Contact
 
 
County
Orange
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 18,595
2000 Census - 18,643
Nearby
Towns
Orange, Texas
null
Orange Texas History:
The first recorded settlers were John and Elizabeth Harmon who arrived in 1828 with their three children.
When Sabine River boatman Rensin (Reason) Green settled in the area prior to 1830, the area became known as Green’s Bluff. In 1840 it was renamed Madison in honor of President James Madison. The Madison post office was established in 1850. In 1852 Madison became the county seat of newly established Orange County. When Madison incorporated in in 1858 it was renamed Orange after George Patillo’s orange grove. In the 1840s steam sawmills were established and over time the town’s 17 sawmills made Orange a center for the lumber and shipbuilding industries. From the 1840s to the 1890s steamboats shipped cotton, lumber and other goods from Orange. During this time successful businessmen built expensive mansions. The Texas and New Orleans Railroad reached the community in 1860, but the track was destroyed during the Civil War and was not rebuilt until 1876. During the 1890s railroads replaced steamboats as the major method of transporting of goods. By 1914, Orange was shipping cotton, livestock, rice and paper products; shipping, shipbuilding and lumber activities were its chief industries. In 1916, Orange became a deep water port. During the roaring 1920s Orange became a center for speakeasies, gambling, and bootlegging. In 1938 the local ferries were replaced with the SH 87 Rainbow Bridge which connected Orange to Port Arthur, Texas. After the 1950s Beaumont, Port Arthur, and Orange became known as the “Golden Triangle Area.” Today Orange is an important port, and is an industrial area featuring shipbuilding and petrochemical industries. Orange is located on the Sabine River and Adams Bayou at the intersection of U.S. 90, IH-10 and SH 87, 45 miles south of Kountze, 16.7 miles south of Deweyville, 36 miles northeast of Sabine Pass, 8.7 miles northeast of Bridge City, 20 miles northeast of Port Arthur, 20.7 miles northeast of Port Neches, 13 miles southeast of Mauriceville, 19 miles east of Vidor, and 24 miles east of Beaumont, Texas.
 
Orange County Courthouse, 1937:
This brick, limestone and marble courthouse was designed in moderne style by architect C.H. Page who is well-known for his Victorian courthouses. An addition and the marble entrance were added in 1960. The 2010 Orange County census was 81,837. 801 West Division Avenue, Orange.
  
Texas Travel Information Center:
The twelve ADA compliant Texas Travel Centers are managed by the Texas Transportation Department (TxDOT). All are staffed by professional travel counselors who help travelers with routings and provide information on points of interest, events, and road conditions. Open daily, 8am-5pm; 8am-6pm, Memorial Day through Labor Day; closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Easter, New Year’s Day, and Thanksgiving. Travelers can also call the toll free line, (800) 452-9292. Road conditions are available 24 hours a day on the toll free line; travel information is available 8am-6pm. The line also has information on fall foliage and scenic wildflower routes during the spring. A 600-foot, ADA compliant boardwalk begins at the Travel Center and extends into the Blue Elbow Swamp. The travel center is located at 1708 East IH-10 in Orange, Texas. (409) 883-9416.
 
Heritage Veterans Memorial Plaza:
This memorial honors Orange County veterans. The names of those who gave their lives for their country are inscribed on a wall. The “Tears from a Grateful Heart” statue was sculpted by Colorado artist Scott Stearman; it depicts a soldier kneeling at the grave of a fallen comrade. (409) 883-4674. The plaza is located at 3810 MLK Parkway on the grounds of the Church of the Nazarene. 
 
Rainbow Bridge (formerly Port Arthur-Orange County Bridge), 1938 & Veterans Memorial Bridge:
The SH 87 Rainbow Bridge was dedicated as the Port Arthur-Orange (County) Bridge; it replaced the unreliable Dryden Ferry as the connection between Port Arthur and Bridge City. The Rainbow Bridge name is the result of a 1957 contest held to rename the bridge. The bridge has a vertical clearance of slightly over 176 feet. This clearance was chosen to allow passage of the USS Patoka, the tallest ship afloat at the time, though the ship never traveled up the Neches River. At the time the bridge was built it was the most elevated highway bridge over tidal waters in the world. The bridge was built to withstand a 130 mile an hour hurricane wind and a wind pressure of 75 pounds per square foot. The Veterans Memorial Bridge is located adjacent to the Rainbow Bridge; it was completed in 1991; it has a vertical clearance of 143 feet. After extensive renovations to bring it up to federal standards, the Rainbow Bridge became the southbound traffic bridge, and the new Veterans Memorial Bridge became the northbound bridge.  
 
Cow Bayou Swing Bridge & Photo of the Pivot, Bridge City, 1940:
The 1940 Cow Bayou Swing Bridge is located northeast of Bridge City on SH 87/73, 1.13 miles northeast of the junction of SH 87/73 and FM 1442. It connects Bridge City with Orange, Texas. A new bridge is being built over it. When completed, plans call for the swing bridge to be demolished. The problem with demolishing it is that it is one of two of its kind in the state, and is eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. The other remaining bridge spans the Sabine River in Deweyville, Texas.    
 
Union Pacific Railroad (Echo) Swing Span Bridge over Sabine River, 1903:
The bridge connects railroad lines between Houston and New Orleans. Ship owners requesting the bridge be opened must notify the bridge owners 24 hours in advance of need. Few ships actually request the bridge to be opened so the owners of the bridge are requesting that they be allowed to increase the length of notification time, or deactivate the swing portion of the bridge. The bridge is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. It is located north of IH-10 at Sabine River mile 19.3 at the town of Echo, north of Orange, Texas.  
 
Port of Orange:
The deep water Port of Orange was opened in 1916 after The 25 foot channel was completed through Sabine Lake, past Sabine Pass, and out to the Gulf of Mexico. The port’s industrial park is located on the Intracoastal Canal and the Sabine River. The port is able to handle any type of break-bulk general cargo and heavy lift cargo to or from barges or deep sea vessels. (409) 883-4363. 1201 Childers Road, Orange, TX 77631.