Contact
 
 
County
Throckmorton
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 828
2000 Census - 905
Nearby
Towns
Throckmorton, Texas
null
Throckmorton Texas History:
In 1879, the Throckmorton community became the county seat of the newly established Throckmorton County. Both the town and county were named after Dr. William Edward Throckmorton, an early Collin County settler and father of a future Texas governor. In 1890, Throckmorton had 124 residents. In 1990 the population was 1,036. Incorporated Throckmorton is a ranching and farming community, and a favorite hunting area. Nearby water recreation is available at Lake Throckmorton, Hubbard Creek Reservoir, and the Brazos River. Sculptor Joe Barrington grew up in this community. He created the armadillo sculpture located downtown. The Throckmorton County Veterans Memorial features a memorial wall. The Throckmorton Visitor Center is located at the corner of U.S. 183/283 and U.S. 380 across from the county courthouse. Throckmorton is located at the intersections of U.S. 380 (Chestnut Street), SH 79 and U.S. 283/183 (Minter Avenue), 37 miles southeast of Munday, 31 miles southeast of Seymour, 48 miles southwest of Archer City, 39.6 miles west of Graham, 36.7 miles northwest of Breckenridge, 19 miles north of Fort Griffin, and 34 miles northeast of Albany, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email Plains Trail Map
 
Fort Griffin State Historic Site Information: 
The park is located on the Clear Fork of the Brazos River. It is surrounded by vast ranches making the unlit night sky perfect for stargazing from the scenic overlook. The fort was built on a hill overlooking the river in 1867, and deactivated in 1881. It was once one of the wildest places in west Texas. A 1 mile gravel trail winds through the rock ruins and the original and reconstructed fort buildings. The rock ruins include the First Sergeant's Quarters, the administration building, Sutler's Store, the hospital, a water cistern, and two officer's quarters. Original buildings include the library (also used as the school and chapel), the bakery (with ovens and a pot-bellied stove), the powder magazine and the commanding officer's quarters. The Friends of Fort Griffin (volunteers) have developed plans to restore the powder magazine by adding a roof and interpretive displays. The mess hall and the barracks hut were reconstructed by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps). Additional facilities include a flag pole, a hand dug well, blacksmith and carpenter shops, cavalry stables, a guard house, the adjutant's office, a post office, the quartermaster storehouse, and the wheeler shop. Shaunissy’s Saloon has been reconstructed on its original foundation.Some of the west’s most famous people were involved in the settlement, including Doc Holliday (dentist turned gambler), Big Nose Kate (Holliday’s sometimes girlfriend), Lotte Deno (Carlotta J. Thompkins, gambler), Pat Garrett (captured Billy the Kid twice), John Wesley Hardin (famous gunfighter), and Wyatt Earp (lawman). Since 1948, Fort Griffin has been the official home and manager of the Official Texas State Longhorn Herd. Portions of this herd are located at Copper Breaks State Park, Lyndon B. Johnson State Park and Historic Site, Palo Duro Canyon State Park and San Angelo State Park. Fort Griffin is a Texas Archeological Landmark and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. For more information read the Park Brochures and the History Article, and go to the Fort Griffin SHS Home Page. The fort is located approximately 19 miles southwest of Throckmorton, 15 miles northeast of Albany, and 35 miles northwest of Breckenridge, Texas. From Albany: Go 15 miles northeast on U.S. 283 to fort entrance. The Fort is located on the west side of U.S. 283. The Camping area and the Longhorn Pen are located on the east side of U.S. 283.
 
Historic Clear Fork of the Brazos Suspension Bridge, 1896, Woodson:
This bridge is one of 8 suspension bridges still in existence in Texas. It was built by the Flinn-Moyer company in 1896 at a cost of $4500. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. From Woodson take 209 West 4 miles to SH 2850 South. Drive south three miles to where the pavement turns into two dirt roads that fork; take the left fork and drive to the bridge. Woodson Area Map 
 
Throckmorton County Courthouse, 1890:
The stone courthouse was designed in Italianate style by architects Martin, Byrnes & Johnston; it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Throckmorton County Veterans Memorial is located on the courthouse grounds. The Throckmorton County marker is located on U.S. 283 and SH 79. (940) 849-3081. 101 North Minter Avenue, Throckmorton, TX 76483.
 
Throckmorton Depot Library:
The library is a non-profit organization established in 1990 by Throckmorton residents. It is housed in the renovated depot. The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. The library interior walls are decorated with vintage photos. A meeting room is available for use. Donations to the library are appreciated. Open Mon & Wed, 9am-1pm; Tue & Thu, 9am-4pm. (940) 849-3076. The library is located at 120 East Chestnut Street. Email  
 
Annual Throckmorton Ranch Rodeo & Pioneer Day, 2nd Weekend in June: 
Chamber of Commerce: (940) 849-0631. City Hall: (940) 849-4411.
 
Annual Cow Country Christmas Celebration, Early Dec:
Chamber of Commerce: (940) 849-0631. City Hall: (940) 862-3107.