2000 Census - 6,078
Slaton Texas History:
In 1911, the Santa Fe Railway purchased a portion of the former IOA Ranch, and established a townsite and a division point to service trains. The streets were patterned after those in Washington D.C. The town was named for rancher and banker O.L. Slaton who promised to establish a bank. The Slaton post office was established in 1910. Slaton had the largest division center on the Santa Fe line. The town became a commercial and shipping center for area ranchers and cotton farmers. It incorporated in 1912. Slaton continued growing through the 1950s. When the Santa Fe moved the division center to Lubbock in the late 1960s, Slaton lost businesses and residents. Today, Slaton is still an agricultural center producing cotton and grains. Slaton is located at the intersections of U.S. 84, FM 400, and FM 41, 40.6 miles southwest of Crosbyton, 24 miles northwest of Post, 49 miles northeast of Brownfield, 29 miles northeast of Tahoka, 48 miles southeast of Levelland, and 17.8 miles southeast of Lubbock, Texas.
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email Plains Trail Map
Texas Historical Markers:
Slaton’s historical markers are located at the Harvey House (400 Railroad Avenue), at Slaton Bakery (109 S. 9th Street), the Fire Station (N. Panhandle and 8th Streets), and at the Mercy Retreat Center (1225 W. Division Street). The 1809 Locomotive “Cotton Special” is located on the east side of the town square at 8th and Lubbock Street.
Historic Slaton Harvey House, 1912, Texas Historical Marker Text & Information:
“The city of Slaton has historic ties to the railroad. For decades the site was ranchland until the Santa Fe Railway sought a location for a division point to service trains. The Santa Fe bought the land in April 1911, naming the townsite for rancher and banker O.L. Slaton. Passenger and freight service became central to the economy, and the company built a passenger depot and Harvey House the following year. Scottish immigrant Fred Harvey created the Harvey House chain in 1876, partnering with the Santa Fe Railway, which built the restaurants and provided space on their trains for food and supplies. Harvey provided the equipment, management and hospitality staff, including hostesses known as Harvey Girls. The Slaton Harvey House served efficient but elegant meals to 42 passengers at a time around a horseshoe-shaped counter on the first floor, which also house the kitchen, bakery, gift shop and manager’s office. The manager and his family and the Harvey Girls roomed on the second floor. The Slaton Harvey House, a commercial and social center, operated for thirty years, briefly reopening to serve troops during World War II. The building remained a passenger depot until 1969; the railroad later converted it to a freight depot and operations center before vacating the property in the 1980s. Slaton citizens coordinated the preservation and restoration of their landmark building. The two-story Mission Revival Slaton Harvey House features one-foot thick concrete walls, an arcaded trackside pavilion with stepped parapet, overhanging eaves with brackets, divided light windows and a flat upper story parapet decorated with the Santa Fe Railway company symbol.” It is one of the few surviving Harvey Houses in Texas. The Harvey House is being restored and will house the Railroad History Museum, a B & B, and the office of a regional bus service. 400 Railroad Avenue. (806) 828-5900. Tours are available by appointment.
Slaton Heritage Mural:
The mural was designed by Bill “Tex” Wilson, a nationally recognized artist whose works feature railroaders and cowboys of the Old West. The mural was recently renovated. Prints of the Mural are available from the Slaton Chamber of Commerce at 200 W. Garza Street. (806) 828-6238. Prints are also available from the Slatonite Newspaper, P. O. Box 667, Slaton, Texas 79364, (806) 828-6201.The mural is located at 9th and Garza Street.
Texas Air Museum & Air Show:
The main branch of the museum was located in Rio Hondo; it closed in 2006. The San Antonio Branch is still open. Exhibits include vehicles, planes, uniforms, and other military aviation artifacts. The museum hosts great air shows. The museum is open most Saturdays; group tours are available with advanced notice. The museum is located on the northeast corner of the Slaton Municipal Airport. Open Tue & Thu, 10am. (806) 828-4664. 12102 FM 400, Slaton, Texas 79364.
Slaton Harvey House Railroad Museum & B & B, 1912:
This renovated Mission Revival style two story building features one foot thick concrete walls. It houses the museum and a bread and breakfast. The museum houses exhibits depicting the history of the railroad. The building is available for meetings, weddings and parties. Tours are available by appointment. Open Tue-Wed, 10am-2pm.400 Railroad Avenue. (806) 828-5900.Reservations: (806) 632-5536.
The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Slaton, including antique furniture, glassware, vintage medical instruments, photos and books. (806) 828-6238. 178 North 8th Street.
Slaton City Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, audio books, copy and fax machines, laminating, videos, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. The library is free. Open Mon-Fri, 9:30am-1pm; 2pm-5:30pm. (806) 828-2008. 200 W. Lynn Street. Email