Contact
 
 
County
Brazoria
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 56
2000 Census - 38
Nearby
Towns
Quintana, Texas
null
Quintana Texas History:
Quintana is a manmade island located on the west side of the old mouth of the Brazos River on the Texas Gulf Coast. The town stretches southwest approximately 3.5 miles to the new mouth of the Brazos River. Quintana is believed to have been named for Mexican General Andres Quintana. Spanish settlers of the Navarez Expedition landed here in 1528. In 1821, Stephen F. Austin’s first group of Texas colonists landed on the east side of the old mouth of the Brazos River across from Quintana. This east side location would become the town of Velasco in 1831, and later would become the Village of Surfside Beach. More than 25,000 colonists entered Texas through the Velasco port from the beginning of Austin’s first colony in 1821 to Texas winning its independence from Mexico in 1836. Also in 1821, Mexico established a fort with a customs office at Velasco. The establishment of the Velasco port caused the early decline of Quintana’s port. Historical accounts describe Quintana in the later 1830s as being a place of shanties and a mixed population of Mexicans, Anglos, and Indians; some accounts mention a hotel, pavilion, pool halls and dance halls. A post office was established in 1853, closed in 1857, reopened in 1891 and closed again in 1915. During Texas’s antebellum period, Quintana was a favorite vacation spot for plantation families who built fine homes along the beach. Prior to the 1930s, the large amount of silt from the Brazos River (silt turns to sand) was causing the Surfside beach (site of Old Velasco) to widen. This accumulation of sand was clogging the Port of Freeport and the new Intracoastal Canal. The U.S. Army Corps of engineers corrected this problem by damning the river before it reached Surfside and rerouting the Brazos River so it dumped its beach restoring silt six miles down the coast; this caused Quintana to become an island. Today Quintana is a popular vacation beach helped by the Brazoria County Park. The Justin Hurst Wildlife Management Area is located on the southwest end of Bryan Beach and the island. Quintana is located on the west side of the (old) mouth of the Brazos River on FMs 1495 and 723, directly across the Brazos River Harbor from Surfside, and 6 miles southeast of Freeport, 14 miles southeast of Lake Jackson, and 20 miles southeast of Brazoria, Texas. Access to the Quintana Island is via the FM 1495 Bridge.

Brazosport Area of Cities, 50 Miles South of Houston:
Clute, Freeport, Jones Creek, Lake Jackson, Oyster Creek, Quintana, Richwood, and Surfside Beach make up this area of cities. They are located at the mouth of the Brazos and San Bernard Rivers, and together have approximately 44 miles of sandy beaches. Industries include chemical manufacturing, petro-chemical processing, a variety of other manufacturing industries, deep water port activities, sports and commercial fishing, and tourism. These towns are very close together, so whether you are planning to visit or move to one of these towns, it is important to read and research each one of them. Limiting yourself to the activities, and cultural or outdoor offerings of one of these towns, would be similar to isolating yourself in the neighborhood you live in. The major beaches in the area are Bryan, Quintana, and Surfside Beaches. Two other nearby towns are Angleton and Sweeny. (979) 285-2501.
 
Historic Quintana, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Named for a Mexican General, as early as 1532, Quintana was a thriving village. A port of entry in the Republic of Texas, it was a strategic port in the Civil War. From 1870-1900, it was an industrial area, and a cattle and cotton shipping point. During the late 1800s, it was a fashionable summer colony. Largely destroyed in the 1900 storm, it was rebuilt, and today is a resort and fishing center.” The Texas Historical Marker is located on Burnet Road, west of Quintana Beach Park.
 
Historic Allen Place, 1883:
This famous boarding house was built by the Jarvis family of Old Quintana, and restored by B.T. Allen, the present owner. The building is located on Burnet Road near Quintana Beach Park.
 
Historic Quintana Cemetery, 1800s:
This is a family plot for members of the Seaburn and Bowers Families. Captain Henry Seaburn (born 1815) settled in Quintana in 1840. He became a master carpenter and shipbuilder. Seaburn’s family home has been moved to the Quintana Beach County Park, but the cemetery remains in its original location. The cemetery is located off Holley Street behind the “Petroleum Fuel and Terminal.” Visiting hours are Mon-Fri, 8am-4pm, and by appointment by calling Quintana Town Hall; (979) 233-0848.
 
Coveney House Museum:
The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Quintana, and has a natural history display. The museum collections are housed in the old Coveney House located in the Quintana Beach County Park at 330 5th Street. (979) 233-1461. (800) 872-7578.
 
Annual Brazoria County Fair, Livestock Show & Rodeo, October:
Activities include live entertainment, a carnival, a BBQ cook-off, a livestock show and rodeo, auctions, a parade, pageants, contests, a pet parade, tricycle races, a youth horseshow, commercial exhibits, live music, a science fair and more. (979) 849-6416. This event is held at the Brazoria County Fair Grounds. 901 S. Downing Street, Angleton, Texas.
 
Sand Bar & Grill:
They serve chicken fried steak, hamburgers and other menu items. Reviews are unavailable. (979) 233-9851. 809 Lamar Street.