Contact
 
 
County
Willacy
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 11,284
2000 Census - 9,733
Nearby
Towns
Raymondville, Texas
null
Raymondville Texas History:
The town was established in 1904 when former King Ranch Foreman Edward Burleson Raymond organized the Raymond Town and Improvement Company; a post office was granted the same year. Also in 1904, Raymond’s company and the Kleberg Town and Improvement Company granted a right-a-way to the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway. In return, the railway granted low cost round trip fares to potential land purchasers. Acting as agents for the King Ranch, Henrietta King and Raymond sold town lots to settlers. In 1911, Raymondville became the county seat of the newly formed Willacy County. By 1912, farmers began growing Bermuda onions. The onions were so suited to the soil that they became the most important crop in the southern part of the county, replacing ranchland. By 1914, Raymondville had four general stores, a bank, newspaper, hotel, cotton gin, lumber company and 350 residents. The town became the local trading center for area farmers who raised sorghum, cotton, citrus fruits, vegetables and corn, and by 1929 had grown to 1,800 residents. In 1941 it had 150 businesses and 4,050 residents. By the 1960s Raymondville had added several industries including a cottonseed processing plant, manufactures of farm implements, leather goods producers, fruit processors, and children’s clothing manufacturers. Today Raymondville is still a center for the area’s agriculture. Its proximity to the coast makes it a year round recreation area. The award winning Downtown Pocket Park features murals depicting the history of Willacy County. Raymondville is located at the intersection of U.S. 77 and SH 186 (Hidalgo Avenue), 74 miles south of Kingsville, 58 miles south of Riviera, 21 miles north of Harlingen, approximately 40 miles northeast of McAllen, 50 miles north of Brownsville and South Padre Island, and 22 miles west of Port Mansfield, Texas. 
 
Willacy County Courthouse, 1922:
The brick courthouse was designed in classical revival style by architect Henry Truman Phelps. The 2010 Willacy County census was 22,134. The courthouse is located at the corner of North 3rd and Hidalgo Streets.
 
Willacy County Historical Museum & Community Center:
The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Raymondville and Willacy County including
a vintage automobile, a chuckwagon, a costume room featuring World War I and II uniforms and ball gowns, and memorabilia from the King and Kenedy Ranches. Local artist Elmer Kochert painted six murals on the hallway walls. The museum is located in the 1924 Raymondville School building. Open Wed & Sat, 1pm-4pm, or by appointment. (956) 607-4601. Chamber of Commerce: (956) 689-6604. The museum is located at 427 S. 7th Street (U.S. Business 77) at Harris Street. Email