Spring Texas History:
Spring is a census-designated place within the extraterritorial jurisdiction of Houston. The area was originally inhabited by the Orcoquiza Native Americans. In 1838 William Pierpont established a trading post on Spring Creek, thereby making the area attractive to German and other immigrants who established farms in the area; crops included sugar cane, cotton, and vegetables. Growth increased dramatically with the arrival of the Houston and Great Northern Railroad in 1871, and the 1903 establishment of the International-Great Northern Railroad’s line between Spring and Fort Worth. Spring is located on IH-45 and SH 548 (Hardy Toll Road), 13 miles east of Tomball, 47 miles southeast of Huntsville, 17.8 miles south of Conroe, 30 miles northwest of Sheldon, 18.9 miles northwest of Kingwood, 12.7 miles northwest of Humble, 8 miles northwest of The Woodlands, and 25 miles northwest of Houston, Texas.
Historic Spring Texas, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Spring initially a farming community supported by crops, including sugar cane and cotton, Spring was platted by the Houston & Great Northern Railroad in 1873. That same year, Callahan Pickette became the town's first postmaster. In its early years, Spring served as a commercial center for the surrounding area. It was also a focal point for German settlers, including Carl Wunsche, who was prominent in the town's development. The area still has a strong German heritage. A new rail line reached Spring in the early 20th century and, with a roundhouse and railway shops, the town grew in importance as a rail center. Developer R.l. Robinson subdivided land south of the original town, and the commercial area shifted to accommodate the rail junction. The railroads facilitated the development of the lumber industry; Spring boasted a number of mills, both large and small, in the boom era of lumber production. With the boom came the need for new businesses, including hotels, saloons, an opera house, gambling houses, a hospital and a bank. In 1907, residents established the Spring Independent School District. The loss of the roundhouse and the onset of Prohibition led to population decline, and the saloons, hotels, and other rail-supported businesses closed in the 1920s. Still, the dwindling community persisted, creating a volunteer fire department in the 1950s and sustaining its school district, which integrated in the mid-1960s. As the population began to grow again in the early 1970s, new businesses opened, including many specialty shops. With its proximity to a growing urban center and, itself an area commercial center, Spring continues to attract new residents and businesses but retains its unique identity and its link to its early history.” 403 Main Street.
Historic Old Zwink House owned by Puffabelly’s, 1870:
The old farmhouse was built by Jost Wunderlich; it was moved from a nearby farm and placed on the Puffabellys’ Restaurant lot, between the restaurant and some shops. The house was damaged in the fire that destroyed Puffabellys; the owners are restoring the old house. The house is thought to be haunted by a woman who was shot and killed by her husband. 100 Main Street.
Historic Wunsche Bros. Saloon, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“This building was constructed in 1902 by one of Spring's earliest families, the Wunsches, who came here from Germany in 1846. Built to accommodate railroad workers, the Wunsche Bros. Saloon and Hotel, later known as the Spring Cafe, has served as a community gathering place throughout its history. The structure, which exhibits typical turn-of-the-century commercial detailing, is Spring's oldest existing commercial building on its original site. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 103 Midway Street.
Historic Spring Town Bank, 1912:
The old bullet holes inside the former bank are billed as being caused by Bonnie and Clyde during a 1930’s bank robbery; the building is said to be haunted. The bank is located at 115 Midway Street.
Old Town Spring:
This area is located near the original rail yard of the Great Northern Railroad. The area features over 150 shops, restaurants and galleries; many are housed in century old Victorian buildings. The Spring Historical Museum and the Civil War Museum are located in this area. Old Spring Town hosts 5 annual festivals including Springfest Celebration of Easter, Texas Crawfish & Music Festival, PetFest, the Long Horn Rod Run, and Down Home Christmas. For more information, contact the Old Town Spring Preservation League at (281) 353-9310. Old Town Spring is located on tow streets, Main and Midway and the accompanying cross streets. From IH-45, travel 1 mile east on Spring-Cypress Road to where Hardy Road Crosses the railroad tracks. The center of this town is located on Main and Midway Streets, and the cross streets.
Spring Creek Pony Truss Bridge, 1930:
This bridge is located on CR 151.
Spring Historical Museum:
The museum features exhibits, old photographs documents, and other memorabilia depicting the history of Spring. (281) 651-0055. The museum is located in Old Spring Town at 403 Main Street. Street Map
Pearl Fincher Museum of Fine Arts:
The museum exhibits permanent and visiting collections. In a three-year partnership with the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, the Pearl will host a series of exhibitions from the MFAH permanent collection and affiliated institutions. It hosts family and art education programs. Tours and group visits are available by arrangement. (281) 376-6322. 6815 Cypresswood Drive, 77379.
Lone Star College, North Harris:
(281) 618-5400. 2700 W.W. Thorne Drive, Houston, 77073
Barbara Bush Library @ Cypress Creek:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. It also offers free Hoopla Digital, a Netflix type service permitting members to download movies, e-books, music and other entertainment to their personal devices. Up to five may be downloaded each month either in the library or online. Open Mon, 1pm-9pm; Tue & Wed, 10am-9pm; Wed & Fri, 10am-6pm; Sat, 10am-5pm. 6817 Cypresswood Drive, Spring, TX 77379.