Contact
 
 
County
Hidalgo
Region
South Texas Plains
Population
2010 Census - 70,400
2000 Census - 61,360
Nearby
Towns
Pharr, Texas
null
Pharr Texas History:
Pharr is located on a portion of the 1767 Jose Matias Tijerina Spanish land grant. In 1909, John Connally Kelley, Sr., and Henry N. Pharr purchased 16,000 acres of this land with two miles of Rio Grande River frontage. Pharr founded the Louisiana and Rio Grande Canal Company and constructed an irrigation system for his sugar plantation. Kelly formed the Pharr Townsite Company and platted the town of Pharr. By 1911, the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway had arrived, and 4,000 acres had been sold to settlers. When Pharr’s sugar plantation failed, Kelly took over the irrigation system to supply water to area vegetable and cotton farms. Pharr incorporated in 1916. In 1931 it had 105 businesses and 3,225 residents. 30 years later it had 14,106 residents, and produced irrigation equipment, clay products, mattresses, and food harvesting and processing equipment. The town continues to grow due to its proximity to McAllen, the increase of the Hispanic population, and the movement of retirees to the area; Pharr is home to over 10,000 Winter Texans each year. Pharr is located a few miles north of the Rio Grande River at the intersection of U.S. 281 (Cage Boulevard) and U.S. 83 on the eastern edge of McAllen, on the western edge of San Juan, 5 miles west of Alamo, 10.5 miles east of Mission, 9 miles south of Edinburg, and 3.8 miles west of Alamo, 18.8 miles west of Mercedes, 32 miles west of Harlingen, and 10.9 miles northeast of Hidalgo, Texas. 
 
Veterans War Memorial of Texas:
The memorial consists of a beautiful center building surrounded by memorial walls dedicated to veterans from World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and to Veterans of All Wars. The memorial also includes the Hispanic Medal of Honor Plaza and the Texas Medal of Honor Wall. Donations are greatly appreciated. Col. Frank Plummer: (956) 631-2511. The memorial is located adjacent to the City of McAllen’s new Convention Center at the corner of Galveston Avenue and 29th Street in McAllen, 78501. Facebook