Contact
 
 
County
Palo Pinto
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 211
Nearby
Towns
Palo Pinto, Texas
null
Palo Pinto Texas History:
Settlers began arriving in this Brazos River Valley area in 1855. In 1856, the town of Golconda was established as the county seat of the newly formed Palo Pinto County. The county was organized in 1857, and plans to survey and plat the town were established at the first county meeting. A wooden county courthouse was built in 1857 and the Golconda post office was established in 1858. Later that year the community and post office were renamed Palo Pinto. Joseph H. Dillahunty opened the first general store which included Charles Goodnight and Christopher Columbus Slaughter as customers. After the Civil War Palo Pinto became a commercial center for area ranchers. The town was located on the Fort Griffin to Weatherford stage line which crossed the Brazos at Oaks Crossing. In 1895, the Oak Crossing ferry was replaced by a bridge. Even though Palo Pinto was the only town in the county, it was bypassed by the Texas and Pacific Railway in 1880. In 1881, the wooden courthouse was replaced with a native sandstone building. In 1940, a new courthouse replaced the 1881 structure. Unincorporated Palo Pinto is located at the intersection of SH 180 and FM 4, 36.7 miles east of Breckenridge, 49 miles southeast of Graham, 27 miles southeast of Possum Kingdom Lake, 54 miles southwest of Jacksboro, 32.6 miles southwest of Graford, 23.4 miles southwest of Mineral Wells, 42 miles slightly southwest of Weatherford, 37.7 miles northeast of Eastland, 28 miles northeast of Ranger, 14 miles northeast of Strawn, and 14 miles northeast of Gordon, Texas.

Lovers Retreat, 1850s:
This site is one of the most scenic sites in Palo Pinto. There are many tales regarding how it came by its name. One such story is that an early settler named Lovers was spotted by Indians while rounding up stray cattle. He hid in a cave until the Indians quit searching for him and left the area. In the 1850s, the park was open to the public and hosted public meetings, picnics, reunions, church revivals, and other events. The park is now located on the private Barney Carter Ranch.
 
U.S. 281 Brazos River Bridge:
This Warren polygonal chord truss bridge was built between 1938 and 1939 as a WPA project. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Properties. It is located near Santos Texas and Possum Kingdom Lake, 14 miles northwest of Palo Pinto, Texas.
 
Palo Pinto County Courthouse, 1940:
The courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance style by Preston M. Green and M.A. Howell. It is constructed of sandstone from the 1882 courthouse. Though not grandiose like the Romanesque courthouses built in the 1890s, this 1940 building has its own understated charm. 520 Oak Street. Photos
 
Old Jail Museum Complex, 1880:
The two story jail housed inmates on the second floor and the sheriff and his family on the ground floor. Exhibits depict the early days in Palo Pinto County and include the original noose and trapdoor. Three cabins and a fort were moved to the grounds. The Moseley Dog Trot Cabin’s period pieces include fireplace cookware, a rope bed, chamber pot and a foot powered sewing machine. The Johnson Cabin features exhibits depicting the life of John Winters, and a pioneer bedroom with a handcrafted sleigh bed. The Joe Johnson cabin has been has been converted to its original condition. The Maddox Ranch kitchen has a blacksmith, and the Carriage House features a restored Crossland Buggy. The first floor of the old jail houses artifacts and documents depicting the history of Palo Pinto County pioneers, and contains the switchboard used by the Palo Pinto Telephone Company. The second floor is filled with old washing machines, military uniforms, saddles, branding irons, ranching gear, musical instruments, a telegraph, and an old railroad display. The former jail holding cells, a hitching post and stile block, log corn and wheat cribs, a thresher, wagon, and other ranching and farming equipment are located on the grounds. Additional buildings include the Barrows-Edgin Log Cabin, Fort Black Springs, and the fairly new Jean Price Welcome Center which offers genealogy research and special displays. The museum is open the first weekend in March to the second weekend in December, Thu-Sat, 10am-3pm. (940) 329-8014. The museum is located at 5th and Elm Streets.
 
Annual Old Settlers Reunion, 1st Saturday in July:
The Palo Pinto Historical Association hosts an open house at the Old Jail Museum featuring homemade desserts, live music, games, and crafts demonstrations including quilting, spinning, weaving and flint knapping. The Reunion offers live music and a historical presentation. (940) 659-1253.