When the 42 acre Richards Park was established in 1926, the town held a large two day barbeque. This event has morphed into the July Jubilee which is celebrated annually on the 4th of July weekend. During World War II, Curtis Field, a pilot training school, was established north of town. A German prisoner-of-war camp was also established three miles east of town. In 1963, the Brady Reservoir was completed, providing the town with a water source and a recreation area. Brady continues to be a farming and ranching community, and like Menard, Mason, San Saba, Llano and other area towns, Brady is an extremely popular hunting area. Brady has the distinction of being located at the geographic center of Texas at the intersections of U.S. 377, U.S. 283, U.S. 190, U.S. 87, FM 2028, and FM 2915, 53 miles southeast of Paint Rock and the O.H. Ivie Reservoir, 32 miles southeast of Eden, 53 miles south of Coleman, 46 miles southwest of Brownwood, 42 miles southwest of San Saba, 53 miles northwest of Llano, 22 miles northwest of Fredonia, 29 miles northwest of Mason, 45 miles north of Santa Anna, 55 miles northeast of Fort McKavett, and 34 miles northeast of Menard, Texas.