Contact
 
 
County
Hall
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 421
2000 Census - 494
Nearby
Towns
Turkey, Texas
null
Turkey Texas History:  
The first settlers arrived near Turkey Creek in the 1890s and established the settlement of Turkey Roost. When the post office was established in1893, the name was shortened to Turkey. A chapter of the Woodmen of the World was organized in 1906. The town plat was filed in 1907. Turkey incorporated in 1926. In 1928, the Fort Worth and Denver Railway built a line through town, establishing Turkey as a commercial and shipping center for area ranchers and farmers.Turkey's most famous citizen is Bob Wills (Texas Playboys), a former barber and the King of Western Swing music. The town hosts an annual Bob Wills Reunion the last Thursday through Saturday in April, drawing 10,000 to 15,000 visitors. Turkey is still a ranching and farming center. Major crops include watermelon, cotton, peanuts, watermelon and sweet potatoes. Turkey is located on Turkey Creek at the intersection of SH 70 and SH 86, 53 miles southeast of Tulia, 26 miles southeast of Silverton, 43 miles south of Clarendon, 46 miles southwest of Memphis, 47miles west of Childress, 60 miles northwest of Paducah, 28.4 miles north of Matador, 9.5 miles northeast of Quitaque and Caprock Canyons State Park, and 59 miles northeast of Floydada, Texas.
  
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408.  Email  Texas Plains Trail Map
 
Historic Ozark Trail at Tampico, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“In 1913, William Hope "Coin" Harvey, who operated a resort in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas, founded the Ozark Trail Association as a private highway organization. Several Texas and New Mexico counties joined the effort, and the line went diagonally from St. Louis, Missouri to Santa Fe, New Mexico. As part of Harvey's plan, stops along the way featured white obelisks denoting, in the official Ozark Trail green lettering, town names, as well as directions and distances to other towns.  The central Ozark route passed across Wellington, Texas, and a second southern route was built through the communities of Childress, Estelline, Tampico, Turkey, Quitaque, Silverton, Tulia, Nazareth and Dimmitt. J.E. Swepston of Tulia, elected Ozark Trail Association president in 1920, was instrumental in having the striking road markers placed in this area. At the time, Hall County had more than 1,000 farms and ranches, and ranchland continued to be divided into farms as more settlers arrived in the area. In 1924, however, with a government initiative to enact a national road-numbering system, the Ozark Trails and other private highways were abandoned or absorbed into the national road system. Adjacent to the Tampico marker was a service station and general store. In 1929, the Tampico oilfield started a short-lived boom in the community, which supported a school. After the oil supply proved minimal, the school consolidated into the Turkey school district. The obelisk, designated a State Archeological Landmark in 1999, remains as a tie to both the early efforts to increase automotive travel and to the community of Tampico. 

1922 Phillips Gas Station & Bob Wills Tour Bus:
This gas station has been partially restored. It is located adjacent to the Bob Wills tour bus on SH 86/Main Street.  
 
Ozark Trail Obelisks, Tampico, Texas:  
These Ozark Trail markers were located in five states in the 20s when many automobile enthusiasts were pushing for the improvement of American highways. Each obelisk listed mileage distances on the trail between its placement city and several distant cities. All of the trails lead to or connected up with routes that went to the Ozark Mountains. Many of these routes have become federal highways today. 21 obelisks remain. Tampico’s marker is located in its original location northeast of SH 86 near FM 657. Tampico is located between Turkey and Quitaque.
 
Bob Wills Museum:
Born to Emma Lee Foley and John Wills, a statewide champion fiddle player, Bob was reared on the family cotton farm north of town. The museum honors the life and career of Bob Wills ("The best dam fiddle player in the world," according to Merle Haggard) and his band, the Texas Playboys. Will's music was so popular in the 1940s that his records sold more copies than any other artist during that period. Some of Bob Will's songs include "San Antonio Rose," "Maiden's Prayer," "Faded Love," and "Take Me Back to Tulsa." The museum features exhibits and memorabilia from Bob Will’s career, and from his band. Also included are fiddles, hats, photos, and recordings of his music. A Bob Wills monument and the Bob Wills Park are located adjacent to the museum. Wills was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville. He and Gene Autry are the only two performers inducted into the National Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma. The museum is located in the former grade school building which is owned by the Bob Wills Foundation. Open Mon-Tue, 9:30am-11:30 and 1pm-5pm; Wed-Fri, 8am-11am and 1pm-5pmm and by special appointment. (806) 423-1491. 602 Lyles Street.
 
Turkey Roost Museum:
The museum is located in a 1920s building which features the original tin ceiling. The museum features exhibits and memorabilia of the history of Turkey. Open Sat, 9:30am-11:30am, and 1:30pm-3:30pm. It is also open for all celebrations in Turkey. Tours may be arranged. (806) 423-1240. 111 West Main Street.
 
Gem Theater, 1928:
This historic theater opened in 1928 showing silent movies. Bob Wills performed in the theater during the 1930s. The theater now hosts the monthly Jamboree, a free to the public production produced on the first Saturday of each month at 7pm; a 6pm dinner is served on the patio. Turkey Heritage Foundation: (806) 423-1420. The theater is located at 217 Main Street, Turkey, TX 79261.  
 
Church of Western Swing:
This former Assembly of God church was built in 1927, the same year as the Turkey Hotel. A stage features Bib Wills posters and memorabilia. This music venue hosts live western swing music by the Cows Band. During the annual Bob Wills Festival jam sessions are held on the stage beginning the week prior to the festival. (580) 228-2879. (580) 313-0210. Email  
 
Senior Citizen's Room:
For rental information call (806) 423-1464.
 
Annual Bob Wills Day, Last Weekend in April:
This annual festival celebrating hometown celebrity Bob Wills, the King of Western Swing, runs three days, starting with the Thursday evening dance. Friday begins with a breakfast; the evening brings live music and a dance. Saturday events include a breakfast, a parade, Old fiddler's contest in the former high school auditorium, a free afternoon Texas Playboys concert on the old high school football field, a BBQ lunch in the old grade school cafeteria, arts and crafts vendors, and another evening of live music and dance held in the old gym. Country swing music is played at the Church of Western Swing every night beginning the week prior to the event. The Barn offers square dancing during the week, and Turkey Track offers live music and jam sessions. (806) 423-1253. Many events are free; tickets are required for the dances. Turkey Track: (806) 423-1083. The Barn: (505) 749-5092.
 
Hotel Turkey B & B:
The B&B is housed in the 1927 Turkey Hotel. The hotel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and has been in continuous operation since its 1927 opening. The hotel is located at the corner of 3rd and Alexander Streets. Reviews