Contact
 
 
County
Tom Green
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 93,200
2000 Census - 88,439
Nearby
Towns
San Angelo, Texas
null
San Angelo Texas History:
Shortly after Fort Concho was established on the Concho River in 1867, San Angelo founder Bartholomew (Bart) J. DeWitt, purchased 320 acres of land and established a trading post across the river from the fort. He named it San Angela in memory of his late wife. In 1883, it was renamed San Angelo when the U.S. Postal Service rejected San Angela because it was grammatically incorrect.  
Architect Oscar Ruffini settled in the town in 1882. He designed the early Tom Green County courthouse and approximately forty other buildings in San Angelo. San Angelo’s early economy was based on farming, cattle ranching and business from Fort Concho. San Angelo became a shipping center when the Santa Fe Railroad began providing rail service in 1888. The Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway arrived in 1909. The San Angelo Telephone Company was established in 1899. The company was sold to Southwestern Bell in 1946. Southwestern Bell was sold to General Telephone Company of the Southwest in 1953. By 1989 San Angelo was one of the regional headquarters of GTE. San Angelo incorporated in 1903. Agriculture and ranching continued to be a large part of the town’s economy. It became one of the leading cattle markets and the largest sheep market in the country. The Goodfellow Air Field was established in San Angelo in 1940. Today, Fort Concho is one of the best preserved forts in the United States. Many historic buildings are located on Concho Avenue, San Angelo’s first downtown street. It is listed as a National Historical Landmark. San Angelo is located on the Concho River across from Historic Fort Concho at the intersections of U.S. 67, U.S. 87, U.S. 277, SH 126, and SH 208, 75 miles south of Sweetwater, 31 miles south of Robert Lee, 92 miles southwest of Abilene, 36 miles southwest of Ballinger, 34.miles slightly southwest of Paint Rock, 66.5 miles northwest of Menard, 45 miles northwest of Eden, 66 miles northeast of Sonora, 44.6 miles northeast of Eldorado, 29 miles northeast of Mertzon, and 43 miles southeast of Sterling City, Texas.
 
Goodfellow Air Force Base:
(325) 654-3876. 351 Kearney Boulevard, Suite 215, Goodfellow AFB, Texas 76908.
 
Concho Valley Vietnam Veterans Memorial:
The memorial is located on Knickerbocker Road at the entrance to the San Angelo Regional Airport/Mathis Field. The memorial includes a UH-1H Huey helicopter that served in combat during the Vietnam War.
 
Tom Green County Courthouse, 1928:
The brick and stone courthouse was designed in Classical Revival style with Corinthian columns by architect Anton F. Korn. The 2010 Green County census was 110,224. (325) 653-3318. 112 West Beauregard Avenue. Email