Quitaque Texas History:
The Quitaque Valley was a stronghold of the Comanches during the 1700s and 1800s. They traded rustled livestock and slaves for weapons and goods with Comancheros from New Mexico. The first settler was Comanchero trader Jose Piedad Tafoya who operated a trading post on the present Quitaque townsite from 1865-1867. George Baker established the Lazy F Ranch in 1877. In 1880, Charles Goodnight purchased the Lazy F Ranch and renamed it Quitaque. The ranch included parts of Briscoe, Floyd, and Hall Counties. The first post office was established at the ranch headquarters on Quitaque Creek in what is now Floyd County. In 1892, Briscoe County was organized, the town of Quitaque was platted, and the post office was moved to the town. By 1890, settlers had begun moving into the area and Quitaque had 40 residents. By 1914, Quitaque had a school, the Twilla Hotel, a bank, three general stores and 75 residents. Quitaque became a shipping and commercial center for area farmers when the Fort Worth and Denver South Plains Railroad built a line to the town in the early 1920s. Today Quitaque remains a ranching and farming community. Quitaque is located at the intersection of SH 86 and RR 1065, 52 miles northeast of Floydada, 69 miles northeast of Plainview, 96 miles southeast of Amarillo, 77 miles southeast of Canyon, 43 miles southeast of Tulia, 16.8 miles southeast of Silverton, 52 miles southwest of Clarendon, 9.5 miles southwest of Turkey, and 38 miles northwest of Matador, Texas.
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail
. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email Plains Trail Map
Briscoe County AgriLife Extension Office:
The Texas A & M AgriLife Extension offices are responsible for 4-H and youth programs, agriculture and natural programs, family and consumer science, and community development. They also have hunting information. They manage head start, senior citizen, home economics, agriculture and other programs. If your tomatoes have blight, contact them. If you need to know something regarding a small town, contact them or the county judge’s office.(806) 823-2522. 415 Main Street, Silverton, TX 79257. Email
Historic Gray Mule, Texas:
This cemetery dates to the late 1800s, and has the graves of two cowboys. It is located at the former location of Gray Mule, Texas. The Texas Historical Marker refers to the Cemetery as Gray Mule Cemetery. A marker at the cemetery indicates this site was once the headquarters of the Quitaque Ranch, the ranch Charles Goodnight purchased in 1880 for Cornelia Adair. From Quitaque take FM 1065 south for 4 miles. Go west on CR 30 and travel 2 miles to the “Y.” Go east at the “Y” a short distance (200 yards) and turn south and drive 1.2 miles. Go west over the cattle guard into the pasture and drive 0.2 miles to the cemetery on the left.
Charles Goodnight moved to Texas in 1846, became a cowboy in 1856, and served with the local militia fighting Comanche Raiders. In 1857, he joined the Texas Rangers. In 1860 Goodnight participated in a raid in which a party of Texas Rangers led by Lawrence S. Ross, a future Governor of Texas, rescued Cynthia Ann Parker and her infant daughter Prairie Flower from the Comanche. After the Civil War, which Charles spent guarding the frontier from Indian raids he became involved in herding feral Texas Longhorn cattle from West Texas to the railroads. In 1866, he and Oliver Loving drove their first herd northward over what would become known as the Goodnight-Loving Trail. Charles is credited with inventing the chuck wagon which he first used on this initial cattle drive. In New Mexico he and Loving formed a partnership with John Chisum for future contracts to supply the U.S. Army with cattle. After Loving’s death, Charles and Chisum extended the cattle trail from New Mexico to Colorado. Charles returned Loving’s body to Weatherford, Texas for burial. In 1870, Goodnight married Mary Ann (Molly) Dyer, a teacher from Weatherford. Goodnight developed a sidesaddle for Mary so she could easily ride with him, and donated money to build a Methodist church in Goodnight, Texas. He was in partnership with John Adair in the forming of JA Ranch, the first ranch in the Texas Panhandle. Charles founded the Panhandle Stockman’s Association, and he and Mary worked hard to preserve their herd of American Bison. At the age of 91, by then a widower, Charles married Connie Goodnight (no relation); Connie became Connie Goodnight Goodnight. Lonesome Dove movie character Woodrow F. Call was based on Charles Goodnight’s life. The character of Augustus McCrae character was based on the life of Oliver Loving.
Cynthia Ann Parker:
A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas, is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured by the Noconi Comanche during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanche, married Comanche Chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Lawrence S. Ross, a future Governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Cynthia begged to be returned to her husband, but her request was refused; she died within a short period of time after her rescue. He son Quanah Parker became the last Great War Chief of the Comanche.
Comanchero Canyons Museum:
This museum opened to the public in 2015. It will be located in a 3,000 square foot former church. Exhibits depict the history of the Caprock Canyonlands of Briscoe, Swisher, Hall, Floyd, and Motley Counties, and include artifacts from the Texas-Santa Fe Expedition, the Red River War, fossils discovered in the area, an authentic Mexican Carreta (cart), and the collection of Otho Stubbs, an artist and historian from Turkey. Hours vary; admission is free. ((806) 823-2215. (806) 983-0103. 200 South 3rd
Street. Email Facebook More Information
Historic Theo Geisler Dugout:
Theo Geisler was an early Briscoe County rancher. This dugout is located on CR 29, 7 miles north of Quitaque. (806) 455-1456.
Ozark Trail Obelisk, Tampico, Texas:
Ozark Trail markers were located in five states in the 20s when many automobile enthusiasts were pushing for the improvement of American highways. Each obelisk listed mileage distances on the trail between its placement city and several distant cities. All of the trails lead to or connected up with routes that went to the Ozark Mountains. Many of these routes have become federal highways today. 21 obelisks remain. Tampico’s marker is located in its original location northeast of SH 86 near FM 657. Tampico is located between Turkey and Quitaque.
Caprock Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Tue-Fri, 7:30am-5pm. (806) 455-1225. 104 N. 1st
We The Women Thrift Store:
Founded in 1972, the organization operates the Thrift Store, and raises other monies which they use for community projects. The Thrift Store is open Mon and Fri, 10am-4pm, and the first Saturday of the month from 10am to 4pm. Store is located across from City Hall, 1 block north of the blinking light on 1st
Street. Meetings held the 2nd
Tuesday of each month at noon; First United Methodist Church on 1st
and Wilson Streets. (806) 455-1225. Email
Quitaque Community Center & Event Venue:
This 6,000 square foot facility is available for rental. (806) 455-1052. 117 W. Main Street, Quitaque, TX 79255
Washington Cattle Company Bluegrass Festival in Flomot, Texas, Mid-May:
The festival begins Thursday evening at 5:30pm with a supper, and live Gospel music from 6-10 pm. Friday evening enjoy live bluegrass music from 6pm to 11pm, and an open mike session at 6pm. Saturday features open mike sessions at noon and 6pm, a quilt raffle in the evening, and live bluegrass music until 11pm. The Turner/Hardin Trade Days are also held on Saturday. Join the all night jam sessions. Entrance and supper fees apply. RV sites with electric hookups are available; supper is free for those with RV sites. Food vendors will be onsite. Bring lawn chairs. A rain location is available. The festival is held on the Old Gin Grounds on FM 599. (806) 469-5278. (806) 269-1578. Flomot is located 14 miles southeast of Quitaque. Email Flomot Area Map Flomot Map; Click to Enlarge
They serve very good country cooking including chicken fried steak. Open Mon-Wed, 6am-8pm; Thu-Sat, 6am-9pm. (806) 455-1429. 201 Main Street. Reviews